Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I got my shim set today. what a joke.

I saw that post take a drastically different direction in my head. They MUST be good! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
They MUST be good! Cool

they are better than good. not only are they so pretty you want to put them in plain view and THEY WORK and fit perfectly .

I am glad to have had the opportunity to purchase a set. it's nice that he was able to offer them at such a good price.

as I said, I will but more if he had anyone flake out on him and he has a pile laying around.

I just wanted to get everyone's attention Very Happy I seem to be pretty good at that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind review. I'm glad they're meeting the need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChipWrecked wrote:
Thank you for the kind review. I'm glad they're meeting the need.

thank you for making them. I hope you didn't have a bunch of people flake out on you

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought me a set!!
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used mine yet, but skills is right these things are purty! I'd be down to buy another set of need be! Also thanks from me as well, love buying quality, much appreciated!👍👌🍻
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: A new direction Reply with quote

A few packs of shims remain... If anyone is interested.

Now I'm threadjacking my own thread...

I'm having a new need, and in turn possibly a new product.
I was able to procure a NOS heat shield for my 72'. It's so off-the-shelf perfect that I'm reluctant to use it on my planned daily driver. So, instead of bolting it up, I took caliper measurements to make a few in stainless steel.

316L stainless in 0.030" (22g) for the body, and 18g for the hangers. The benefit of this type of SS is it's lower thermal conductance, high resistance to oxidation and chemicals (road salt), and most importantly - it's super sparkly shiny. Razz

Now, the originals were internally lined with woven chrysotile, just like our late bay heat exchangers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since asbestos liner is out of the equation, I am leaning towards woven fiberglass blanket (like header wrap). The glass will be sandwiched b/w two SS sheets like the NOS design. I'll spot weld the hangers and then crimp the edges - which should be much better than the cheesy aftermarket ones that are out there. I am also tempted to replicate the bead roll that the OEM has. This adds rigidity I presume to keep the shield from flexing? But is it really necessary? The aftermarket ones lack this from what I can see.

More to come later...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing as long as there is a space between the two sheets life is good. So anything that can withstand the heat and not react with the stainless would be a good choice.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Material for the heat exchangers where discussed in this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7460708#7460708

Good Luck
Tcash
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A new direction Reply with quote

ChipWrecked wrote:
most importantly - it's super sparkly shiny. Razz

that is the most important part! if it's anything like the shims, you will make yet another quality product!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...as far as heat shields go......as one mentioned....having space between the panels is key.
In that respect....the fiberglass or rock wool (which is also excellent for this use) http://www.energyauditingblog.com/what-is-mineral-wool-rock-wool/
...is a good heat barrier and also a sound deadener because all of the little spaces inside the wool or fiberglass matting are zillions of little spaces where sound can bounce around until energy is spent (sound trap).

In that same vein.....getting something that creates both a spacer between the upper and lower parts of the shield....which helps to block heat....and arrests sound....can be done almost as well with expanded metal grid/sheet like this

https://www.google.com/search?q=galvanized+expande...B800%3B600

Another method that is used on many catalytic converter heat shields and downpipe manifold heat shields is to dimple one surface...top or bottom.....in a geometric pattern and and use a handful of those dimples...with a hole drilled through the sheet...as spot weld locations. The dimpled areas acct as heat reflectors as well and subdivides the inside area into zones.

This makes a superbly rigid triangulated construction that actually allows the use of thinner, lighter sheet on one side...is much more rigid than just two flat sheets welded together at the edges.....and in many cases allows actually leaving the outer perimeter edges open so that heat can flow through or out of the edges. It actually makes for a much better heat shield because its more difficult to saturate with heat all the way through because it has a method of dumping heat.

This is a product that works by this exact concept
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Brand/...ield-4-Ply

Something to think about. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

At the request of several members, more retaining plates have been made.

I can't recall all of the members that requested them, otherwise I would have PM'd you directly. This might come across as a shameless plug, but that's not really my style. Mods feel free to nuke this if it's sketchy. No worries.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1995576

VWRICK69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

I might have missed it, but do these fit the 71-72 or 73-79? Is there a difference. Are these still available? Thanks Rick
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

Version 2.0 available for a limited time.

They fit all ATE 71 through 79. No Girling.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2327400
uabscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

I need shims for my 72 Ghia convertible Ate 8 2 pin pad type 1 calipers? Will this design work?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

Until I clicked on the title out of idle curiosity, I had no idea that this topic thread was about disc-brake pad shims, for the 1971~79 VW Type 2. It might be usefull to include something to that effect in the title!

When my father bought our second-hand, early-1973-model-year, VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan, in January 1975, it had already covered about 29,000 miles since mid-November 1972.

At the next scheduled service-interval, it was "serviced" by ECTA Motors, the local franchised Volkswagen dealership, in Rochford, Essex, England; with whose quality of workmanship I was far from impressed! Twisted Evil

Whether our vehicle was ever factory-fitted with brake-disc-pad shims I shall never know, but it certainly did NOT have any when I took over all maintenance & upgrade work on the vehicle just a few years later. I later made my own shims out of stainless-steel sheet off-cuts that I scrounged from somewhere, when I eventually learned that such things existed, but I I didn't include any features to ensure that the caliper-pistons could not rotate out of their correct orientation.

I often wonder what other factory-fitted parts might be missing from this vehicle!?! When my father and I later decided to substitute a VW Type 4 style air-cooled engine, we were unaware that it was supposed to have a left-hand, exhaust heat-exchanger & silencer (i.e. muffler in USA parlance) support bracket; an item I have yet to see on any of the few 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 engines in my part of the World!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

Nigel, ATE or Girling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Nigel, ATE or Girling?

The whole braking system is made up of Alfred Teves ATE components (apart from the supplementary in-line brake-tubing connectors and the 3/16 inch Kunifer-10 tubing); including the front disc-brake calipers, and the two remote-acting, vacuum brake servo units that I mounted under the chassis.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: I made some 40 stainless retaining plate shims. Have a look. Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Nigel, ATE or Girling?

The whole braking system is made up of Alfred Teves ATE components (apart from the supplementary in-line brake-tubing connectors and the 3/16 inch Kunifer-10 tubing); including the front disc-brake calipers, and the two remote-acting, vacuum brake servo units that I mounted under the chassis.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: