Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber doors?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
The rubber plugs are not installed. You can see the carb adjusting screws. Best way - mark location with carbs installed - remove carbs and drill from inside out, You can do the same for your spark plugs if really needed
However, with the correct tool you will get the plugs out. Just a magnetic socket + short wobble extension and a flex ratchet.

I use the top wrench to get to the plugs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

But what about us with late supers with those shock bumper mounts? where are the access panels for that??
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
But what about us with late supers with those shock bumper mounts? where are the access panels for that??

Did you see Glenn photo on page 1?? 74-79 same rear shock mounts.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Actually the 1.5" holes are for accessing #1 and #3 spark plugs, #2 and #4 can be accessed from inside the engine compartment.

Currently I have Weber IDAs and the adjustment screws are on a 45* angle and I can get a long screwdriver on them from the top and between the inside of the fender well and the carb. Previously, I had Dellortos and drilled a few small holes so I can run a screwdriver in from under the fender to the screws... I have since welded them shut since I no longer need them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

I saw some holes sir, but they looked pre existing. I didn't see any other that would allow access to the plugs. Unless they were hidden or I didn't see them....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

I saw some holes sir, but they looked pre existing. I didn't see any other that would allow access to the plugs. Unless they were hidden or I didn't see them....

Big round hole in the middle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

that hole just above where that blue wire goes across the inner fender?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

that hole just above where that blue wire goes across the inner fender?

yes, a straight shot at the spark plug.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:

Cut them above the bumper mount and make your own covers out of sheet steel (or aluminum) like mine:

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber doors? Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Cut them above the bumper mount and make your own covers out of sheet steel (or aluminum) like mine:

I made a cover similar to this (but not as good looking) in mid-1970s to access the #3 and #4 spark plugs on my 1835cc DP engine which had the dealer-installed DPD air conditioning. Mine removed from under the fender though. Back in those days with leaded gasoline, the spark plugs needed to be changed way more often.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: