Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

Quote:

Sodo, I just installed the Burley Rear Disc Kit that they offer. It was a very simple installation. Everything fit perfectly and the parts were well packaged and arrived flawless.

I did the bleed first then set the parking brake. The kit came with new parking brake cables that fit very well. I just had to adjust the nut on the handbrake steel bar up about 1.5". Applause Talk about a great kit! Applause

These brakes are great. I have a very steep driveway that the rear drums struggled to keep the van from rolling in reverse. Not these! They hold firm. I even tried to back down the hill in reverse. It would almost kill the engine before I could get it to move. As soon as I pushed the clutch in, it stopped immediately.

The park brake begins to engage on the first click. Three clicks will easily hold and yanking the park brake lever up quickly will almost lock them up.

Once I get them broken in and finally adjusted I will report again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How does the rotor center on the vanagon hub? Is there a centering ring, or is it centered by the diameter of the cut down hub?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup Smallcar REAR disc e-brake (parking brake) Reply with quote

[quote="Franklinstower"]
Quote:
How does the rotor center on the vanagon hub? Is there a centering ring, or is it centered by the diameter of the cut down hub?

I believe it centered on the cut down hub. It didn't move once placed. I also purchased the machined hubs with the kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

If I am seeing the rotor correctly, the studs look loose on the rotor which is why I asked and without the rotor retention set screw/bolt.

Are those the 280 or the 294 rotor? Both fit under a 16" but only the 280 fit under the 15".

Paul
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Here is a T4 rear brake install in a T3, hand brake works well. Think these are the same calpiers as what Burley supplies. Some photos (not mine) are wrong.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/t4-rear-disc-install-in-a-t3.57169/
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

mackaymanx wrote:
Here is a T4 rear brake install in a T3, hand brake works well. Think these are the same calpiers as what Burley supplies. Some photos (not mine) are wrong.

That's cool. So it looks like you did this mod?
Can you skid the rear tires on gravel?
And, after the new-ness of the project fades a little.... ALONG with the disc pads getting glazed over, does it STILL skid the rear tires on gravel? Wink

I want a real parking brake in a bad way.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
mackaymanx wrote:

That's cool. So it looks like you did this mod?
Can you skid the rear tires on gravel?
And, after the new-ness of the project fades a little.... ALONG with the disc pads getting glazed over, does it STILL skid the rear tires on gravel? Wink

I want a real parking brake in a bad way.

That system will skid on gravel with hand brake only.
Give me shout, you can test my T4 set up.
Jon Folks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

1) Screwing it out manually (UK guys)
    2) Pumping the piston out with the footbrake
    3) Smallcar says to push it out by actuating the parking brake 20-30 times.

I recently installed the Small Car rear discs and followed their instructions (option 3) and had no parking brake at all. I contacted Small Car and they told me to pump the brakes. This actually worked well and took 10 minutes. For anyone else who wants to try, the detailed steps are:

-Loosen and disconnect the cables from the coupler under the van
-Start up the van, pump the brakes many times both quickly and slowly with firm pressure
-Re-attach the cables and tighten the coupler adjuster back down
-Test the hand brake and re-adjust the coupler to finalize
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: REAR disc "CALIPER setup HOW-TO" (e-brake/parking brake) Reply with quote

Since the T4 rear disc has that cone shape to it it when I had the new wheel bearing hubs machined down to fit the rotor diameter I asked the machinist to match the shape by putting a chamfer on the edge of the hub.
The rotors center up on the disc just fine.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: