Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

I slowed down in the hobby 10 years ago when kids came along. Just came back to check in on things. It seems like values have gone a little crazy! The 21/23 window buses were going for mad money back then but now all the split windows are crazy prices. And bugs...$3,500 for a rolling incomplete chassis with no engine? Is that really what these are going for?

Guess I'm just a little baffled. What did I miss?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

Well, that is what they are asking... what they actually sell for? I'm not sure.

But I have seen prices way up generally, though every so often you find a gem, like a friend's recent purchase, a good looking '71 Ghia for $2800, running!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

Busses became expensive about 15 years ago. Pretty much all the spit windows went up, with the special models bringing in the highest numbers. Last 5 years or so Bay windows have even started bringing in more money.

With the Bug and Ghia it all depends on year. The late 60's and 70's models are still very cheap. The mid 60's models haven't gone up much in the last 10 years. Pre '57 models have gone up tho.

You can still find a 1958-1967 Bug anywhere from $2500 for a running project car in semi rough shape to maybe 10k for a nice well preserve original car or one with a nice restoration. Maybe a couple grand or so more for a pristine show winner.

Ovals and low lights add about 3 grand to those numbers.

A nice split window Bus could easily reach triple those numbers.

But yes, as always lots if people ask a bit too much and the cars never sell...
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

Just keep shopping as there are a few to be had at a decent price. What ever you purchase may need some more funds to get it correct to your liking.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

All used cars have gone up in 2020-2021 compared to 2019

Classic cars more so. VW's seem to be following along with everything else.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SegaGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

TUDrewser wrote:
...Guess I'm just a little baffled. What did I miss?

Don't feel bad, I've been trying to get back into a bay for a few years now and have seen the prices more than doubled. I take screen shots of the auctions that I miss out on (outbid by maybe $50) and recently looked back and kick myself for not jumping more aggressively on some of those chances. I've seen some of those buses start out at around $5K, a flipper buys them cleans them up a bit (even vinyl paint on interior) and gets $12K. Seen the Brazilian buses go from $5-9K to listing at $29-49K all within the last couple years. Yikes!

To top it off fraud is so bad now no one trusts anyone. I tried to reach out to a reputable seller on the Samba a few years ago on a '72 and they flat out ignored my multiple messages (thought I was a scammer?).
They had a recent listing but I didn't bother to try since they ignored me the first time (guess there really are a ton of scammers). I have over 1000FB on eBay but that is where the prices are worst!

Last edited by SegaGT on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

Sitting on your thumb on the internet isn’t market research. While the sheep bleat that splits sell for 30k, private transactions amd finds go for much much less. You have to do the work in your local scene or travel to where there is one.

In the past year I’m aware of 5 splits that sold under 5k each ranging from project to decent condition, mostly complete.
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

I look at https://oldbug.com/sales.htm and am shocked to see what some of the asking prices are. But they wouldn't ask if they didn't get them?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
I look at https://oldbug.com/sales.htm and am shocked to see what some of the asking prices are. But they wouldn't ask if they didn't get them?

They get those prices from people who just want to shop from the internet, in short
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
pitargue wrote:

They get those prices from people who just want to shop from the internet, in short

Oldbug is generally is advertising nice cars that need very little and are well represented with tons of pics.
It's rare that a well-advertised anything is a good deal.

We don't know the sales prices, although I wouldn't expect some huge drop from what is being asked.

I agree with others that if you can find something off the internet from a private seller it may be much cheaper.
This is getting tougher and tougher and it's not cheap to get something going again either, unless you get really lucky.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

This is getting tougher and tougher and it's not cheap to get something going again either, unless you get really lucky.

Yes, especially when the seller says “have you seen what they’re going for on The Samba?” Evil or Very Mad

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Yes, especially when the seller says “have you seen what they’re going for on The Samba?” Evil or Very Mad

“No, but I have seen what they ask for and don’t get on the Samba”

Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I have heard that at swap meets for parts but it's usually something like "I could get $150 for it on Samba but I want $50 here".

Sure you could get $150, that's why you'll sell it for $50 right now... that makes sense.

Cars it's usually "Barrett-Jackson".
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I have heard that at swap meets for parts but it's usually something like "I could get $150 for it on Samba but I want $50 here".

Sure you could get $150, that's why you'll sell it for $50 right now... that makes sense.

but...it's not far from the truth...

take it way for 50 now when the 150 samba price has endless back and forth between seller/buyer/flake plus shipping etc. and after all of the gymnastics of selling on the samba you'd still net that 50 bux

i've used that same line except i'll word it as "i can throw it online and get more than that" because i think it gives TS a black eye.

funny... i know people who bitch about prices yet post ads here for the moon and stars when they sell something.....because all of a sudden if they are selling it becomes more valuable because it belongs to them yet they will shit on the same ad for the same part for the same money as being too expensive

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

The price of almost everything is going up. But in our hobby I think SOME of
it has to do with these car auctions like Barret-Jackson and Mecum.

The so called "experts" look over a car and call it original when it has flames painted on the side, chrome wheels, and the car is bagged.

This in turn creates the "I have one of those" in my barn, garage, backyard. I can get the almost the same amount. People pay these prices and start a snowball effect of artificially inflating the value of the car. Eventually pushing out
the new guy trying to get into the hobby.
So when there are not more VW shows, cars are disappearing, and prices become astronomical for simple things, people shouldn't complain. It was caused by our own "hobbyists"
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

I still give people good deals and fair prices on the parts and cars I sell but mainly priced on the premise that for what I'm asking you couldn't go out and build it from scratch.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^ Applause Applause Applause Applause ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do the same..vwinovater
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Been gone a while..what's the story on classic VW prices/values? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
EverettB wrote:

but...it's not far from the truth...

take it way for 50 now when the 150 samba price has endless back and forth between seller/buyer/flake plus shipping etc. and after all of the gymnastics of selling on the samba you'd still net that 50 bux

i've used that same line except i'll word it as "i can throw it online and get more than that" because i think it gives TS a black eye.

funny... i know people who bitch about prices yet post ads here for the moon and stars when they sell something.....because all of a sudden if they are selling it becomes more valuable because it belongs to them yet they will shit on the same ad for the same part for the same money as being too expensive

Would you believe there are several forums on samba dedicated to talking shit about other peoples cars and parts? If I see something overpriced I keep walking or scrolling 😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: