Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Popcorn
any updates?
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

I've been a little busy, yet here is an update. I created a gas tank both inside and outside the van. I thought it was the best way to carry a lot of diesel without having to use a gas can.

The tank has been pressure tested 3 times and has two layers of interior coating. It was a pain to build, yet i think it will hold around 23-29 gallons of diesel. That's not what i was going for and is to big, but what ever. Its done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have some pictures of it in place, yet my phone and samba are not working well with each other today. Post them a little later.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
bosco53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Man!! How have I missed this thread?!? AND you're in SD! Guess I don't spend enough time perusing the samba nowadays. Need to make it a habit again.

Anyway, got turned on to here by your intro email for this year's Syncrosafari! Excellent work! Can't wait to see it in action! Maybe we can setup a caravan trip if you're interested? It'll likely be slow going for us as I'm not sure I'll have time to do my motor swap in my Doka before we go and I'll be hauling a truck camper. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Always more fun with more rigs though! I'll reach out through email too.

Uncle Buck, 86 Syncro GL Camper Conversion - Restored to it's original glory and sold. 💔
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

bosco53 wrote:
Man!! How have I missed this thread?!? AND you're in SD! Guess I don't spend enough time perusing the samba nowadays. Need to make it a habit again.

Anyway, got turned on to here by your intro email for this year's Syncrosafari! Excellent work! Can't wait to see it in action! Maybe we can setup a caravan trip if you're interested? It'll likely be slow going for us as I'm not sure I'll have time to do my motor swap in my Doka before we go and I'll be hauling a truck camper. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Always more fun with more rigs though! I'll reach out through email too.

When we get a little closer i will PM you. I don't know if my wife has ideas about side trips on the way up, but lets see. She may have me going to look at the worlds largest yarn ball or something crazy like that Laughing

Cluster Rebuild:

bosco53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

When we get a little closer i will PM you. I don't know if my wife has ideas about side trips on the way up, but lets see. She may have me going to look at the worlds largest yarn ball or something crazy like that Laughing

Sounds like a plan! We never shy away from new experiences. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need a hand on the rig as well! 🍻

Uncle Buck, 86 Syncro GL Camper Conversion - Restored to it's original glory and sold. 💔
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Over the weekend i filled the tank up with measured water and it holds 32 gallons of diesel!!! With the filler hose its safe to say it could be filled up to 35 gallons in total. That's well into the 1000 mile range.

Added some fire "proofing/protectant"

Had a little problem fitting the cover over, yet i will fix the hole later.

almost home.

Cluster Rebuild:

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Now that's a fuel tank. Very nicely done.
bosco53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Wow!! Very nice!! And 1k miles on a tank?!? Epic!!!

Are you gonna be done for Syncrosafari? Sadly my Doka is out of commission and I won't have it back up in time to go. 😭

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Little more about the fuel tank install: The tank is mounted on the main frame rails above the coolant pipes. The excessively massive tractor fuel filter is on the drivers side rear wheel well and all the tubing is mostly normal for the rest of the install.

I really don't have range anxiety, yet it its possible this van could do the pan America trip some day, lord willing. I figure I will just put $50 in at a time when filling. No need to fully fill it up because its 275+ pounds in added weight if i do. It nice to have the option though, I'm sure when diesel fuel hits lows, a little more will be added during fill ups.

Subaru fuel filter vs. Cat

Cluster Rebuild:

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

I would recommend a sheetmetal shield protecting the fuel filter from the misguided, but well aimed stones coming off the tire in that 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance it gets punctured.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing. I'm just waiting for all the work to be completed in the area before its closed up. Maybe one of those wheel well liners or metal cover. Thanks for looking out.

Cluster Rebuild:

59class5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Any updates?
59class5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Left for Dead...The Resurrection Story....(AWD EE-20) Reply with quote

Any updates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: