Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had to change my username ('84 GL build)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Had to change my username ('84 GL build) Reply with quote

So, for better or worse, I bought the first Vanagon I looked at. Laughing

Here it is as I brought it home a few days ago.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I runs and drives, but I wouldn't trust it outside of the neighborhood at this point. Needs quite a bit of work before I take it on any adventures into the wilds of Alaska.

So far, I've rekeyed the front doors and hatch to match the ignition key. Next up , there's a tank seal kit, engine fuel line kit, plastic bulkhead fitting replacement kit, and various fuel tank/expansion tank grommets on the way from GoWesty. Next priority is brakes (minimum new pads and shoes and hoses and fluid flush), then sort out the janky dash wiring, then change the oil in the transaxle along with a complete tune up and cleaning all the electrical connections I can find around the engine. After that, suspension rebuild with powerflex bushings all around and new springs (leaning toward Schwenk but they seem to be out of stock, might go with Moogs and spacers to get a little bit of lift) and shocks. Then wheels and tires (hope to find some 15" steelies and get some Yokohama Geolanders.

Last edited by TomInAlaska on Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

Nice! Congrats, I like those two tone vans.

I see you got the list all set (my favorite part). Looking forward to the progress. Subscribed.

Do you have a garage or is this a summer mission?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
So, for better or worse, I bought the first Vanagon I looked at. Laughing

You saved a ton of time buying the van that you can now use to work on it. A perfect plan.

Nice van.

No need to change your username, just rename the van. Wink

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

Yes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

The adventure begins . . . welcome aboard! The essentials:

- AAA Premium
- Cell phone
- Credit card
- open mind and a lot of patience . . . Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

a power wash and scrub then some rattle can silver or black on those 14in rims will doll them up nicely for quite some time..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

Black if you're going to run Hubcaps and Silver if you are running them bare. Re keying locks is something I seldom see people do early on in a project. You or a relative must be a locksmith.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

Today’s task is to try to get the dash wiring back in shape. A previous owner must’ve been a fan of Mad Max Fury Road and so wired in a couple of switches and a starter button in addition to the regular ignition switch. I’ve removed all that crap and soldered and heat-shrunk the wires back together.

Ignition switch now works like it’s supposed to.

In the interest of not pulling out stuff that’s supposed to be there, do these relays look factory? Or some aftermarket junk for fog lights maybe? They are wired to a non-factory looking rocker switch that is driving-off-fog ?

And I’m not a locksmith or anything, just followed the instructions in a couple of the threads here on how to reset the tumblers in the lock cores. Easy-peasy once I figured out how to get the cores out of the front door handles. It involved a drill btw.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

Hey! I've got one of those!

A couple of the plastic wheel covers passed me on the freeway. I replaced 'em with the closest match I could find. Bought it 30 years ago with 60K on it.

Good Luck with yours.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

While poking around the engine compartment I discovered something interesting:

Also, a previous owner had wired in their own water temp gauge and tach running loose wires from the sensor through though the passenger area under the carpet up to the dash. I think the yellow/red wire is supposed to be connected to the coolant temp sensor, correct? What about the blue/black wire?

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

I'd guess relays are: one for low beams, other high, third for fog lights.

1985 wiring diagrams show a yellow/red wire from coolant sensor and blue black wire from oil pressure switch on engine.

What year Vanagon? '85?

It took me about a million years before I started including my vans in my sig. Wink

If you search VWoC or VW of Canada you should find a range of opinions on those remanufactured engines. That info is likely in the stickies here.

If the PO wired toggle/push switch in parallel to existing wiring, there may've been an issue with the ignition switch cutting out intermittently. i.e. they didn't bother replacing the ignition switch. That job can be perceived as difficult but it isn't.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

Well, looks like I’m doing some rust repair next week, too. 🙃

I also discovered that in addition to once upon a time having air conditioning, this van used to have cruise control!

Next work session I’ll try to figure out those three relays and get the oil pressure wire hooked up. Oh, and if you look closely at the pic of me holding the wire above the engine, you can see another aftermarket accessory that’s been added, a plug-in block heater! It’s kinda fun to see a little bit of the history of a car like this from finding all the modifications and stuff that have been added to it over the years. A little forensic mechanics?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? Reply with quote

That one picture with the engine compartment grounds showing corrosion, that’s another task..... Sad

Have fun, you’re off and running already... Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/wto/d/anchorage-16-inch-steel-rims-5x112/7321568357.html

Do these look like a viable option for wheels? I assume I would need spacers, too? And new lug nuts/bolts?

For tires, I'd get a set of Yokohama Geolandars or General Grabbers in 215/65r16 (769 rev per mile) to keep it somewhat close to factory final ratio.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

$100 bucks for steel wheels with the correct bolt pattern and 41 mm offset looks like a great deal. Standard offset is something like 30mm - 35mm. 6.5" width is fine unless you want (overly) wide tires for most applications.

Far too many details here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203519

Christopher at T3 is a tremendous resource for wheels and suspension and can provide answers and spacers, lug nuts, etc.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

As an added security measure, I purposely changed the ignition lock to a separate code. It's convenient for one key to fit all, but I hope that if a potential thief manages to unlock my doors using one of his/hers set of thief keys, they won't have one to fit the ignition.

Obviously if they want to steal my van, they will. They are very easy to steal by today's standards. But I hope with the several small measures I've employed, they will ultimately give up and move on to someone else's Vanagon.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

Today I'm going to try to tackle some rust repair starting with this. I found this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686138

showing a nicely fabbed patch panel with the correct contours and raised area where the pedal bolts down, but since I don't have any reference for those things, would a flatter, less 'correct' panel work just as well?

By the way, I plan on cutting out the rust back into good metal then cutting a panel (or panels) to fit as close as possible and then welding them in (MIG with shielding gas). And then painting and sealing with rubberized undercoating, obviously.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

So it’s kind of a quick and dirty patch job, but it’s a darn sight better than what it was! The rest of the rust in the fender wells will wait until I drop the gas tank(s) for a reseal next week.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

Today I'm working on continuing to straighten out the electrics including this plug I found yesterday while patching the floor under the gas pedal:

I'm having a hard time finding any corresponding wires in the diagram in the technical section on the site here. Any thoughts on where this should be plugged in? Could it be part of the defunct air conditioning system? Fog lights?

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Does this mean I have to change my username? (build thread) Reply with quote

Completed the gas tank reseal and installed a new fuel filter along with gowesty's filter relocation kit (no pics of that since I was in a bit of a time crunch). Complete engine fuel line kit and new plastic hose kit along with new brake pads, shoes, and rubber hoses are waiting for the next work session.

Also swapped on a set of good wheels and tires that a friend is letting me use until I figure out something. The 16" steel wheels I asked about up-thread turned out to be 5x110, by the way. At the least the seller took them back without any issues. Rolling Eyes

Looking a little bit less like a piece of junk everyday! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: