Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Vanagon air flow
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: 1980 Vanagon air flow Reply with quote

Hey I got a 1980 Vanagon which I think my air flow meter is starting to not function properly. It’s been randomly not wanting to start sometimes, when I don’t have time to look at it, then when have time it starts up fine so don’t know what. Well this weekend camping trip wouldn’t start played with few things nothing let it sit thinking maybe in a little bit it’ll start, we’ll it wouldn’t start. It was making a noise near the afm, I easily moved the arm and it almost started so I thought what the hell will happen if I disconnected, start right up. Plug it back in and took off rest the day started fine, had random idle issue(had those a while think all might be related) but after all that long mess, my question is does anyone have a spare/not needed one that works or know of any available. Everywhere seems to be out, busdepot says it’s send mine in for rebuild return but the current time is 1-3 weeks was hoping for something sooner. Any ideas out there thanks.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon air flow Reply with quote

so where do you live/are located?

2 of the wires on the AFM are for the fuel pump relay.
these aren't involved in starting it though are involved in keeping it running once it starts.

in other words. the double relay gets a signal from the starter when you are cranking to fire up the fuel pump.
when it starts (normally) you stop cranking the starter
and the air flow in the AFM moves the flapper and contacts a set of points inside the cap.
these points tell the double relay that you are running and to keep the fuel pump running.

this system is in place so that if you get in an accident and the motor quits, that the fuel pump will be turned off as well even if/when the IGN is on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon air flow Reply with quote

I located in oregon. I am assuming something in it is bad, since won’t start with connected. Trying get one sooner then a month to that’s if busdepot time is correct I almost ordered a motor but the 4 weeks turned into 12 more after 3 weeks of order so I am a little worried about ordering from them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: