Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas in oil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil Reply with quote

LancA2C wrote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To test for diaphragm leakage, all you have to do is connect the input fitting of the (removed from engine) pump to some
container of gas held above the fitting. A small funnel that you can fit a hose over the bottom of, for instance. Work the
operating lever of the pump a few times till
gas starts emerging from the output. This ensures the upper diaphragm chamber is filled with gas.
If there's a leak, it will start running out the vent hole in
the bottom side of the diaphragm chamber. Contrary to the assertions of many here, gas will not
leak down into the lever chamber (and eventually into the crankcase if the pump was installed) unless
there's an absolute flood of gas thru the diaphragm. So, if your pump was operating and you didn't get
a bunch of gas running onto the top of your engine, you can forget the pump diaphragm as a source
of the gas in your oil.

VW installed a version of the "non-rebuildable" fuel pumps with a fuel cutoff valve on some Type 1 vehicles, but not
in the '71 busses. There might be one for sale in the classifieds here. Failing that, I would suggest getting a rebuilt
stock Pierburg "square-top" fuel pump from one of the rebuilders who advertise here on thesamba.com, because
they have a built-in fuel cutoff valve which is designed to eliminate slow leakage of fuel from the tank into the
engine, which is likely the cause of your gassy oil.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil Reply with quote

LancA2C wrote:
Not sure if I'm in the right place.

I've got a '71 Westie that was sitting in the bush for 25 yrs. It's now up and running , the problem I'm having is fuel in the crank case. After installing a new
stock carb. , it's been driven about 50 miles. My feeling is that the diaphragm in the pump is the source.
Bentley claims you can't access the diaphragm in these pumps so they have to be replaced. My question is : is there a procedure to bench test the pump to determine if that is the problem? I've drained the oil and puled the pump It is the original and it would be nice to keep it in service.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you pull the pump and the grease has been washed out of the foot area, pretty safe to assume the diaphragm is shot and its leaking into the case. I have run into this quite a bit and just had it happen on my 65 bug. Checked the oil and it was about 1/2 qt high. Pulled the pump and some of the grease was gone. Pump replacement and oil change...all good.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: