Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 engine - 6 to 12 volt conversion
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: 1500 engine - 6 to 12 volt conversion Reply with quote

As I was having too many issues with starting my '65 bus, I deceided to do the 12 volt conversion.

Keeping you original engine will take more effort then just swapping a later beetle or bay engine, but I deceided to do so anyways.

Here's the parts I had to order to convert my 6 volt 1500 :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the Bosch parts (alternator instead of dynamo) in total it was 830 euro ($1K) but we went this way to have a reliable converision + 100 for a new 12volt battery.

Some notes :

- 12V flywheel needed machining (inner lip) to fit!
- Bellhousing gearbox needed a little grinding to fit the bigger flywheel
- Carb needs spacing, we could have used the carb-space set, but we flipped the RPM limiter backwards that created enough space to clear the alternator

Very happy with the result, finally a decent crancking starter, and now I can add a decent stereo system Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Very Happy

I know there are other ways, but this one seemed to make sence, and everythings works up to the cabin lights, so I'm a happy camper Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 engine - 6 to 12 volt conversion Reply with quote

My 66 Microbus was previously converted from 6V to 12V prior to my ownership back in 1988.

A 6V starter getting 12V is a wonderful thing. Takes just a blip of the key and she's off and running. No need to change out the flywheel either.

The 6V horn getting 12V is twice as loud.

The amber bulbs for the fried egg front turn signals are probably nice, but if you clean up the housings and use a bit of chrome paint on the metal, take the amber lens out of the clear part of the outer lens and scrub the dirt from both with dish soap and a tooth brush before putting it all back together, a clear bulb will make the turn signals really "pop".
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 engine - 6 to 12 volt conversion Reply with quote

From my experience you get the best results from replacing the wiring harness and not from the 6v to 12v conversion.

I went through the whole conversion more than 25 years ago. and it worked fine for a while. But, it started giving me problems starting when the engine was hot.

Now after I did a full restore on the bus including replacing the wiring harness all my problems are gone. I am still using the same 12V starter only the ground connections and all of the lugs have been cleaned. I am sure this would have worked with 6v just as well.

Get rid of the big fat resistor for the wiper motor and get your self a 5A to 10A step down DC/DC converter for a few Euros off of eBay. You can also power your gas gauge off of that.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 engine - 6 to 12 volt conversion Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
My 66 Microbus was previously converted from 6V to 12V prior to my ownership back in 1988.

A 6V starter getting 12V is a wonderful thing. Takes just a blip of the key and she's off and running. No need to change out the flywheel either.

This is the biggest single item that makes the conversion simple. A 6v. starter will last nearly forever in a 12v. system. No need to pull the motor, change flywheel and starter etc. Been running the same 6v. starter in Rosie since I got her in 1990. She starts almost instantly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 engine - 6 to 12 volt conversion Reply with quote

I had a bus that was 12v with a 6v starter. It died at a stop light once. Light turned green, I put it in gear & cranked the starter & away I went. the starter drove me to a safe place to pull over & trouble shoot my problem. Always liked how quick they start though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: