Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column Collar
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Replacing my old column with a new tilt column. Turning out to be a major project. Hope some one here can help me out. I need to shorten the column and have to cut a portion of the tube to do so. At the bottom of the column there is a bushing I need to remove in order to slide the portion of the cut out from the bottom. I don't think it has bearings, but I tried to wiggle it out with a pair of pliers, but it wouldn't budge. Any Ideas as to how to remove this collar? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Its most likely just pressed in.... Wiggle harder....May even have to get brutal...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Thanks Dale , I figured that.. Have to take it out of the buggy and start working While I have your attention. I'm using these joints to hook it up together, but the joint I'm using feels a bit sloppy over the splined part of the rack and pinion in the buggy. .Its a 5/8''-36 splined joint. It doesn't fit quite snug over the splined part of the rack. Could there be something smaller i could use? I can't seem to find anything smaller.. The joint has a set screw to tighten it down, but it still feels loose to me. Any Ideas?.... Thanks again....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

That end bearing might be peened into the tube. What about carefully cutting the tube around the diameter then sliding the section off (bearing included) where you might be able to get a better look at it?

You can also check Borgeson for some real nice ujoints. Thats what I used for the few buggies I built with tilt.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Have you tried looking here...

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2&page=1

So many U joints so many different shaft sizes, and yes you can have a shaft size that does not fit any available U joint...

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Wow thank you for the link. I'll go through it as soon as I can..
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Wow thank you for the link. I'll go through it as soon as I can..

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is going outside the VW community....

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Great suggestion re: Borgeson... Rolling Eyes
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column Collar Reply with quote

Well still working on the column. Called borgenson, and explained my dilemma. They said that that the size of the splined end at the rack could be an odd size, I told them it looked like a 5/8-36 and they agreed. So they sent two different sizes, one 5/8-36 and the next size smaller 9/16-36 . Neither of them fit. they were gracious enough to take them back. And they couldn't guess as to what size I have. BTW, those tack welds are in there tight. Using a dremel to cut them out.. Slow process. A buddy mechanic suggested I use the old ujoint and weld it on to the new column after I cut it down. Hope I don't screw this up, then I'll have to start over, and I'll be out 200 bucks. We shall see.....To be continued....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: