Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

My '63 double-cab came to me with black shift knob & e-brake release button, but ivory knobs on all dash switches and pop-outs, along with ivory grab-handle. The truck was original paint and unmolested at the time I got it, so it makes me wonder if it came that way. Informed opinions?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

My early '65 DC came the same way. If I recall, an ivory heater knob too.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

I forgot that one, mine is black.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
hitest wrote:

I forgot that one, mine is black.

Great now I wish I could remember for certain... Shocked Very Happy

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

It's possible that the dealer did it as a selling point to make their sales 'unique'.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

Possible? I guess so. Likely a dealership did that? ...Not at all. I'd say 50-60 years of owners, tinkerers and mechanics is more likely...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

My 63 double cab used as a delivery vehicle by a VW dealer for years with sub 60K (bought a long time ago now)

was black wheel, black turn signal, black knobs, pulls and white grab handle

white door handles too
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

Ojai63dbl wrote:
My 63 double cab used as a delivery vehicle by a VW dealer for years with sub 60K (bought a long time ago now)

was black wheel, black turn signal, black knobs, pulls and white grab handle

white door handles too

That makes a good point- my '65 DC has ivory door handles. It has a black wheel/signal switch/column combo. It has ivory knobs and handle and vent box flipper. Ivory on things you grab- black on things you grip? Thanks VW

FU#5
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

So what about a radio? Dealer installed option, I assume. Did they ever come with black buttons and knobs? I ended up with ivory buttons and knobs on my Retrosound Hermosa, despite trying to get black.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
So what about a radio? Dealer installed option, I assume. Did they ever come with black buttons and knobs? I ended up with ivory buttons and knobs on my Retrosound Hermosa, despite trying to get black.

Yes.

The black button Sapphire I in this Double Cab had the push buttons painted though:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Black radio knobs I have seen both painted and actual cast black knobs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

I've replaced the dash knobs with cast black. Seriously thinking about painting the knobs and buttons on the radio, which apparently was done and is therefore acceptable. I'm obviously not a vintage nazi, but when it's cheap and easy to be correct, I'll go for it.

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

62 DC all black on the dash.

But rear pop outs have the white nubs at the ends. I’ve heard they are barn door they reused for the early double cabs.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

Here's a way to make a regular knob work with the radio.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304973&highlight=radio+knob
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Here's a way to make a regular knob work with the radio.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304973&highlight=radio+knob

Funny, I just spent some time in the shop this afternoon modifying my last black knob to fit. The radio shafts are 5mm diameter. At first I thought about just threading them, but it would be tough to start the die straight and keep the shaft from turning, so I decided to go with a light press fit. The shaft being split, it is easy to get it tight enough to stay on. Held the knob in a 7/8 collet in the lathe and drilled it 3/16. Pushed on and stayed, though I would like it to be a little tighter. Will probably order a couple more knobs and finish the job.

I like the idea of flattening the nail to make a driver, but it really isn't necessary.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
62 DC all black on the dash.

But rear pop outs have the white nubs at the ends. I’ve heard they are barn door they reused for the early double cabs.

DCs did not use BD latches on the pop outs.
Early DCs had their own version of pop out latches. I'm sure there is a thread on early DC pop outs latches somewhere, with pics.

62-67 buses and DC trucks used the same pop out latches, which have white knobs/nubs.

62-64 white dash grab handle with black ends (all models)
65-67 white dash grab handle with white ends. (all models)
The white ends generally fell apart, while the black ends last much better.

62-64 all models used grey sunvisors (except turkis type IIs had ice blue sunvisors)
65-67 all models used white sunvisors, with a bumpier texture than 62-64

All plastic inner door handles were white.

Radios were accessories.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-cab Knob & Grab-Handle Color Reply with quote

Thanks for "clarafying" some of the details Clara.

Here it is with black knobs on the radio. One is painted, the other is cast black.
MUCH better than the ivory knobs.
Seriously considering painting the buttons now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: