Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Carburetor help! Reply with quote

I was starting to do some other work on the engine of my 1965 1200 when I notice gasoline leaking from a part of the carburetor. I did not think that was good. So I decided to tighten the leaking bolt. With very little effort, the bolt snapped. A little gas leaked out, then stopped. I decided not to try and start the car and rolled it back into the garage.

So, what now?

What is this thing and how do I get another one?
I have a photo of the carburetor. Any idea of the type of carb I have?
The photo with the red arrows shows where the bolt was that snapped.
What is this bolt called and how do I get another one? I think it was 12mm at the hexagon, it has three holes radiating out at the middle at 120 degrees each and a hole at the end with the number "120".

Advice and help much appreciated.

Thanks Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor help! Reply with quote

Some EMPI aftermarket carb.

I think you snapped your mixture jet off. That isn't supposed to be tightened down. It adjusted..
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor help! Reply with quote

Do yourself (and your car) a favor and get the correct carb for your engine....Solex 28 PICT-1. There are usually plenty of nice rebuilt ones available in the Samba classifieds. And make sure you have the the correct distributor to go with the 28 PICT-1 carb. Best choice is VW #111-905-205L, M, or N. These are also available in the Samba classifieds.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor help! Reply with quote

Never seen this break. I see the air cleaner attach bolt also over tightened, Sorry. When working with aluminum alloys you must be careful. I’d source a German carb too for long term solution
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor help! Reply with quote

you broke the main jet holder. it's not a bolt . it is not a mixture screw .
the mixture screw is between the hole your pointing to and the throttle shaft.
anyway any used main jet holder from a used solex 28-pict-1 30pict-1
will work don't toss the main jet . it is screwed into the broken part to the right in your pic. it has a number on it. I do not think you can find that part new? the jet holder that is.
I agree with others it is a crappy carb. if it worked fine. some do . pm me I can dig up a used one for ya. got pile's of carbs/parts . that carb is a 30 pict-1 .
yes a 28 pict-1 would be best.
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor help! Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies and knowledge. Much appreciated.

Yes, the carb does have an EMPI symbol on it, but I know nothing more about it.

Yes, it sounds like a new carb is a good long-term solution (Solex 28 or 30). Before the break, the engine has been running great, so I will try to find a replacement main jet holder in the meantime.

@sgmalt46 - Steve - Thank you! If I can't find one, I will be in touch. That is very kind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: