Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do I have? 1600SP engine found.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaredM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a lot of experience with Type 4's. I know these are fairly similar. Just trying to get some info on this engine.

I recently had a lead on a $50 type 1. Been sitting in a garage alone for years. I grabbed it no questions asked. She is clean and turns free, no end play. I will throw a carb on it and see if it runs.

AE engine code, Single Port.

Everything I can find says AE would be a 1971 dual port. Does single hint that it came out of a bus?

Also:
Just a few questions, maybe to confirm the source, and year. I will likely keep this, and rebuild it for a reliable heart for my 912.

What is the hot ticket, reliable, cool running and good MPG build out of these?
I assume 1776 or 1911 with a "cheater cam", dual carbs, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

$50 is a great deal.
Check out the engine builds thread for ideas.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

JaredM wrote:
Everything I can find says AE would be a 1971 dual port. Does single hint that it came out of a bus?

1970 bus was 1600cc single port, engine number starting with B, like a 1970 Bug. AE case means likely is 1600cc and someone swapped out the dual port heads, intake, shroud, oil cooler, etc for a different engine.

I did somewhat opposite in 1976: I made a 1600cc single port engine into an 1835cc dual port.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JaredM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

Interesting.

To me... at least with my research, it seems a bit oddball to swap out everything and go TO single port. I see they are popular among dune buggies, though. And have some of their own benefits. (as opposed to DP)

Might be beneficial for me, could be recently rebuilt - probably is being as clean as it is.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

JaredM wrote:
To me... at least with my research, it seems a bit oddball to swap out everything and go TO single port. I see they are popular among dune buggies, though.

From your photo showing the 12 volt voltage regulator mounted on the fan shroud, I suspect the engine WAS used in a fiberglass dune buggy.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

Not many buggies use heater boxes and a stock muffler.

Don't try to read too much into it, Likely someone needed to build an engine and found a decent case to build up. The factory case number is mostly meaningless.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I have? 1600SP engine found. Reply with quote

The single port gives a lot more low end torque. Probably used in a 67 bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: