Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Well thanks to me mostly telling a lot of people NO and not taking on any outside work and also the pandemic I've managed to get quite a bit of work done on the truck. It now runs and drives which is probably the biggest milestone !

The brakes are G60s with Mercedes ML rotors. BMW brake booster. Rear brakes are stock 14" drums with heavy duty South African drums
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The transmission is a brand new South African syncro trans that I have been hoarding forever and I had it all gone through by Mr Gas in Colorado. It's got Paul Guard 3rd and 4th gears installed as well as a handful of other upgrades. It's all ready for a cooling system as well. I had Greg rebuild my front diff as well and install a new Paul Guard ring and pinion.

So the truck has 5:43 ring and pinions and a I choose 1.125 for 3rd gear and .758 for 4th.

The engine is a brand new 1.8t longblock with a new turbo and of coarse the full install kit from Stephan's Autohaus.

I bought some metal fuel line and fabbed my supply and return fuel lines in steel so I don't have so much rubber fuel hose running around the engine compartment.

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Wow, the red really makes all the components pop! What a beautiful job. What shocks did you go with? Can't quite tell from your photos. Any updates would be great! The pandemic will be over soon so you won't have that extra time to work on it!
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

It’s almost done ! I’ve put about 150 miles on it and it drives beautifully.

Still left to do-
Install dashboard
Install back window
Install speakers & stereo
Install headache rack
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

I went with the “touring” bilsteins (black body).
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

The red with the flares and sliders looks killer!

Next level thread. Amazing work - thanks for sharing.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Fantastic work!! The gates look amazing. And cool that you restored the Puch badge below the driver's door. Don't always see those.

Can you say why you went with the Touring?

These are the ones I'm looking at for my 16: https://www.vancafe.com/251OME-p/251ome.htm
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Fantastic work!! The gates look amazing. And cool that you restored the Puch badge below the driver's door. Don't always see those.

Can you say why you went with the Touring?

These are the ones I'm looking at for my 16: https://www.vancafe.com/251OME-p/251ome.htm

The PUCH badge is a repo but one of the better ones with the pins. I think it's actually higher quality than the original plastic badge which I also have but I think I broke the pins off removing it from the truck.

The OME shocks are good. I've run them before. I think they are better suited for a heavy camper though. Also I get wholesale pricing on bilstein and for me they were about $100 less which was not my main motivator. Plus the OME colors just did not go with the rest of my suspension.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

That is a thing of beauty. Congratulations!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

impressive, congrats!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Wow, that's just perfect! Those wheels with that paint, Eric's flares...whew...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Actually these are factory 16” flares. The real deal.
tomaselli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

What a nice job, congrats!! Very interesting with al those pictures. I have to do the suspension on mine, thinking of Bilstein B6 Very Happy
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Your brake set up is identical to what I'm running on my Westfalia.
Just one detail, are you using regular Vanagon rear wheel cylinders or did you install LT rear wheel cylinders.
I'm running just the usual Vanagon rear wheel cylinders, wondering if the LTs would be an upgrade.
You must have been sitting on those SA drums for a while, I bought mine several years ago, they seem unavailable now.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:

1st Class job and a show winner!

Looking at that beautiful bottom and being envious of your shop facilities I was wondering how the bottom is going to hold up over the years compared to the VW original protection paint?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Syncrozilla wrote:

1st Class job and a show winner!

Looking at that beautiful bottom and being envious of your shop facilities I was wondering how the bottom is going to hold up over the years compared to the VW original protection paint?

Thanks !

Only time will tell on the paint. From a car owners perspective living in Socal is great. I have a 1990 original paint multivan and there is not a sing spot of anything even close to corrosion. Because of that I didn't lose any sleep over just painting the underneath of the truck. I would have done something a lot more preventative if the truck was going to be in a different environment.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Your brake set up is identical to what I'm running on my Westfalia.
Just one detail, are you using regular Vanagon rear wheel cylinders or did you install LT rear wheel cylinders.
I'm running just the usual Vanagon rear wheel cylinders, wondering if the LTs would be an upgrade.
You must have been sitting on those SA drums for a while, I bought mine several years ago, they seem unavailable now.

I'm running 100% 14" parts on the rear brakes. 14" hubs and with the 16" stub axles. I have not tried to mix and match parts so I don't know if it's possible.

I personally don't think the 16' rear brake stuff is really worth the added trouble and expense. I kept the used parts I took of and would pass them on the next owner in the event that they value the originality. I'm also hanging onto the original engine and trans that came with this truck for the same reason.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Nice!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

It looks really sweet Seth

Just a regular guy
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another bamboo yellow 16" Doka resto thread Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Are they plastic or fiberglass like original postal arch ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:

I know you have a factory sunroof panel, but seeing this shot I have to say this would be the perfect vehicle for a canvas slider sunroof. Very Happy

And I have one. It would open the roof from about 6 inch shy of the gutters side to side and from above the driver's head to over the rear passengers heads. I don't have measurements off the top of my head but it's huge..and motorized. Checked...39 wide, 45 long.

I'm hording it now cause I'm too chicken to open up my roof which is in fine shape.

@Symcrozilla ,I see you brazed the roof joints. I just welded up a rust hole on my windshield frame and cursed the original brazing because of that zinc burning out of the brass...
So, why did you brazed it ? What's the advantage of brazing it ? I Tig welder up the thrust hole with small steel patch and 1/32 steel filler rod. Nothing warped and it wasn't too hard to do.
I'd just like to know the wisdom behind brazing. I'm sure there must be good reasons I'm ignorant of.

Awesome truck ! Nice work ! Looks like fun to me. I see the 356 there too, I used to own a ln intermeccanica as a daily only car in Seattle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: