Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
You have such talent with the camera! Of course with such a beautiful subject and amazing background, you can't go wrong. I notice the front badge has not been replaced yet. I couldn't help but feel that something was odd with that picture. It took a while but I finally noticed what it was. Think

Thanks for the comments!
Good spot about the badge. The original flew off one day and was squashed on the road. I did ‘repair’ it, but it looks a bit of a state. I have a second hand replacement but it needs a new pin glueing on so it is in my ‘to do’ pile.
The good news is the ‘to do’ pile is getting smaller, as I have taken the chance of early retirement from work, so I have a bit more time on my hands (and I am very happy about that!)

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

McDonald, don't worry about that so much, Marc is just so fixated with his front nose badge that he couldn't wait for his Ghia to be completed to put it on, and then point out everyone else who is missing theirs!!! I shall hold out to the final piece!!!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Since the work on the valve adjusters in the autumn the Ghia has hardly been driven but, when it has there are two problems: the engine cuts out at idle once it is warm, and there is a lot of popping from the exhaust on deceleration.
I knew there were a couple of small exhaust leaks, so I spent a couple of days removing the exhaust, cleaning up the connections and refitting with new gaskets and exhaust paste. The popping is still there, but I think I have addressed the leaks!
So, back to square one and I have the car on a ramp. I double checked the valve clearances and they are fine.
I wasn’t sure that the points looked clean on the contact surfaces, so I installed a new set. I will set static timing in the morning and, once warmed up, set the timing properly and adjust the carb. I cleaned out the carb jets this evening, especially the idle jet.
I hope the full service will solve the problem, as the car usually runs so sweetly!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

It ended up taking a full day to sort out the two tuning problems: stalling at idle and popping from the exhaust. I started from scratch and worked through valves, points, timing and carb settings (including finally getting the altitude adjuster settings correct!)
The problems I dealt with on the way included installing faulty brand new points (eventually diagnosed with the multimeter and the old points put back in), my ancient timing light finally failing (excuse to get a new one), and eventually following the advice in the troubleshooting section of the Bentley and richening the mixture to take away the pops on deceleration.
All running super smooth again after all of that!

I was also cheered up to discover that the original spec Solex 30 PICT-3 that I was planning to restore and fit has actually already been restored. By me. Three years ago! I even wrote a Samba thread about it, how could I have forgotten? All I need to do is fit it now...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Also, I fitted a 12v plug on a vintage magnetic inspection lamp I got for the spares and repair kit. Looks pretty cool and is still in the box.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I had free time today so I thought I would fit the original spec 30 PICT-3 carb. It’s almost perfect, with two throttle arms for the altitude adjuster/throttle positioner, but the part number is actually for a bus (starts 211…). The first pic is the old carb.
I took off the old carb and cleaned up and swapped the throttle positioner diaphragm arrangement. It fitted back on perfectly, but I had to rewire the choke and cut-off solenoid, as the cut-off is on the opposite side than the old H30/31.
I had fitted the stock jets from the Bentley specs and when I went for a test run with the wide band AFR it was tuned quite lean (as expected) but didn’t even richen up at full throttle. So, I swapped in progressively larger main jets (112.5 to 120 to 127.5) and by the end I had AFR’s of 14 at idle, 13.5 at light cruise and 13.5 at wide open throttle. That’s ok, but I would be keen to try and get it lean at light cruise and maybe a bit richer at WOT, but I have run out of jets of the sizes I need (and time!)
We’re hoping for a nice long test run tomorrow, there might even be pics.

paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Great job cleaning it up, such a difference from what you started with.
What did you use to get such a great result?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Hi Paul, basically home made soda blaster, metal polish and wax but also zinc plated the steel parts. Thread here if you’re interested!

Carb refurb thread

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Well, today’s relaxing drive didn’t go totally to plan!
On the plus side, we had a lovely walk in the sunshine, a packed lunch and coffees from a flask. Idyllic.
The Ghia sadly had cause to make me worry on the walk. After the full tune-up yesterday everything was running sweetly but after about half an hour she started to idle slowly, eventually cutting out at junctions. Also, the popping from the exhaust that we had before, started slightly. It had been improved before by richening the mixture, so I figured there was maybe a small inlet air leak from the new carb. I had reused the gaskets, so it could be them but I decided it must be the throttle shaft bushings. The carb seemed lightly used before I cleaned it up, but of course you can’t rely on anything second hand!

After the walk the engine was really stalling, so I blindly used the mixture screw to give more fuel. A little better. Then, on the motorway, I was down on power and starting to backfire and then the engine cut out completely after a loud backfire and we ground to a halt…

Out with the tools. Fiddling with the carb wouldn’t make it start, so I checked: fuel, ok, points gap, looked alright. Ok, let’s check static timing with a timing light. Ok, somethings not right, the light stayed lit a long way forward and back from TDC. Eh?…

Then, took off the distributor cap to see where the rotor was pointing. It was miles off, so I gave it a twist and it spun freely. Oh sheeeet! At this point I was sure something had broken deep in the engine, but luckily, the distributor had just worked loose and probably gradually advanced the timing before it popped up and disengaged the drive dog.

Got things running again and made it home and, after a cup of tea, rechecked everything from the start: points dwell, strobe timing and then the idle speed and mixture at the carb. I was delighted to find that it ran like a dream on a test drive: held idle speed, no popping or backfiring and plenty of power. Maybe I don’t need to get the carb rebushed after all!

I don’t know what the moral is here, other than make sure you have a good basic tool kit!

Some pics from the day, to show it wasn’t wasted!

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

A perfect ending. Problem solved and a smile on the patient wife’s face.
You car looks fantastic by the way.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Impressive attention to detail in all your threads, you leave no stone unturned well done!!

May I ask you which "wide band AFR" gauge are you using and how are you connecting it up?

Thanks in advance.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Impressive attention to detail in all your threads, you leave no stone unturned well done!!

May I ask you which "wide band AFR" gauge are you using and how are you connecting it up?

Thanks in advance.

Hi restocal63, thanks.

The AFR is an innovate MTX-L. I got it a few years ago, but I have found it really helpful for the Ghia and the bus. The bus has a screw in bung for the sensor but the Ghia uses an adapter that pokes into the exhaust. The readings are fine at speed, but at idle you need to block off the outlet with a rag to stop fresh air messing up the reading. Because I move it between the two vehicles I made a 12v plug for the cigarette lighter socket. If you were super into carb tuning you could hard wire the gauge into the dash!

Wideband AFR monitor

[/url]

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
A perfect ending. Problem solved and a smile on the patient wife’s face.
You car looks fantastic by the way.

She is very good!
No smiles from either of us when we were on the hard shoulder of the A1! Shona was due home for a Zoom conference, she ended up dialling in from the roadside, at least there was a good excuse for the background noise!

restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help, an interesting device to have.

Your car is almost identical spec to mine, a late 1970 willow green cabrio US import.

Thanks again.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I added to my collection of usable vintage tools today with a (boxed) tach/dwell meter from eBay. Works perfectly and I wanted an analogue scale as it’s easier to see the changes in rpm.
Not the Ghia, obvs.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

The colour of your Ghia and the colours of the Scottish countryside complement (and compliment) each other perfectly, Phil, and your photography does justice to both.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Your photo's along with your writeups would make a fabulous Karmann Ghia book. I especially like the picture of the road
direction sign except your beautiful Ghia is absent, but still a wonderful picture.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Thanks both, very kind.
After the performance earlier in the week I was a bit anxious about another road trip in the Ghia! I needn’t have worried, she ran smoothly and well for the whole day and we had another great walk. The weather was good enough to get the top down (not always a given here) and we parked just over a river ford crossing.
I also took the chance to use the amazing load carrying capacity of the Ghia Very Happy and took a refurbished pressure washer around to a friend’s house.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Ok. Maybe this is interesting, maybe it isn’t!
A couple of years ago the front VW badge flew off the Ghia and was squashed by another car. I bashed, bent and polished it into something like the right shape and it went back on. I had always assumed it to be the original, as basically the rest of the car was very much unmolested.
I found a replacement badge on eBay, which has bent/missing rear pins and my intention is to repair it.
They are both late Ghia badges, but they are quite different. The ‘original’ is brighter, shinier and much lighter (half the weight) of the spare. It is also flatter, but that’s what getting run over will do for you!
I wondered if the heavier one was steel, but neither are magnetic, apart from the pins.
To be honest, the original just looks like a thin aluminium pressing, and the spare is better quality.

Question: can anyone shed light on which is most likely to be original? Or can someone weigh a spare badge they have? Of note, the rubber gasket for the ‘original’ was also about half the weight (7 vs 11g)

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

The one with the long bendy pins is a reproduction.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 44

Jump to: