Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

Reverse lights went out on the '74. Unpluged the lights at the switch located at the nose cone, ran a jumper between the leads and yay I have backup lights.

10 years ago when I inherited the car the back up lights didn't work and assuming it was the switch I ordered a new switch only to find out that the switch was simply unhooked. Not only that but I guess at some point I had ordered ANOTHER switch for the same issue from a different source.

So, I had two new switches in my parts box! I thought I was good to go. How very wrong I was.

With new switch in hand, I grabbed my 22mm socket got under neither and removed the old switch.

Thats when everything went south, I don't know if I thought the trans oil was so thick that I would simply slide the new switch up and in without and issue or what but out comes the oil!

I stick my finger up into the hole to stop the flow and grabbed the new switch and WTH!?? my new switch is longer than the old than the old switch??! it's different. BOTH new switches are longer than the original.

I let the trans drain and started searching on line and sure enough there are two different switches available but the longer version seems to be more common? WTH

I plugged the hole with old switch.

My question is will the longer switch work?? And does anyone have good way to install these lil SOB's?? It was struggle just to get the original back up in there!! Reached my hand arm up and around the nose cone and held it there by my finger tips and finally was able to get to to thread.

Dumb me for not comparing parts before removal or installation. D74
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

denver_74 wrote:
Thats when everything went south, I don't know if I thought the trans oil was so thick that I would simply slide the new switch up and in without and issue or what but out comes the oil!

I don't know about reverse switch length, but I DO know:
1. There is a metal gasket that goes under the switch

2. If you jack up/put front of the VW on jackstands then no gear oil will leak out.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
denver_74 wrote:

I don't know about reverse switch length, but I DO know:
1. There is a metal gasket that goes under the switch

2. If you jack up/put front of the VW on jackstands then no gear oil will leak out.

you are wise. i was dumb BUT I do have the crush washer. I have no idea what I was thinking. HOWEVER, it is a new trans with 500 miles it, its due for an oil change.

Last edited by denver_74 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

here are the two types of switches I am seeing. I have 2 of the longer style switches.

short:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

long:

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

I've only seen these

Like from JBugs https://www.jbugs.com/search.html?q=reverse+switch

It's a tight fit anyway, wonder what the longer switches are really for - have you a part number on those? Short ones look like 211945521
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

Your first photo and the photo posted by CUSSER are the switch you want.

Although the long switch may be electrically the same and have the same threads, you will find that it is indeed physically too long to fit in the required space. And, if you do get it to fit, your wires stand a good chance of chafing against the frame - not good.

Yes, installing the original sized switch can be troublesome.

Based on photos, and personal experience, looks like IAP 211941521 or 211945521 is the closest in physical dimensions to the OG.
The other photo you posted is what is shown as replacements under other manufacturer branding, and probably located or offered by local parts houses.

The one I received (IAP 211941521) didn't have the center insulator tab as shown in photo, but that was OK, since I applied heat shrink to the wire connectors.

Changed mine last year and no problems since.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

Would recommend you consider locating and purchasing a "German" and/or NOS reverse light switch, vs. no-name aftermarket offerings -- similar to recent experiences and recommendations folks have had with brake light switches. Unless you're a fan of playing the "el crappo" aftermarket parts roulette game, that is... Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

I bought this from Wolfsburg West ...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211941521

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N138161

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch - long and short - PIA. Reply with quote

for better or for worse, I pulled a good switch from the original trans.

the original transmission had 42,000 on it and the switch checked out.

installation wasn't any easier.

in fact, I had to have the misses get her dainty arms and fingers up in there to spin it into place. Rolling Eyes Sad Laughing

I have a new switch on order.

I know I know I should have waited but there are only a few months of summer in my world and I have only so much time in life to tinker with the VW. I did use a brand new crush ring Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: