Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and engine compartment cleaning question.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

I've done some reading but I could use some tips on the best products and preparation to clean both the engine and the engine area on my bus. I will most likely remove the battery to clean under the tray and remove the rear apron.
Prep:
Besides wrapping with plastic: the carburetor and the distributor cap, wires & various connections what else should I protect from water? Should I wrap the generator?
Product:
I've used Gunk engine cleaner (recently used on a lawnmower but now it leaves a white film) but I would like to use something better that leaves a clear protective film on the paint and the engine. I'll do a tuneup once dry.

This picture is before I replaced the carburetor in 2020, it's filthy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would also like to spray under the engine area near the heater boxes.

I'll install the deck lid seal when dry.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

Simple green for the easy stuff, then wax and grease remover for the harder stuff.

Nothing will protect your engine from becoming dirty. Bus engine compartments are dirty places. The oil comes from your engine, and the dust and dirt comes from the road. You can seal up your engine to reduce the oil content off the surfaces in your engine compartment, but there is nothing you can do for the dirt (other than buying a dusty conditions truck or an Australian bus)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

I cleaned my engine with a dry ice blaster. Works perfect. You can clean the complete underside, too. I would protect the flex lines though. The oily dirt, etc. just freezes and falls off. And the best thing is - no liquid remains...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

My 55 had 66 years of grime..I went with the big guns after trying weaker substitutes,
Try PURPLE POWER EXTREME POWER..works great..that and patients. $18.00 a gal.
Goes along way. Follow instructions.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

I wash the engine compartment of every bus I get going. It makes it much pleasanter to do a tune-up.
If you have a well maintained engine, it doesn't get too gross in there. But it does get some dust and some oily ooze.
I wash my engine compartment again from time to time, maybe every few years.

I would avoid purple power, I've seen it affect the original paint.

I use SIMPLE GREEN. Spray generously everywhere the engine is dirty. spray engine lid, roof of engine compartment, by crank pulley, around oil sender, just everywhere.
Spray by axle boots under the bus, and everywhere oily under there. look at brake backing plates, etc. spray simple green at thermostat, underside of cylinders
Wear something you don't mind getting dirty.
Drive to self serve car wash.

Do not clean it with an uncapped distributor. Put a cap on it, or an aircleaner. You don't want to get water in there.

It's okay to leave the battery in place.
It's okay to leave it running. Or shut it off.

The water will spray back out you.
Take your glasses off, tie your hair out of the way.

I use $10 of quarters at the self serve car wash.
Ignore anyone who wants to talk to you while the machine is eating quarters.

Do the underside first. Get up at the push rod tubes,/underside of cylinders, bottom of case, underside of tranny, inner side of RGBs, insides of rims.

get the roof of the engine compartment.
avoid hitting paper hoses.
it's okay to blast the generator,
at above the gas tank, in both corners
get down by the crank pulley
If you get water into the distributor, then you have to pop the cap and dry inside the cap with a clean dry cloth to get it to start.

The brakes may be bad when first driven after this, if you get water in the brakes. Pump the brakes a few times and it'll be okay. Test brakes before getting on the street.

The test drive of this bus was to the car wash:
we had not yet installed the bumper or apron.

get the jackpoints:

wash the doglegs out:

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

It wants a rubber grommet where the metal brake line goes through the tab bolted by the RGB

You can also spray simple green and pressure wash up inside the wheel arches.

Bus looks sweet!

LAGrunthaner wrote:

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

All good advise, I use purple power on tin with engine out. So yea my bad.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

Thanks Clara, that is an old picture, I did replace the rubber grommet on the brake line bracket several years ago as per suggestions here, which I am grateful for the observation. I will use Simple Green even though it never seemed strong enough in the past. Perhaps I just didn't leave it on long enough? Maybe I need to hose it with water first before applying and the leave it on a bit longer? One of my biggest concerns is getting water where it shouldn't be. I'm going to do it in my driveway until my tuneup is completed. I have a pressure washer at home and I'll be careful to only use that unit on the underside to prevent too much power of water where it shouldn't be.

Clara wrote:
It wants a rubber grommet where the metal brake line goes through the tab bolted by the RGB

You can also spray simple green and pressure wash up inside the wheel arches.

Bus looks sweet!

LAGrunthaner wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Thanks Clara, that is an old picture, I did replace the rubber grommet on the brake line bracket several years ago as per suggestions here, which I am grateful for the observation. I will use Simple Green even though it never seemed strong enough in the past. Perhaps I just didn't leave it on long enough? Maybe I need to hose it with water first before applying and the leave it on a bit longer? One of my biggest concerns is getting water where it shouldn't be. I'm going to do it in my driveway until my tuneup is completed. I have a pressure washer at home and I'll be careful to only use that unit on the underside to prevent too much power of water where it shouldn't be.

ah, yes, old pic. Smile

I have found that letting it soak makes a difference. No need to pre-wet, but do apply generously and let it soak in ~20-30 minutes.

I am a fan of using a pressure washer to clean up dirty engine compartments. If the engine is not a wet rag, it does stay fairly clean for quite some time. Problem is, when I've got a bus, odds are that it hadn't been cleaned in ages, and the engine has been leaking oil all over the place, which means doing a simple tune up turns me into a filthy mess.

(On the other hand, the oil protects the paint in the engine compartment, and generally is anti-rust.
On the third hand, oil is bad for the wiring.)

Keeping water from draining down the carb into the inside of the engine is important, but a snugly attached air cleaner should do the trick.
Water in the generator doesn't seem to be a problem.
As you can see, I've used the pressure washer in the engine compartment.
It's easy to blast holes in the paper hoses, so ... I try not to do that.
That's the main things- don't blast the hoses, and don't get water down the carb.

The engine in the orange bus in that pic above has done about 60K miles since, it has been in our blue 56 westy for the past 15 years.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and engine compartment cleaning question. Reply with quote

Instead of plastic I like to use Aluminum Foil. It conforms well to odd shaped surfaces, especially Distributors.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: