Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife asked me to clean up
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Hmmm... I have three weeks left at my FT job. I'm quitting to build my private therapy practice. I do have two entirely full days worth of clients right now, but it seems that I'll probably have a bit more free time in the few weeks it'll take to build that up. Perhaps that is when I should spend some time listing some of the stuff...

I wish you the best. While I don't know you, I feel like I do having read your thread countless times. You are a good person with a good heart (90% of the people here fall into that category from what I've seen, and the ones that aren't don't seem to last that long anyway), you can do this. Going solo is rough, but it can be freeing. I did it myself for a few years, then stuff happened and I went back to corp world in 2011. I was extremely fortunate to land a job with a company that was already 100% remote 10 years ago.

We had to do a temp move in the fall due to the drought, then move back a few months ago, with the knowledge that by end of summer we would be moving again. That was a "here's your sign" moment that we had way to much shit kicking around. The purge was epic. I struggled with some stuff - I had complete suspension & trans rebuild stuff, u-joints, axle stubs, water pump, alt, etc. for 3/4 ton Gen2 RAM trucks that I no longer have The parts totaled up to $$ but to sell them would be a colossal undertaking dealing with scammers and lowballers. So, I loaded it all up in the car, drove around a couple of the less-economically-healthy areas until I found a matching RAM in the driveway of a 1960s mobile, tagged with a plow (if you've ever owned a plow truck, this is all the stuff that gets totally destroyed). Gave it all away. Double-whammy of "feels good to be free of it" and "feels good because they really appreciated and needed it." I've had others do it for me in the past. No regrets. Some stuff no one seems to want, that you have to decide if you can live with the knowledge that they are gone for good and no one cares but you. I'm reaching that point with the seats from Ducky, can't give them away, don't want to move them again, yet I really don't want to take them to the dump. The struggle is real.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Wow, thanks guys on the well wishes! And good job, Abscate, on practically guessing the name of the business-Venture Counseling!

So far just the couple days a week I've been doing it has been awesome. It is great knowing I'm working to make myself money vs. make others money. And I'm glad to have a way to do it that helps people in the way it does. (I'm a believer that basically any job helps other people in some way, I just like this way!)

And ImAddicted, I hear you on the seat thing! Over the years, I've tried all the big upgrades to front seats in my '78 and have never been fully happy, so I have all the versions in my shed... The stock seats, Vanagon seats, Eurovan seats, and it's currently got the Stow and Go seats. All the "reject" seats are stored, because I'm still not quite happy with the SNG and I have imaginations of somehow using parts of the others to make a good set!

Y'all nearly have me inspired to try to get some of that stuff gone! I do like how you got rid of the truck parts, that's great.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Well its been a week and the wife either hasnt seen the big yellow box in the basement, just doesnt care, or is so disgusted that she doesnt even want to mention it.

I however get a chuckle everytime I go down there and look at it. Now if I can just figure out how to get the westy in there....

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

The wife finally went into the basement. Her question, “ why is the bus in the basement?”

My answer, “ cause its nice and dry down there.”

No other questions asked.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

No other questions asked.

Was that After she rolled her eyes?
Rolling Eyes

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Now if I can just figure out how to get the westy in there....

Bolt a set of junk wheels without the tires on them & roll it in on those, or make a set of rollers out of plywood that are just larger than the lowest point of the suspension to bolt to the hubs.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: