Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

finding replacement passenger door
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

i'm looking to replace the passenger door on my 1993 eurovan. it's rusted towards the bottom on the inside. my body guy won't fix it and recommends replacing it. i can't find the part number for the shell. it seems like there is conflicting information online as to the interchangeability between years. can i use a later long nose door shell on my short nose? the wiring harness and glass from my door are ok and the door card is usable. can i just move that over onto the new door if it's a different year? any help is appreciated. thx!
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

The front door should be interchangeable between early and late model. The only differences I know of are the engine mount towers, captive nuts for the front quarter panels, and the sliding door step shape, on the the later van. So the aesthetic change is just front end metal, bumpers and dash.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

Maybe this guy will part off the door
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753856&sid=aaac842253ed9cbf7dc16785744aa5d1
or that other eurovan horde that one thread mentioned.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. assuming that i can use any year for the door shell opens up a lot of possibilities. the ev above is the right color but i found a guy on ebay with both front doors in silver about an hour from here. wrong color but the whole vehicle is going to get a respray this year (i hope). i called him yesterday and he agrees that they should fit so i'm going down there today to take a look. if they are good, i'll bring them home. i've decided to replace both doors while i'm at it since my drivers side door is a little crusty, too. not having to deal with the cost & complications of shipping is a big plus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203360925777?hash=item2f59417851:g:LTUAAOSwAPpgf8CJ
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

well, that was a disaster! after sourcing both front doors and bringing them to my body shop, it turns out the 2002 doors don't fit. vw changed the hinge design. i think the new hinges started in '94 but i'm not sure. i'd really like to get the exact part numbers. still researching this so i don't screw up again. Sad

on the plus side, even though it's obviously my responsibility to get this right, my body shop (sam's in brooklyn) didn't charge me and the wrecker (das auto corp in new brunswick, nj) agreed to take the doors back. Very Happy
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

Sorry, hadn't seen that difference proved prior. Add that to the list of subtle changes between models.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

no worries, i had my concerns because the parts search engines for junk yards seemed to split the doors into two groups: 1) 93 and before, 2) 94 and after. there is also a structural bar inside the new door that isn't present in mine but that didn't look like a problem. nobody noticed the hinge issue until the door wouldn't fit. i have no idea why vw made the change because i think that means they also had to make a change in the body to accommodate the newer doors. maybe they were improving the side crash protection.
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746150&highlight=hoard

I am sure that they have any parts that you need here and they are very knowledgeable about the EV. You can probably even get them in the correct color
chrisg252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

You might want to try these guys. I noticed a couple of older EVs in their yard when I passed last week. They looked like they had been driven their last miles some time ago. Located in Saugerties NY.

https://euronutzgarage.com/

Chris
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

chrisg252 wrote:
You might want to try these guys. I noticed a couple of older EVs in their yard when I passed last week. They looked like they had been driven their last miles some time ago. Located in Saugerties NY.

https://euronutzgarage.com/

Chris

Greetings from a fellow T4 sufferer in the Hudson valley. See you out there sometime.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

General "parting out" link in the Denver area. Looks like there's some good things available both Weekender and Winnebago. https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/commerce-city-volkswagen-eurovan/7313852277.html
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

sorry, i've been offline for a couple of weeks. lots of good suggestions here and i will follow up when i get this sorted. meanwhile, i'm putting the door cards back on my old doors and going camping!
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: finding replacement passenger door Reply with quote

ok, this is finally sorted out so i thought i would post what i have learned...

as noted earlier, not all eurovan doors are the same. they are very very close but somewhere in 1993 they changed the hinge style and there is also a horizontal support bar that isn't in the earlier doors.

there are four variations of front doors listed for both passenger and driver side.
    1993 and earlier manual
    mid 1993 and earlier electric
    updated 1993 and later manual
    updated 1993 and later electric

i have a january 1993 van with the earlier electric doors. i contacted all the places on this thread and more but was unable to find anything within driving distance of me. i eventually found a relatively rust free door on '92 cv in california last spring. since both of my front doors had issues and the main expense was shipping across the country, i bought both doors complete with glass and mirrors and had them tied to a pallette for the trip.

it took months to get the doors because of the "supply chain issues" that have become the norm but when they did arrive, everything appeared to be in good shape. the main issue was that they were crank windows and i had electric windows on my weekender. i knew that they had the correct hinge so the only issue was would the electric windows transfer over? the answer thankfully is yes!

i working now with a small shop in the bronx, t cools autobody, that was recommended to me and i have to say they did an outstanding job. while repainting the door, they let me know that there were no drain holes and they had found some surface rust on the inside panel. someone mentioned previously that ev doors have drains. maybe that is true on the later doors but these definitely do not. so i asked the to drill a couple of small holes at the bottom. i will also be hyper-vigilant about keeping the rubber seal on the window in good condition because that is the source of the problem.

that's it for now. after the summer, hopefully i will finally be in a position to paint the whole van!

ps i now have a driver's side and passenger's side window. if anyone wants them, please contact me asap. they're free but you have to pick them up from me in manhattan and i won't ship them. unfortunately, i have no room to store them so they have to go soon one way or the other!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: