Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 78 Tin Top
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

"I did a thing!"
Picked up today, 1978 tin top. It's got rust, it's got a questionable paint job probably hiding more bondo & rust and for now the brakes are only good for the driveway/dead end road. She drove around no problem and was fine on our road (low traffic/dead end). I don't think she would have been good for someone as a first bus, but as a 2nd bus, with a 79 FI for point of reference I like it. For now enjoy the use of flex tape to cover the holes to keep bugs & water out. The driver side rocker will be the big winter project. I also need to sort out the shift linkage. Keeps popping out of reverse and it's loud. My 79 is an automatic so I haven't had to dig into a manual yet. Good times ahead! Run/Stop & safe first.. the body work can wait until I sell my Ghia project and reclaim a garage spot this fall/winter. I like that there's very little original left because it's a blank slate. My 79 is too close to original to mess with. The best part is how excited my wife is and she's adopted it already. This is good for parts ordering as well as keeping her from wanting to drive my 79.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

The hole in the front looks like a bullet hole. Does it go through?
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The hole in the front looks like a bullet hole. Does it go through?

I agree, I think it is too. You can see right through it. I should look to see if I can find a matching hole somewhere in the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

The white looks like it was painted on with a brush, and the blue/green with a nappy roller. Have fun. Shocked
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
The white looks like it was painted on with a brush, and the blue/green with a nappy roller. Have fun. Shocked

The white and the 'aqua?teal?' were definitely hand painted.. and THICK too. I was out cleaning the tetanus off last night with a green scotch brite pad. The positive is that paint is so think it's well protected for a while until I get the mechanical stuff handled. I also noticed last night the front bumper is on upside down too.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

Well I give you credit for going ahead with that one. Youve got some stones to take that on. Even after most of us poo-poo’d your original ask about it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Well I give you credit for going ahead with that one. Youve got some stones to take that on. Even after most of us poo-poo’d your original ask about it.

Thanks. It actually wasn't as bad as I was anticipating but it certainly has some "quirks". You all did exactly what I wanted you to, tell me all the reasons not to, so it's all good. I don't post here for sunshine & roses. It's more of a tough love, drunk uncle speaking his mind kind of forum Smile Most of what it needs I'm comfortable with handling.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

Thanks. It actually wasn't as bad as I was anticipating but it certainly has some "quirks". You all did exactly what I wanted you to, tell me all the reasons not to, so it's all good. I don't post here for sunshine & roses. It's more of a tough love, drunk uncle speaking his mind kind of forum Smile Most of what it needs I'm comfortable with handling.

Look forward to your progress Smile
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New 78 Tin Top Reply with quote

In this area, everyone is apparently watching Barrett Jackson reruns every week & they all “…know what these are going for on The Samba”. And with 12 colleges & universities and another 8 community colleges, there is no shortage of doe eyed dreamers looking for a VW “van”. Unlike the West coast, there weren’t as many VWs & of those, most have rotted away or been crushed decades ago.

Hopefully, that hole was put there by a frustrated PO & not someone still looking for a very obvious target. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: