Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No spark, chipped distributor shaft
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keagan07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: No spark, chipped distributor shaft Reply with quote

Hello all,

It's been awhile since my last online presence.

Recently I've put a lot of work into my '71 bus and cleaned up the engine and some wiring to get it ready for the road.

Put in a new coil, tried two different working ones
Installed new electronic ignition module
Replaced the battery (reading 12.4v)
Checked wires for voltage and continuity
Replaced rotor and cap for distributor
Cleaned fuel tank and replaced fuel and filter, fuel is pumping through.

It will turn over perfectly but will not start or get any spark.

Last edited by Keagan07 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keagan07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark, chipped distributor shaft Reply with quote

I took out the distributor and found this. The shaft spins when being turned over. Could this have something to due with the "no spark" issue?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark, chipped distributor shaft Reply with quote

If the rotor turns, you should have spark. It might not be at the right time, but it will spark, regardless of that chip. Yes, that chip is bad and makes me wonder where the rest of it ended up. Sad
You have some confusion statements: cranking and turning over are the same thing. If the engine spins when the starter engages, it is doing both. Is it doing that?
You check voltage & continuity where? To the coil? From the coil?

First, verify you have power to the coil.
Verify you have power from the coil.
Verify that module is installed right and the coil is proper for it.
Do you have points you can swap in to rule out the module?
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Keagan07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark, chipped distributor shaft Reply with quote

Sorry, mean turns over but will not start.

I did mean to mention that I tried timing it with the static method but cannot seem to get a light, no matter how much I tried. but the timing light works.
Figured the issues could also go together.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark, chipped distributor shaft Reply with quote

Then you are not getting either power to the coil, power from the coil, or out of the module.
Start at the coil and move forward. Do you have voltage at the positive terminal at the coil? If no, the trace back. If yes, do you have power out of the coil when cranking? You said you tried multiple coils, right? So if you are not getting power out of the coil, then it’s not getting signal to collapse the field, that would - in my thoughts - point to the module or it’s installation. If there’s power out of the coil, then check cap and rotor.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark, chipped distributor shaft Reply with quote

You should be able to swap the dog gear for one from another distributor. I would get a light and get a peak at the distributor drive and check that it too isn't badly worn. I am wondering if someone installed the distributor with the shaft turned 180° out and the shafts locked together well enough for the distributor to spin, but caused the wear seen.

If this is so and you have now installed the distributor correctly your timing would be 180° out on the cap, so maybe swap the wires 180° around the cap and see it the engine will start. You can always swap them back if it does not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: