Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 bug under hood wiring problems.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

I have these three loose wires I’m not sure where they go. Also the light for the speedometer not sure where the wire is supposed to go for that there’s no bulb in there either I wonder if somebody had a picture of their dash or someone could tell me which wires go where would be helpful. Original 6volt system. As it stands I have headlights including high beams and indicator when floor button Is pushed.Tail lights work, no

turn signals. When I try left or right I get nothing. Wiper motor started to work lol. This things been sitting in a field for the last 15 -20 years . Fresh batt. Cleaned all terminals and ground strap behind battery. Motor turns over with key swiitch. Wiring diagrams are Chinese to me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

samm1 wrote:
Wiring diagrams are Chinese to me.

Totally understand, BUT you need to get to understand the wiring diagrams. All parts are there shown with icons and there is a index to what each part is by letter and number. Plus most wiring diagrams are in color, so unless you are color blind they should be easy to sort out.

Just make sure you are looking at the type 1 diagrams and your year and whether N. American or Euro market your beetle was sold in.

Is there something in particular you are having a problem with understanding the wiring diagram?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

samm1 wrote:
I have these three loose wires I’m not sure where they go. Also the light for the speedometer not sure where the wire is supposed to go for that there’s no bulb in there either I wonder if somebody had a picture of their dash or someone could tell me which wires go where would be helpful. Original 6volt system. As it stands I have headlights including high beams and indicator when floor button Is pushed.Tail lights work, no

turn signals. When I try left or right I get nothing. Wiper motor started to work lol. This things been sitting in a field for the last 15 -20 years . Fresh batt. Cleaned all terminals and ground strap behind battery. Motor turns over with key swiitch. Wiring diagrams are Chinese to me.

Second fuse for the left has a wire on in one photo and off in the other. This suggests you are trying things randomly. This can damage things and means you will probably not find the problem.

A good and common suggestion is for you to download the correct diagram to a thumb drive, take it to kinkos and have them print it poster size and laminate it. This way you can mark (using a dry erase pen or grease pencil) each wire and connection as you compare your car to the diagram.

Old bugs are pretty simple. The hardest part is the path for the regulator to the height switch to the fusebox to the ignition switch and back to the fusebox. However, this looks correct, if I read those pics correctly. The rest is pretty linear and if you print it as above, then check both sides of each fuse for the correct wire, you will probably find the problem.

Those blue aftermarket crimp connectors suggest a prior owner has messed with it, which is never good news.

If this doesn't make things work, the next step is to check ground quality of lamp and other assemblies.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

samm1 wrote:
Wiring diagrams are Chinese to me.

I suggest you start taking some Mandarin lessons.
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

First thing I did when I got my 61 was to download the colour circuit diagram. Then printed it and checked the wire colours against what I could see in the front trunk. Like yours, people in the past had played around with the wires and not always used the exact original colours when they replaced wires. Trying to match what you see with what others have is not a simple solution. Don't keep trying things to see what happens or you will blow fuses and even worse, some circuits.

So I suggest you start with the fuse board itself and get your head around what its connections are. Trace the various wires away from the fuse box and note where they go. Check that against the circuit diagram. It soon should start to make some sense. Important to check that all earth connections are clean and solid or many circuits won't work. Below is a simplified 1200 circuit that should be close to yours

2004 Porsche Turbo
1960 VW beetle (Australian)
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

Ok, I think I have all the wiring correct now, and I figured out why my front turn signals don’t work. Also was looking at 6volt flashers they seem very expensive on eBay . Mine has three terminals + symbol ,K symbol and S symbol.

Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

Did the simplified diagram help? Those flasher units are quite cheap (modern stolid state version). Around US$15. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111953185BWW

Are you saying that the turn signal switch/stalk does not work? Get some spray electrical contact cleaner and try that on it. Perhaps get on to your local Facebook as I suspect there are plenty of people who would give you a spare 'can-type' flasher unit, even in Saskatoon.
2004 Porsche Turbo
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

No the two wires in the signal light switch are broken off from the solder if you look close. They control left and right signal lights on the front fenders as I have rear signal function . Thanks for the info on 6volt flasher 👍🏽
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

samm1 wrote:
No the two wires in the signal light switch are broken off from the solder if you look close. They control left and right signal lights on the front fenders as I have rear signal function . Thanks for the info on 6volt flasher 👍🏽

Easy to solder back up! Very Happy
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

Mervo wrote:

Easy read for sure.
You know where I can find a similar for my ‘66 Bug ( US market)?
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 bug under hood wiring problems. Reply with quote

samm1 wrote:

Sounds like you are on track Sam. There will be more probably given the age and history of the car.

"Stockholm" that is the only one that I have. I am sure there is a source available for all these. I will see what I can find.

This has many simplified and some specific diagrams but does not focus on '66 http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

And it seems that Limebug has a guide that has information that I have not seen before https://www.limebug.com/how-to-guides/view/54/
2004 Porsche Turbo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: