Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member, Intro and question/problem
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

FarmerBill,
Plug wires are old.... but they look like they were "newish" when I got it. Apparently there had been a good bit of work done on it just before I got it... new brake shoes, new carb, new fuel pump..... and I am getting a decent spark at the plug. Of course, I understand that under the cylinder pressure, the resistance goes up and that's when the plug wires find a path of least resistance. but that's normally when the engine is running.
I don't really like 'troubleshooting' by changing parts until it runs... I'd rather actually test to see if something is actually bad before changing it However, at this point i am getting desperate and my 'principles' are going out the window! Laughing .... I have actually been considering getting a new set of plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Haven't been able to get myself to do that yet, but I think I may be there now Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

If you use a plant mister in the engine bay while some one cranks the engine you can see the sparks jump from the wires if they're bad. Just make sure there's no fuel leaks. Oh, and it helps if it's dark when you do it.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Is your electric choke opening?

Can you shoot starting fluid in (or a thimble of gas drizzled) just to eliminate no fuel as a fault?
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

FarmerBill,
I didn't spritz with gas, but the other night I went out and Cranked it over in pitch dark... no sign of arcing....still will probably get new rotor, cap and wires, since I am eventually going to go thru the engine anyway.
I'm really considering a Pertronix point eliminator, but would really like to understand what's going on first
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Barry,
Yup, the electric choke is opening... I have dribbled gas into the carb, used starting fluid, even dribbled gas directly into the intake manifold when I had the carb off to re-clean it. also squirted fuel in thru a spark plug hole......Pretty sure it is not a fuel issue....
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Don't spritz with gas! Sorry, if I was unclear, I mean use a plant mister filled with water.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Going back to post #1
chippuller wrote:
Last week, when I backed it out, I let it idle for about 20 minutes, with no problems, but when I went to pull it back into the garage, it wouldn't start.

Have you pulled the spark plugs and cleaned them? All that idling on top of the previous idling you mentioned may have fouled them to the point where they won't fire. Could also be flooded, does the oil smell like gas?, carb stuck and overflowed? bad gas?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

FarmerBill,
MY mistake Surprised .... I guess I didn't even think about it when I wrote that note, but I must have subconsciously realized that would be a really stupid thing for me to do Shocked Obviously water makes sense!
On the other hand, 4th of July is almost here, and that might be a little more exciting than sparklers Laughing
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Busdaddy,
all the plugs have been cleaned and gapped. As I mentioned, they do all 'spark' when out of cylinder and grounded, but the spark does seem to be a little on the weak side (a little bluish-yellow rather than a nice sharp blue).
Also, new gas (and gas tank Smile )
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Chip,
One other idea. Are you 1000% sure, like really, really sure, that your plug wires haven't gotten mixed up somehow? I know it seems unlikely, certainly almost impossible if the car literally stopped working without you having even touched them. But if you did remove them from the distributor or plugs, misrouting them would cause you to see spark when you test, but that spark wouldn't be firing at the right time for that specific cylinder.

Good luck with your investigation. You'll figure it out.

Regards,
-Wade
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Wade,
Yup, I rechecked the plug wire locations...several times Smile .

Wade and everyone else who has offered suggestions here, I really appreciate your trying to help out!

I just finished pulling the distributor again. I took the points and condenser out, cleaned it out and degreased it with solvent, re-assembled it and with the distributor out I checked for continuity across the points with them open....no continuity. I reinstalled the distributor and reset the point gap and static timing. I even pulled the valve cover to make sure N0.1 cyl was on TDC on the compression stroke!...Nothing, Nada,.... (I had number 1 plug out, attached to the plug wire and was getting spark! Pulled the distributor cap and checked and I had continuity across the points Confused Disconnected condenser wire at the coil and no continuity! replaced it and got continuity again I then pulled the distributor out, with everything connected and had no continuity across the open point....but as soon as I touched the distributor housing to the block I got continuity again Confused Confused Confused
It seems like something in the distributor is grounding out.... but when I disconnect the condenser, with the distributor installed, the problem goes away, so it can't be the distributor!?!? I checked the condenser again and it is not shorted..... I just don't know what else to check Mad Sad
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Good Gawd man!, stop obsessing over that continuity, it's normal and supposed to do that, if it didn't then you would have an issue.

You did say you got spark when cranking (although weak and orangeish), right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Busdaddy,
Gee, I wish you'd have told me that sooner... would have save me a lot of "obsessing? Embarassed Laughing
Yes that's right ... just a hint of blue in the yellow spark, I expect a darker blue and a crisp, loud "snap". Of course that's based on experience with 12 volt systems Smile
Any suggestions as to what else to check?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Even a weakish spark should get it to fart and pop. We need three things for an engine to run, fuel, compression and spark, sounds like you have some spark, you've put fuel down the carb throat, how about compression?, done a valve adjustment?, tested the compression?

Слава Україні!
chippuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: New member, Intro and question/problem Reply with quote

Busdaddy,
I hate to admit it, but I am still 'obsessing over the continuity issue Confused .
I am certainly not challenging your statement...rather, I am just trying to figure out what I don't understand about the system. It's clear that I am not very good at reading schematics and wiring diagrams!
From what I understand, the points are acting like a switch, which interrupts the flow of current through the coil primary winding. The condenser merely prevents arcing across the points when they open, by diverting that excess flow of electricity to charging the condenser (a path of less resistance) but there is no continuity across the condenser...or is there?.
What I don't get, is how do you have continuity across a switch that is intended to 'break' a circuit... I have looked at a dozen wiring diagrams and youtube videos explaining how a distributor functions and do not see a current path across the points when they are open....but it's obviously there, 'cause I see it with my VOM!?!?
I'd really appreciate if you, or anyone else, can help me understand this. I'm sure it is probably very simple, but when it comes to electrical/electronic circuits, I am not very smart Sad
Thanks again....................
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: