Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rostra cruise module mounting locations
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

MikeCorbitt wrote:
I purchased the dash mount switch. At the time, I was wanting the RF bus it's no longer available and I did not think the cruise stalk was an option for my year. Duh.

There were a few reasons I didn't go with the GW version, but now I'm thinking lesson learned. And I paid more money for it. Ouch.

I had previously read your dip switch settings and modeled mine after yours for the most part.

Where did you get your GW instructions? Off their website, or just following their video?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23793/gowesty-cruise-control-?v=

There is a link to the PDF instructions at the link above and video. Their instructions are incorrect on dip settings and a couple other details.

I evaluated those and used the components of the base kit. With the knowledge gained from the pdf / video I then "rolled my own." I did get the $30 VSS from GW. That makes the install easy. You don't need brake or clutch switches. You can trigger off the brake lights as the pressure switch is on the master cyl. The clutch switch isn't necessary unless you really really want to be able to cancel by depressing the clutch.

I was directed to the stalk by Jeff at AutoVentures in WI. It's the kit he uses for his Subaru swaps. I really like the stalk option / location he recommended.

You paid more money for the Base kit than the GW kit? Mine was way cheaper.

Base kit = $222.79
Stalk = $54.90
GW VSS = $30

$307.69 total for kit off amazon.
$429.95 for the GW manual kit.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Ours is located where the idle speed control unit was. The cable housing and inner wire is shortened to provide a nice smooth curve without extra length that adds friction. Has been there since 2005. Used the VW pedal switches initially but now have micro switches (w/longer arms than the GoWesty version). Short lengths of 3/4" aluminium angle are JB welded onto the pedal arms.
Note: lubing the cable with Finish Line Extreme (a flouro teflon grease) really helps. If you have an VW automatic placing the unit under the rear seat works very well (much much better than under the dash)
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that either I am misunderstanding something or the wiring harness I have is not cut to the length necessary to reach the fuse box and the throttle simultaneously. I spent a few hours today temporarily mounting the control module in different locations without being able to simultaneously reach both places. I emailed Rostra to ask what their typical harness lengths are to see if mine may have just been cut short. I'm also planning to bite the bullet and contact GW to see what I might be able to cobble together from them, given the Rostra unit (250-1223) I have. Pretty disappointing. I thought I would be able to make something work.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

You have to extend the harness yourself.
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

I've given some thought to extending the harness by cutting the 8 primary wires and soldering in additional 4-5' lengths for each wire? Was this pretty much your approach? Pedal switches? Are you referring to The disengagement switches?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Cut the connectors off and put them in a drawer never to bee seen again. Yes pedal switches are disengagement switches one in the same. How are running the switch wires to the front, underneath or in the roof channel? Those four wires will be 12-15' long. Do you have led stop lights? If so you will need to install a small wire wound resistor or an additional relay. Place the fuse inside the engine compartment relay box, located the ground there also.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

MikeCorbitt wrote:
I've given some thought to extending the harness by cutting the 8 primary wires and soldering in additional 4-5' lengths for each wire? Was this pretty much your approach? Pedal switches? Are you referring to The disengagement switches?

I mentioned this before...I chose the GW install location under the dash to avoid extending the harness, disassembling interior of the van and running wire all the way through it. This also keeps the cruise unit out of the elements. Keeping the unit under the dash, you keep the entire install, harness, etc, in the front of the van.

To put it in the back, you'll need to extend the controls wiring, all disengagement switch wiring, power wiring to the fuse block and the ground to the ground tree in the front (where they belong,) Otherwise you're tapping into an existing circuit or running a relay circuit from the battery for switched power to the rear.

If you tap into an existing circuit in the rear, make sure you're not affecting any engine electronics and make sure you're using a clean ground. The ECU and other components are sensitive to voltage and resistance changes.

I sincerely urge you to reconsider your install location. Other than the throttle actuation that the GW method uses, it's the better of the two locations. I have had zero issues with the throttle interface using GW's method.

Don't call GoWesty and ask them for advice on a product you didn't buy from them. That's just inconsiderate. I use some of GW's videos and install instructions, but I'd NEVER call them for help on something I didn't purchase from them.

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

...I followed the GW install instructions for mounting and cable actuation and wiring as much as possible. I was planning to mount in the engine compartment. Evaluated GW's install and it's quite ingenious actually. It's FAR easier to mod the throttle cable cover and be "ok," with the somewhat reverse actuation that GW uses than to extend the wiring all the way to the back of the van. At least IMHO.

With mounting the unit under the dash, I can hear the cruise gears grab when I engage it which is a bit satisfying in knowing it's good to go. (It's silent otherwise.)

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Last edited by a2wolfsburggli on Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:29 am; edited 4 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Extending the harness is really no big deal.
Just use good crimp connectors and silicone / adhesive shrink wrap over them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli,
How many magnets did you use for your signal generator? Based on the Rostra instructions it seems 2 would be in order as the Vanagon is sort of a front wheel drive configured in reverse (if that makes sense).
MIke
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

MikeCorbitt wrote:
a2wolfsburggli,
How many magnets did you use for your signal generator? Based on the Rostra instructions it seems 2 would be in order as the Vanagon is sort of a front wheel drive configured in reverse (if that makes sense).
MIke

Already answered that in a previous post. I used the GoWesty VSS generator.

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

I evaluated those and used the components of the base kit. With the knowledge gained from the pdf / video I then "rolled my own." I did get the $30 VSS from GW. That makes the install easy.

MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Yes, you did. I should have caught that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: