Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doka Gangsta Lean
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Hi all,
My '91 Syncro Doka is showing signs of age (I think). The vehicle leans, or droops, left - that is, towards the driver's side. About 3/8 inch at the front axle, and about 1/2 inch at the rear, when measured from ground to the top of the wheel arch.

This is with the truck effectively unloaded, no more than a few light tools stowed in the treasure chest, and nothing (including passengers) either in the cab or in the bed. About 1/2 tank of diesel in the tank, but it looks this way regardless of fill level. It wasn't like this when I bought the rig two years ago. Doesn't seem like much but it is noticeable, at least to my eye.

Had 114K km on the working odometer when purchased but the PO was not sure if if had been rolled over (it's a Euro import); I suspect it has been rolled, but only once, based on general body / undercarriage wear condition. So let's say for talking purposes, 135K miles on the rig at this time.

This thing has 16" wheels / tires but I can't say whether the springs and/or shocks had been replaced to accept the larger wheel setup. These bits do not look 'new' to the eye or like they have been replaced, in part because the undercarriage had been undercoated.

I'm just wondering what might be likely candidates for why the rig has settled into this kind of stance. Would replacing the shocks / springs be a good first option? Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

You should measure from the center of each wheel hub/axle to the bottom lip of the fender. This will eliminate any issues with tires.

Let us know what you get for results.

Minor differences can be addressed by adding spacers above the front and rear springs, but there are limits as to how much can be done.

Here is an example for the rear, which can be adjusted the most.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732253&highlight=spacers

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

I think maybe an alignment shop might be the first stop.
Any accidents in the dokas past ? If not then maybe just springs ? If your shocks are really in old or need an upgrade, then go for those too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

I’m guessing you’ve throughly inspected the springs, shocks and perch(s) already? Since the rear is leaning more, perhaps it has suffered some past overload event that is now catching up and causes the front to lean also. Shock mount ok?

I carry a spare 5 gal of diesel around and tend to leave it in the chest on the passenger side since I’m often the only inhabitant.

Got pictures?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
You should measure from the center of each wheel hub/axle to the bottom lip of the fender. This will eliminate any issues with tires.

LF: 18-1/4" (464 mm)
RF: 18-1/2" (470 mm)
LR: 18-1/2" (470 mm)
RR: 19-0/0" (483 mm)

Last edited by Achilles3588 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I think maybe an alignment shop might be the first stop.

Just had it aligned not more than a couple hundred miles ago, after replacing the steering gear.

Crankey wrote:
Any accidents in the dokas past?
Not on my watch. No VIN report came with the rig but it can be seen by inspection that a front clip has been grafted on (from the windshield down, give or take, on the driver's side).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

LF: 18-1/4" (464 mm)
RF: 18-1/2" (470 mm)
LR: 18-1/2" (470 mm)
RR: 19-0/0" (483 mm)

Looks like a 1/2" spacer or maybe 3/8" in the left rear will get you very close. Good news is the the rear springs drop down real easy to add a spacer, the fronts are a beotch however.

(When you add a spacer to one rear corner it also affects the opposite front corner so try only the rear first. And I am happy if my heights are within 1/4" side to side, I do not worry about differences front to rear too much.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
I’m guessing you’ve throughly inspected the springs, shocks and perch(s) already?

I've inspected them for obvious signs of damage or failure but not removed anything from the rig. That's when I found a steering gear boot and the passenger's tie rod boot had failed. Otherwise, nothing obvious that caused me alarm.

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Since the rear is leaning more, perhaps it has suffered some past overload event that is now catching up and causes the front to lean also.
Very possible; I think it was in farm / light construction service.

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Shock mount ok?
Looks OK.

Alaskaberrys wrote:
I carry a spare 5 gal of diesel around and tend to leave it in the chest on the passenger side since I’m often the only inhabitant.
Ditto but only a gallon. I'm never far from a filling station.

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Got pictures?
Next up.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Looks like a 1/2" spacer or maybe 3/8" in the left rear will get you very close. Good news is the the rear springs drop down real easy to add a spacer, the fronts are a beotch however.

(When you add a spacer to one rear corner it also affects the opposite front corner so try only the rear first. And I am happy if my heights are within 1/4" side to side, I do not worry about differences front to rear too much.)

OK this sounds like a first pass inexpensive potential fix working under the assumption that there is no major failure of the springs, shocks or perches; and if that doesn't solve the problem then I can move on to other, possibly more costly, options.

Said spacers are available from the usual suspects?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
Said spacers are available from the usual suspects?

The link above in dobryans post above has a great way to make them.

Edit - yes they do.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
The link above in dobryans post above has a great way to make them.

Cheers.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Spacers are typically used to correct for the westy lean, a truck shouldn't need it.
I would look at the springs and suspension bushings, they can be worn and do some wierd things. Make sure the rear jack points and trailing arms where the springs ride are in good shape.
Rebuilding the suspension makes a huge difference.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Spacers are typically used to correct for the westy lean, a truck shouldn't need it.

The campervan culture video hints at this due to most of the camper fixtures being on one side of the van. However if my truck has had some serious loads, I'm thinking that might've been the ultimate cause for its' lean. For example I'm still even now pulling fair sized stones out of the gap in the valence in front of the rear bumper. If the bed saw a load of those, the suspension got a workout. I've loaded the bed with bagged mulch recently, that might've caused some settling out as well.

syncrodoka wrote:
I would look at the springs and suspension bushings, they can be worn and do some weird things. Make sure the rear jack points and trailing arms where the springs ride are in good shape.
Will do the latter for sure, have seen how they can fail

syncrodoka wrote:
Rebuilding the suspension makes a huge difference.
Duly noted, it is not out of the question.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Look at the rear spring coils carefully, sometimes a broken/split coil is hard to identify. You can remove the rear coils easily if you want to compare their lengths, jack it up and unbolt the rear shock and the trailing arm will extend enough to remove them by hand. I would start there really.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Look at the rear spring coils carefully, sometimes a broken/split coil is hard to identify. You can remove the rear coils easily if you want to compare their lengths, jack it up and unbolt the rear shock and the trailing arm will extend enough to remove them by hand. I would start there really.

Yes that sounds like the right approach. Make that inspection, and I’m thinking to install a 1/2” spacer on the driver’s side in any case. Relatively easy to do, and if that doesn’t solve things, I’m into a greater or lesser suspension rebuild.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Got pictures?

Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Close to level ground. Tough to tell from these views.
Disregard the misalignment of the bed cap relative to the drop down tailgate.

A little more on the history. It's been about a year since swapping the OG JX 1.6L TD for a 1.9L AFN TDI. So, a lot of things got removed and replaced during that swap including the engine support brackets, the fuel tank (in order to replace the tank support brackets which were pretty well rusted out), the trans, battery, etc. but none of the rear suspension components. Apart from the long block the engine is pretty much stock - OG turbo, air filter, coolant bottles, etc. It's tough for me to believe the new engine is so significantly heavier than the original that the extra weight explains the new 'stance'.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1990 syncro doka with less than 100km on the clock. It had had a lot of body work done so that part was in great shape. But the suspension was all original. I debated whether to replace springs and shocks because it rode pretty well. Once I pulled the trigger tho, I found this:

Given the relatively low mileage, and great condition of body (indicating light use over time), I was surprised at the terrible condition of the suspension components, rust notwithstanding.

So I replaced with Bilstein rear, OME front struts, Schwenk standard no-lift springs, and powder coated a replacement mustache bar. Also all new motor mounts needed. Those were horrible.

Here is post-replacement stance. Note this is a Syncro 16" so it rides a little higher anyway.

I guess based on my experience I'd say replace it all!
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

Curious if you got it figured out?

I just realized mine leans to the passenger side. RR=19.5"; LR=20".

Half inch doesn't seem like much, but visually seems noticeable. Shocked
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Gangsta Lean Reply with quote

I can't say if this is appropriate for a Doka but like many or most, my Westy leans to the driver's side, possibly due to the weight of the kitchen,
water tank, propane tank & storage areas. Oh yeah, and the driver.

I resolved that lean with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMA96W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now it sits level:

I don't go crazy with the air pressure, just enough to correct that annoying fraction of an inch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: