Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to get tires mounted
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

OMG where does everyone get their tires mounted?

I had 2 165/80R15 tires shipped to NTB. The old tires are 165R15 ... they couldnt get them off the rim. 6 different employees tried on various tire mounting machines ... none of them could break the bead. they even tried cutting through the tired with a cutting wheel. They went through 2 cutting wheels on one tire and gave up.

Then I took it to Mr. Tire ... same thing there ... couldnt break the bead either.

They all told me their machines arent made for such narrow tires. Told me to try a motorcycle place or an RV/trailer place.

Where is everyone else getting them done?
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

That's odd. I just go to my local Firestone or Discount Tire to have tires mounted that I bought online. They've never had a problem with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
That's odd. I just go to my local Firestone or Discount Tire to have tires mounted that I bought online. They've never had a problem with it

Yeah I still have Goodyear, Firestone & Pep Boys in my area to hit up ... and there are multiple NTBs and Mr Tires so maybe I try a different one
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

This spring went to Discount tire and Belle tire. 2 mounted at each place.

Did they try good ol' manual labor?
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
This spring went to Discount tire and Belle tire. 2 mounted at each place.

Did they try good ol' manual labor?

We dont have either of those chains around here ... but to tell me to try a motorcycle place is weird ... dont tire places do motorcycle tires too?

Yeah I dont think they tried manual labor ... those youngins dont know how ... although one of the guys who tried was like 60 and he looked at the rim and said "thats from a volkswagen ... I used to work at a VW speed shop" (well besides the contradiction in terms ... "VW" & "speed" dont go together Laughing ) ... anyway he tried on another machine out of my view and he couldnt get it either
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I worked at a gas station and would do tire patching and stuff. Some times there would be a difficult tire that would not separate from the rim( skinny, old, etc...). The old guy Mechanic would come over after he kept hearing the, PSFFTTTT, of the machine attempting to break the bead. He would put a small block of wood under the machine foot to give it a little more travel, and...POP went the bead. Shocked

I know, old school, back yard kinda stuff. Everybody's afraid of being sued nowadays. Or like my wife thinks..."if you try and it didn't work, then it wasn't meant to be", and she moves on. Evil or Very Mad
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

Drive your other car up onto the bead ,(remove shrader valve first). While the car sits atop your tire, walk the rest of the bead down using your big feet! Never put "fix-a-flat" or other such goo inside your tires.
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

Took it to 3 places today ... Just Tires couldnt get it. Motorcycle place didnt have time. Went to Pep Boys ... it took them 90 minutes but got them done ... maybe 20 mins or so on the 1st tire and close to an hour on the shredded one. It took like 45 mins cutting it off with a metal disc.
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

Do they say what's changed? I wonder why this is an issue all of a sudden. New style equipment?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

TAKE THE CORE OUT OF THE VALVE STEM. THEN PUT A 2x6 FROM THE DRIVEWAY UP THE SIDE OF THE TIRE AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO THE RIM HELPS TO CUT A CURVE IN THE END OF THE 2X6 MATCHING THE RIM CURVE THEN DRIVE UP THE 2X6 USUALLY WILL POP THE BEAD THEN FLIP THE TIRE OVER AND REPEAT ON THE OTHER SIDE. CAN ALSO USE A HIGH LIFT JACK IT YOU HAVE A HEAVY TRUCK TO JACK UP WITH THE TIRE UNDER THE JACK BASE CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE RIM.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I use a Harbor Freight bead breaker. It has worked great so far on 10-year old radials and on who-knows-how-old bias ply tires.

https://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

indeed they likely need a block of wood.
with most modern tires being quite wide.
the new tire machines maybe don't go as 'skinny' as needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
indeed they likely need a block of wood.
with most modern tires being quite wide.
the new tire machines maybe don't go as 'skinny' as needed.

Oh yeah they were using a couple blocks of wood, no dice. And yeah since the tires is pretty narrow, they were pushing the side of the tire in and it was hitting the other side before the bead could break

But as I mentioned above, all is well now ... 5th place was a charm yesterday, they worked on the 2 tires for 90 minutes to get both mounted.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

If you drive on flat tyres it will help break them free

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

Something is definitely up.

Discount Tire easily dismounted 5 tires off 4.5" rims for me...one of the tires had been on the rim since ~1974. I spend a lot of money there, so I usually talk to the techs because I'm there so often. I talked to the guy (who is a car enthusiast and owns a Subaru converted Karman Ghia) how mounted the new tires...he didn't mention a thing about anyone having problems.

Then I came across an old rusty VW rim with a old tire (unknown age), but it the rubber looked hard and old...I wanted to save the 1970s OEM rim, so I dropped it off at an old school tire shop here, right as they were about to close, they dismounted it for me sometime the next morning and didn't charge me anything for doing it, nor did they mention any problems.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

I used to swap my own tires in the backyard using tire irons and screwdrivers on my 60s and 70s without a hitch until I bought some rims and tires at the local flea market that had that green goo (glue) inside.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get tires mounted Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
TAKE THE CORE OUT OF THE VALVE STEM. THEN PUT A 2x6 FROM THE DRIVEWAY UP THE SIDE OF THE TIRE AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO THE RIM HELPS TO CUT A CURVE IN THE END OF THE 2X6 MATCHING THE RIM CURVE THEN DRIVE UP THE 2X6 USUALLY WILL POP THE BEAD THEN FLIP THE TIRE OVER AND REPEAT ON THE OTHER SIDE. CAN ALSO USE A HIGH LIFT JACK IT YOU HAVE A HEAVY TRUCK TO JACK UP WITH THE TIRE UNDER THE JACK BASE CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE RIM.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-loud-family/3620213
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: