Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decoupler not disengaging
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

I installed a decoupler (the one from Van Cafe) when I had the transaxle out during the restoration of my Doka. Since getting it back on the road last month I had been noticing that the decoupler would engage quickly, however when disengaging the switch, it would take a very long time to disengage, I could drive around 20-30 minutes with the knob in waiting for the light to out before it finally would disengage. I suspected a vacuum issue, but when checking the vacuum lines everything checked out. Even when using a Mity-Vac to manually try to disenage it still wouldn't decouple regularly when tried, though in time it would always release when it saw fit.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, when I tried the decoupler again, it engaged quickly, but not disengaging. In fact now it wouldn't disengage at all, drove around several days with the knob in and the light still on. So yesterday I decided to pull the driveshaft (was intending on doing that anyways to replace the worn internal bushings), and remove the whole decoupler. To my surprise, when all unbolted, it wouldn't come off. No natter how much a pulled, I could only separate the housing about a 1/4" from the rest of the transaxle. I had to stick a flat screwdriver up between the casings and pry the splined coupler piece off the output shaft.

Once I finally pried it off, I examined the decoupler and shaft, no damage, nothing else amiss. From what I can tell, it seems when coupled the 2 pieces created a strong vacuum between then and did not want to let go. I wanted to see if anyone has also experienced this? I've not seen any mention of it when searching.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

I’m not understanding this “vacuum” force of the coupler on the output spline.
The coupler is a sleeve, open on both ends, there is no way to involve vacuum.
Is there another way to describe the problem you’re seeing?
With pics maybe?

Of course the coupler should slide easily off the output spline.
If you had to pry it off with a screwdriver theres no hope that the little vacuum actuator could pull it off.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I’m not understanding this “vacuum” force of the coupler on the output spline.
The coupler is a sleeve, open on both ends, there is no way to involve vacuum.
Is there another way to describe the problem you’re seeing?
With pics maybe?

Of course the coupler should slide easily off the output spline.
If you had to pry it off with a screwdriver theres no hope that the little vacuum actuator could pull it off.

No pics of it, as I have it apart now, and everything appears normal, splines on the output shaft and the coupler sleeve show no damage.

I know it doesn't make much sense, for the sleeve to create a vacuum, but when I pried it off there was a definite sucking sound.

With it off, the decoupler is working fine, using the Mityvac it functions as it should and doesn't require much vacuum at all for the actuator rod to more in and out.

The only thing I can do is clean the spines on the output shaft some (there's some old oil sludge in the splines, but I can't see that being what made the thing stick) and put it back together.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638795&highlight=

Check this thread and seeif this helps at all. My issue was the indicator switch. They sometimes use a reverse light switch which requires like 6-9#s pressure to allow the shaft to move. The vacuum is only like 4#s pressure if i recall. I installed a proper syncro diff lock switch and it fixed my issue. U can loosen the switch and see if it will engage and disengage as a test. Your light will not work but you should be able to tell if the decoupler is working properly or not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Also pry up/down side/side on the output spline, is there any slop in the output shaft bearing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's 3 bearings all in a line on one shaft (from the pinion of the R&P) to the output "splined sleeve".
The stiffness of the shaft will mightily resist slop!
This is a wild, un-educated inquiry but I would certainly pry on the spline while the decoupler's off.
Definitely something strange happening here.

This cutaway diagram of the 094 Syncro trans doesn't show the case connection between the decoupler (nosecone) and the "low gear housing".
it can be confusing. There's also the '3rd shaft' of the 'transfer case' that is not shown, so don't be surprised if it confuses you but it's all we've got.

It makes sense there would be a sucking sound as you pulled the decoupler shaft out of the coupling, because the pinion shaft is covering the hole.
But there shouldn't be any suction in sliding the coupler from one shaft over to the other because there is no "displacement".

Maybe I can get some input from SyncroShop if he's around.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

No perceivable play in the output shaft.

Going to cleanup the output shaft splines and casings and put it back together, as nothing seems wrong with it. On the bench the decoupler works with very little vacuum needed, so the light switch isn't stopping it.

When I reassemble, I'm going to fill the bearing hole and sleeve with assembly lube, and coat the output splines as well, so no air can get trapped in it. I can't explain why the thing is sticking, other than some type of void creating suction, even if that seems implausible as a cause.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

garbaldie wrote:
No perceivable play in the output shaft.

Going to cleanup the output shaft splines and casings and put it back together, as nothing seems wrong with it. On the bench the decoupler works with very little vacuum needed, so the light switch isn't stopping it.

When I reassemble, I'm going to fill the bearing hole and sleeve with assembly lube, and coat the output splines as well, so no air can get trapped in it. I can't explain why the thing is sticking, other than some type of void creating suction, even if that seems implausible as a cause.

I wouldn't put anything but gear oil on that spline.
The vacuum you describe in separating the shafts is not a plausible cause.

In-use. the shafts are not pulled apart, there is no vacuum created by sliding the coupler across the shaft ends.
It should operate very easily with gear oil as the lube, don't need to put another lube in the mix that won't be there when you're driving.

You should be able to make it couple and decouple up on the lift with your mityvac, ensuring driveline slacking "by hand". You can do this just fitting the decoupler for testing, not 'sealing' the decoupler flange yet, until you've confirmed proper decoupler operation.

Ya know, if your tire diameters are not matched there will be constant tension on the spline that the little blue actuator may be incapable of overcoming.

And just getting kinda wild here, another member had some trouble with front and rear differential R&Ps not matched. 4.57 rear, 4.86 front.
Which is a horrendous problem.
I only suggest that because it has actually happened. If you have mixed trans and front diff around, you must be certain they have the same R&P. There are several possibilities 4.86, 4.57, 5.43, 6.17 etc.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I chatted a little with Syncroshop and he said sometimes one or both of the alignment sleeves are missing.
The two sleeves ensure alignment of the shafts that you want the coupler to slide across.
They can be on the low-gear housing or the decoupler, it doesn’t matter.

garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Definitely no issues with mis-matched ring and pinons in the front and back. Tires are all new so that shouldn't be putting pressure on the driveline. Also both of the alignment sleeves are present on the low-gear housing, so when mounted it's in proper alignment.

Test fitted the decoupler back on the transaxle, it engaged/disengaged fine. So fully sealed everything back up. With the Mity-vac takes about 5 in-Hg to engage and disengage now. Whether or not it says that way in real operation is yet to be seen, still waiting on the new bushings for the driveshaft before putting that back in back in.

Though none of this still explains why it was stuck being engaged. Shouldn't had to have pried the sleeve off of the output shaft to remove it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

How was your sequence of tightening the cover bolts and torque method?
Just wondering if the cover may have flexed as it was tightened.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
How was your sequence of tightening the cover bolts and torque method?
Just wondering if the cover may have flexed as it was tightened.

On the original install, I don't recall. On this remounting, worked in a star pattern, starting with the two bolts with the alignment sleeves. Tightened to finger tight to let the sealant cure some, then snug, then the final 14 foot lbs. If there was any flex in the previous mounting, shouldn't be now.

The only other thing I can think of is if the worn driveshaft bushings somehow causing the decoupler to bind somewhat when it would rattle, which of course only happens when coupled. When not coupled, the driveshaft is just free spinning, so no force is applied over the bushings and the rubber donut.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Does your Low gear housing show evidence of "repair" or stress?
People bust them by bump-starting in reverse, and if that has happened it might cause a shaft mis-alignment.
If you see any welding that would be a huge clue.

Another way low-gear housings get busted is if the synchronizer rivets come loose then go thru the gears.

Lugging a big diesel in granny pounds these rivets, loosening them, and they come out.
Some builders remove the granny synchronizer for big diesels.
But the rivets can come out with normal engines too.
Don't lug. It seems like bad form, but slipping your clutch on a Syncro is much better than adding fatigue cycles from lugging.
Clutches are very cheap in comparison to busting your low-gear housing (like $8-10,000 less!)

I have a friend who bought a Syncro that came with a welded lowgear housing.
Low gear housings are no longer manufactured, so all the cracked ones are coming out of the junk-bins and getting repaired.
He eventually located a low-gear housing from Europe.

garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Does your Low gear housing show evidence of "repair" or stress?
People bust them by bump-starting in reverse, and if that has happened it might cause a shaft mis-alignment.
If you see any welding that would be a huge clue.

Another way low-gear housings get busted is if the synchronizer rivets come loose then go thru the gears.

Lugging a big diesel in granny pounds these rivets, loosening them, and they come out.
Some builders remove the granny synchronizer for big diesels.
But the rivets can come out with normal engines too.
Don't lug. It seems like bad form, but slipping your clutch on a Syncro is much better than adding fatigue cycles from lugging.
Clutches are very cheap in comparison to busting your low-gear housing (like $8-10,000 less!)

I have a friend who bought a Syncro that came with a welded lowgear housing.
Low gear housings are no longer manufactured, so all the cracked ones are coming out of the junk-bins and getting repaired.
He eventually located a low-gear housing from Europe.

Nope no damage or evidence of repair, when I bought the truck in 2017, I got it from a man in his 90s who'd owned it since 1993, don't think he ever abused it much.

I would think if there was some sort of mis-alignment with the shaft there would be more problems engaging, but it has always been almost instantaneous when the knob is pulled. Also when testing with the Mity-vac after mounting it, when feeling the flange as the vacuum was applied you could feel and also hear a smooth action of the sleeve on and off.

That's why I posted this, as nothing seemed to be awry when taken apart, so it seems to be a mystery as to why it became stuck so firmly.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoupler not disengaging Reply with quote

Ok so now it seems to disengage smoothly?
That’s good news.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: