Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hubcap dilema
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

So.... 1976 Westy, stock wheels. Just sandblasted and powder coated. Existing hubcaps dented, all have significant rust on the inside. Decided to” take the plunge” and replace with new. First set of replacements from WW too deep on the outer lip, second ( only had 2) outer lip too shallow. So , trying a couple from Airhead, ordered Friday. Never ran across this problem before. Anybody else have success?
First pic: the existing caps, fit fine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Second pic: existing cap on left, WW cap too shallow lip on rightj

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

And the WW cap that has too tall an outside lip

It may look in the pics that the tape measure tip was not at the same measuring position, but believe me it was! Thanks, Bob
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

A 76 should use the fat lip caps, they changed from the thin ones sometime in 73.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

So... the WW caps with the deep lip should work even though the lip is deeper than what is on there? I did not want to “ force” the cap on. It just did not want to pop on when I gave it a good hit my fist.... on the edge of the cap of course. I did not use a dremel to clean the powder coat off the nubs on the wheel, or coat them with grease either..... yet. Let me know, and thanks again! Here we are again this summer 18 miles away from a major forest fire in AZ, the “Backbone”fire. Putting the Westy back together the best I can, as we may need to evacuate this time, and wife takes the Odyssey, packed, I take the Westy with the dogs.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

The width of the edge should not matter, it's the small rolled lip around the inside that grabs the wheel, the rest is just along for the ride, if the ID is the same it'll work.

Fingers crossed for you and that fire, sounds like it's getting too close for comfort.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

some places sell the late 251 hubcaps. They have a deeper profile than the bay ones. I believe early Vanagons is when they were first used. I haven't seen a near original new bay hubcap since around 2005. There is a place in Salt Lake City that can re-chrome the old ones if they aren't too bad.

http://saltlakechrome.com/
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

I have a set of surplus, genuine VW Type 2 chromium-plated hubcaps that were bought for our 1973 VW Type 2 campervan that were used for only one season (hard to remove when regularly checking wheel-nut torque! Sad ) and then put in storage more than thirty years ago.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

Nigel.... OMG... keep them close! About as rare as you can get! If you could, please take a pic of the rim of one of them showing the two holes for removing the hubcap. I don’t know for sure what year hubcaps I have. Two were painted silver on the inside at some time, the other two are just covered inside with surface rust. They are the same depth, but were very hard to remove when I had the wheels blasted and then powder coated. The PO had just used some brand of silver paint on them ( a lot of paint). I assumed the caps were hard to remove due to the thick paint. BIG screwdriver used to remove them. Broke my hubcap puller tool trying to get the first one off. Thank you, Bob
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I have a set of surplus, genuine VW Type 2 chromium-plated hubcaps that were bought for our 1973 VW Type 2 campervan that were used for only one season (hard to remove when regularly checking wheel-nut torque! Sad ) and then put in storage more than thirty years ago.

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Nigel.... OMG... keep them close! About as rare as you can get!

If you could, please take a pic of the rim of one of them showing the two holes for removing the hubcap. I don’t know for sure what year hubcaps I have. Two were painted silver on the inside at some time, the other two are just covered inside with surface rust. They are the same depth, but were very hard to remove when I had the wheels blasted and then powder coated. The PO had just used some brand of silver paint on them ( a lot of paint). I assumed the caps were hard to remove due to the thick paint. BIG screwdriver used to remove them. Broke my hubcap puller tool trying to get the first one off. Thank you, Bob

First I need to find them in my garage, which is about 3 miles from my present place of residence.

Then I shall have to see whether any of my friends (not in self-imposed COVID-19 isolation) has a means of taking digital photographs that they can e-mail to me.

I cannot precisely date the hub caps, but I am reasonably sure they were bought during the latter half of the 1970s; so at least 40 years old! I think I might also have a spare genuine VW Type 2 hub-cap removal tool (i.e. horseshoe shaped with hooked ends).

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
So.... 1976 Westy, stock wheels. Just sandblasted and powder coated. Existing hubcaps dented, all have significant rust on the inside. Decided to” take the plunge” and replace with new. First set of replacements from WW too deep on the outer lip, second ( only had 2) outer lip too shallow. So , trying a couple from Airhead, ordered Friday. Never ran across this problem before. Anybody else have success?
First pic: the existing caps, fit fine

Second pic: existing cap on left, WW cap too shallow lip on rightj

Looking at your two pictures, I am confident that my set of four hubcaps are of the same variety as illustrated in your first picture and the left-hand one in your second picture. Smile

My long-term plan is to substitute Mercedes C-Class 7 x 16 inch alloy wheels and either 205/65 R16C or 215/65 R16C commercial-van tyres which have virtually been the de facto standard here for medium-sized commercial vans, for about the past 10~15 years. There is a plethora of tyre brands available in these sizes at very competative prices.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema- SOLVED Reply with quote

Airhead has the correct hubcaps. They “snap” on tight they way they should.They feel about the same weight as my ( for sure) 1 OEM CAP. Chrome is not the best , but not bad either. Good compromise. Bob
L
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hubcap dilema Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that I succeeded in finding the set of four chromium-plated, 1971~79 VW Type 2 hubcaps in my garage. When they were put into storage, we coated them with Finnigan’s Waxoyl under-body rust-inhibiting wax treatment (I also injected this with a spray lance into all of the 1973 VW “1600” Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan’s body cavities), to preserve them as well as possible. Being wax coated, they have gathered dust over the years, so I first need to clean at least one of them, to find out what condition they are in.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: