Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what size tire is best for midly lowered bug?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

I am completely new to restoring bugs. I'm thinking of lowering my bug a couple inches. I like the way a lowered bug looks, but I don't want to be scraping the road and speed bumps all the time.

First question, what's the lowest I can go without scraping?

Second question, what size tires do you recommend?

I have read some people suggest 145/60r15 up front and 165/60r15 in the back, but I have also seen 145/60r15 for the front and 205/60r15 for the back.

I think this looks great, maybe just slightly lower would be perfect.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/922580.jpg

Any help is appreciated guys and gals.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Those whitewall tires look like stock 165X80X15.
I lowered my square 2" in front & 1" in the back.
185X60 & 205X70 just clear with no rubbing/dragging!
I'm 3.5" to my beam w/1.5" forward rake.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

The 145/60 and 165/60 will look tiny and lost on mildly lowered bug. I’ve had my eye on 175/65r15’s to replace my 145r15. I have the 185/60 and 195/65 front rear combo on another bug.
Where in MD are you?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

@NJ John

I am near Annapolis. For the bug with 185/60 and 195/65, how low is it, and do you have issues with rubbing with such wide tires in the front?

@Mike Fisher

I will have to look up what that stuff means. I'm sure it will help when I know the lingo.

So I have a follow up question. If I lower it 2-3 inches, will I be able to just use stock without rubbing? I really want white wall tires so Im not sure if that also limits my choices. When I get home from work I will try to post a couple more pictures for the look im going for. Thats probably easier.
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/c0/9a/38c09afb51df3fe4a3e95f8dd7a614e7.jpg

this is basically the height im going for. Looks like its about 2.5 inch lowered.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Tons of info on tire size and set ups on lowered cars:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=2220

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Tons of info on tire size and set ups on lowered cars:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=2220

Thanks!
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

My 185/60 don’t rub in the front. It just has an adjustable beam.
What method of lowering do you plan on going with? Also, a narrowed beam?
My yellow bug in my galler has a 3” narrow adjustable beam, lowered spindles and a turned a spline in the rear. 145r15 and 205/60r15 tires.
What year bug do you have?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
My 185/60 don’t rub in the front. It just has an adjustable beam.
What method of lowering do you plan on going with? Also, a narrowed beam?
My yellow bug in my galler has a 3” narrow adjustable beam, lowered spindles and a turned a spline in the rear. 145r15 and 205/60r15 tires.
What year bug do you have?

66 bug. Im not sure which lowering method is best. Im trying to lower it as much as possible without hitting/scraping speed bumps and without rubbing during turns. Im completely new to this, so whichever method is best to achieve that is what I will do. I would like to also still keep the car safe. My buddy is telling my 145 tires are skinnier than donut spare tires, so that kinda scares me. However, it sound like tons of people have 145 tires and they are just fine. Another gentlemen posted a nice link to a thread above and I am combing through it, but there is so much info its kinda overwhelming. I gotta learn all these different terms! I appreciate everyone's responses though!
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Yeah people like to gripe on the 135r15 and 145r15. Different than the 145/65r15 tires from smart cars. My yellow bug has the 145r15’s on it. I haven’t had any issues. I think it handles well. But I drive a Tahoe regularly. They say the skinny tires grab grooves in the road and hamper braking. I’m serious, google the 175/65r15 size. I’m eventually switching, because it’s supposed to be the same height as my current front tires, but wider.

The easiest thing to do is just throw lowered spindle on the front. Pick some tires sizes and see if you feel like turning some splines in the rear.
kylewadescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Do you recommend just getting some cheap tires till i find a size that I like and then put on the white walls after?

I found some images in the thread with what they did that I really like

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/403312.gif

Front: 4 inch narrowed adjustable with towers 2.5 inch dropped spindles 145's
Rear: One outer notch 165 15

and

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/427390.jpg

Adjustable 2" narrowed CB beam, stock spindles,145's in front,and 165's the the back.
I think its one Inner and one outer click in the back

what do you think of those?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Both classic cal look tire sizes.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Wheels/Tires/Stance is our individual engineering projects with no two alike!
We can't tell if what you end up doing will rub.
My lowered square doesn't rub/drag with it's Stock Beam
Put the drop spindles on & see what you have then.
I buy good pairs used tires Cheap that rich guys take off with lots of tread left on them.
Used 185X60 Firestone & 205X70 Michelin
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

What about “feel”. 30 years removed from my last we all ran 135/165 back in the day. (Til the 135 shortage then some ran temps…yikes)

Anyway….I never did run 145’s and am wondering if anybody can speak from experience 145’s vs 135’s seat of the pants?? (In my car it’ll be on 5.5” wide 5 spokes)

And I’m guessing the truth holds that the old round 135/145’s should be more comfortable than their (say 155/60-15) counterparts?)
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

I have 175/55r15 front and 195/60r15 rear on a bug that is about stock height rear, and a stock width beam with stock spindles and slightly lowered in the front. Imo they are a little on the small size, especially the front tires. I have a huge fender gap and yet the tires are so small I have hardly any ground clearance. If I were to do it again I'd go with a 195/55r15 front and 205/65r15 rear to close up the fender gap and still have decent ground clearance as well as get closer to stock gearing.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Thank you Petrol,

Based on a lot of things, including what you just said….I’m leaning VERY heavily toward…… 175/65-15.

165/65-15 could work too it’s little too close to a 135’s sidewalk height and if I can get even just a *little* more cushion I think I’ll take it and I think 186/65-15 will get me there based on some local opinions too!!!

Idea
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
Thank you Petrol,

Based on a lot of things, including what you just said….I’m leaning VERY heavily toward…… 175/65-15.

165/65-15 could work too it’s little too close to a 135’s sidewalk height and if I can get even just a *little* more cushion I think I’ll take it and I think 186/65-15 will get me there based on some local opinions too!!!

Idea

on a lowered 66 bug I found the 175/65-15 just a bit too big both wide and tall. On stock wheels (4 inch wide). I also felt like the steering wasn't as good

On my type 34 I used the 165/65-15 and it was perfect on a stock wheel to match the 165/80-15's on the rear. great set up

I've run the small 135's and 145's, the 165/45's on a bus, etc. I don't like them Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

Hmmmm….I must admit the guy who I know that’s actually riding on them right now is on BRM’s which I believe are 5.5 wide so maybe that makes a difference.

Any pics you might have of both setups?
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

I’ve never been a fan of running 135,s or 145’s . There’s just not enough contact patch on the road. A panic stop on a wet road can cause some damage pretty quick. I used to run 195/50-15’s up front.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: what size tire is best for midly lowered bug? Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
I’ve never been a fan of running 135,s or 145’s . There’s just not enough contact patch on the road. A panic stop on a wet road can cause some damage pretty quick. I used to run 195/50-15’s up front.

195/55-VR15 on 5.5x15 ET 42 with a 3" drop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: