Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Locker Install
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

I am going to attempt to install a front locker on my front differential with parts sourced from Weddle. Does anyone have a step by step install or any information they would like to share with me? I will need some information for machining the case and maybe some certain steps for the retrofit.

Thanks a head of time.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

Well, it only took 3 months.............

Majority of the time was just trying to find a locking diff. I tried sourcing one from 3 different people that were located in the UK, Canada, and Russia, which was just all a waste of my time. Until, someone reached out to me via a private message from this forum and they said they had one. The person ended up being minutes from my house.. so Crazy. The locker already had the spider gears installed so I didn't need to source those (score).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picked up the locker June 1st and started to gather all the pieces I needed to complete the front locker. These parts were easily sourced through, Weddle, GoWesty, Van Cafe, and Audi Sport. While the parts were in route, I dropped the "Pumpkin"

From my research I found out the front locker had two security features from the factory, a safety lock, a twisting motion before pulling out the knob and a blinking light showing that the front locker was engaging, I needed both features. I was able to source the locking plunger and spring through Van Cafe. For the blinking setup from the factory it would be a wiring loom, vacuum sensor and a PCB board. I put out a WTB ad up and someone reached out and they said they had an aftermarket kit that would allow both the front and rear would blink, I purchased this kit because I couldn't find an OEM kit, and I would just retrofit it so that the front would only blink. This aftermarket kit was sold on Van Cafe years ago.. This kit was an expensive purchase, but I wanted the blinking light.
The day the aftermarket kit arrived I received another PM and this gentleman said he had 2 factory kits but he didn't know if they worked, so I purchased both of them and they both worked!!!

I routed the vacuum lines and installed OEM blinking kit. It

I have access to a really small machine shop where I can do some machining as a hobby, so I machined the holes needed for the locker engagement and signal switch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP4kofTlF2z/

The parts all came in around the same time so I slapped it all together with new bearings and reinstalled the front diff, with new CV's and drove it around, and it works!! Just need to test it on some local trails.

A video showing the lights working. Super stoked!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQSEbq-geu9/
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

nice!!
love seeing detailed follow-up posts like this one.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

Great work. Know that when you engage the front dif lock your wheels should be pointed straight and THEY WILL STAY POINTED STRAIGHT! So be sure you have enough runout to disengage the locker before you need to steer in any direction other than straight.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

Ya just gotta be envious of the guys with the lifts and a garage big enough for the lift! 😁

Good work.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

@Microbusdeluxe - Just wanted to clarify, because I have never used a front locker before. You can't/ shouldn't rotate the steering wheel at any degree? So, when climbing up a rutted shoot, I can't pick a line by placing the vehicle were I want to go up, I have to keep the steering wheel straight. I thought I would have some leeway with the turn radius, like at least 10 to 15 degrees on the steering wheel.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

I was with a guy at at DeLaSyncro 2019 who drove his van up onto the "square end of a log" that was higher than the van bumper.
Front locker and solid shaft and 6.17 R&Ps

Straight ahead the bumper would just hit the log, so he maneuvered such that with the wheel turned hard left, the log end was outside the wheel well.
The tire climbed vertically onto the log.

I wish I had a video but I was in the passenger seat.

I would like to have a Peloquin in the front diff.
A locker (and another green light) would be fun too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

So he was able to turn the steering with the front locked and had no issues with breaking a cv?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
So he was able to turn the steering with the front locked and had no issues with breaking a cv?

Turning doesn’t break the CV.
….per se
Tight turning in a very high traction condition could.
The guy at DelaSyncro had 6.17 R&P which puts 25% more torque on the CVs than your 4.86.
That he didn’t break a CV with 6.17s, you shouldn’t worry much that your 4.86 will break them.
Well you will have to try at least 25% harder.

I think once you get it working you will figure it out.
The biggest problem turning with it locked is the physical difficulty.
Experiencing the difficulty turning will demonstrate the high loads on the drivetrain components (CVs too).
You will find that mostly you will lock & unlock just to keep it limbered up.
And to show passengers the light going on and off.

The situations where you need it (beyond a rear locker) will be extreme in reality.
It starts innocently, a video for friends or Facebook.
Then your wife is asking why the van’s all dented up and stuff.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The situations where you need it (beyond a rear locker) will be extreme in reality.

might have to add that to my signature with proper credit. Really funny stuff.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Hilarious and completely true!

I’ve only used the front locker in really loose conditions or when I’ve needed to climb up a stationary obstacle at very very low speed and with total control.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

I have only needed to use my front locker once, in deep sand. I periodically engage it on a dirt/loose surface road but make sure I am traveling straight ahead.

I do not have power steering and let me tell you it is very difficult to turn the steering wheel to the point that it feels like something would snap if I pushed it. So maybe you can steer it, but unless I was going over a cliff, I wouldn't. YMMV.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front Locker Install Reply with quote

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: