Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

Hi there-
I'm getting somewhat close to the end of installing a Subaru EJ25 into a 1990 Vanagon. I've gotten through most of this build by consulting all the great online resources out there, but the cooling system is still a mystery to me.
I guess the reason for this is that most of the pictures online don't seem to match my Vanagon cooling system setup.

I'm hoping someone can walk me through this. I know it's not rocket science but I just need to know which hose to hook up to which hose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

V1 (Van 1): This is one of the main under-body tubes going up to the radiator.
V2: The second big under-body tube from the radiator comes up to something I'm calling the "coolant manifold." There is a smaller diameter tube stub coming out of the coolant manifold, pointing towards the engine, that I am calling V2.
V3: Also emerging from the coolant manifold is another smaller diameter hose which crosses over the top of the engine to the driver side, just under the lip of the deck lid opening. I'm calling this V3.

H1&2: Also in this photo are the heater hoses, which I've labeled H 1&2. I assume that these connect to the metal tube stubs emerging from the EJ25, also seen in this photo. But, which one goes to which one? Does it matter? I've also seen people add an "H" type crossover between the heater lines using two "T" fittings, but this doesn't make any sense to me! Is that required?

In this picture we see:

E1 (engine 1): The connection at the thermostat, which I believe is where the coolant returns to the engine.

And in this picture we see:

E2: The other main coolant connection on the EJ25, which I think is the water pump outlet. And...
V3: Another view of V3, the tube that emerges from the coolant manifold and crosses over to the driver's side.

Obviously I also need to plumb in the expansion tank and the overflow tank.

To be honest I would love it if someone could just say "Well, connect E1 to V3, etc."
OR, point me to the correct online resource for this. I've seen the diagrams at subaruvanagon.com but I find them confusing.

Thanks so much,
Christian
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

Your coolant tower is going to disappear and you may want to cut out the part of the firewall where it attaches. The only hoses of concern that now attach to it are V1 and the top unmarked hose that is the heater supply hose.

V1 is your hose feeding to the radiator, it attaches to your Subaru coolant manifold at E2, though many people alter the manifold so it sticks out the opposite corner of the engine right near where the coolant tower was. If you are set up to weld aluminium you can modify your own manifold though getting the angle correct the first time around would be a challenge, otherwise just buy one of the pre-modified ones various vendors sell.

You need some form of heater bypass. The stock Subaru heater system has coolant flowing through it at all times, and you must in some way mimic this or the thermostat will not work correctly and you will get severe overheating. The "H" pipe is fairly simple and doesn't seem to affect the heat much if it is installed far forward. Mine if over the spare tire. There are lots of options and opinions on how to do the bypass. You need a way to supply the heater loop as well, not sure what is on the 1.5L that could be used, though welding a nipple into the reversed manifold is one way to go.

You need to figure out how you are going to cool your automatic transmission. I have an air to oil cooler installed in front of the radiator with a thermostatically control bypass valve installed in the lines.
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

Wow, great... thanks Wild Things.

Your post cleared up several things for me.
I did not know that the coolant tower (what I was calling the Coolant Manifold) goes away. That explains why I never see it in any of the pix.

So...

V1 attaches to E2.
(Another thing you've cleared up for me is what is meant by "reversing" the Subaru coolant manifold. I am in fact an excellent aluminum welder but I don't think I'll bother. Running a hose around the engine just seems easier and I'm actually building this van on a tight timeframe.)

And then, I suppose that the large hose feeding the coolant tower (which I did not label) then connects to E1 (thermostat) ?

Now regarding the heater hoses... I now understand from what you wrote which are the two heater hoses. (One of the hoses that I THOUGHT was a heater hose comes out of a T from the large diameter radiator hose just before the coolant tower... I suppose that I simply discard that one.) Does it matter which heater hose goes to which metal tube from the EJ25 coolant manifold?

I understand what you wrote about the bypass. Will do.

Now what about the expansion tank? Where the hell do I plumb that thing in?

Regarding the transmission cooling... I installed an air-to-oil cooler under the van.

I might fabricate a scoop of some sort to force air through it...

Thanks so much,
Christian
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

i used the small car routing:

works 100%

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

I dont know why but the cooling system was one of my favorite parts of doing the conversion. It just felt good imagining, fabbing, routing and then having it work as planned. Same with the diy wire harness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

crobox wrote:
attaches to E2. [/u]
(Another thing you've cleared up for me is what is meant by "reversing" the Subaru coolant manifold. I am in fact an excellent aluminum welder but I don't think I'll bother. Running a hose around the engine just seems easier and I'm actually building this van on a tight timeframe.)

And then, I suppose that the large hose feeding the coolant tower (which I did not label) then connects to E1 (thermostat) ?

Now regarding the heater hoses... I now understand from what you wrote which are the two heater hoses. (One of the hoses that I THOUGHT was a heater hose comes out of a T from the large diameter radiator hose just before the coolant tower... I suppose that I simply discard that one.) Does it matter which heater hose goes to which metal tube from the EJ25 coolant manifold?[/img]

I might fabricate a scoop of some sort to force air through it...

Thanks so much,
Christian

Sorry, I miss identified what hose your V1 was referring to. The large hose coming off the coolant tower is the feed to the radiator and thus should connect to E2, and V1 is the radiator return which typically goes to the thermostat housing via an added pipe as Skills drawing shows.

The the unlabeled 5/8" ID hose off the cooling tower is the feed hose for the heater loop. Skill's and my setups are different as the how the heater loop and pressure tank are plumbed. His may not require a heater bypass, not sure, which would be a plus.

My system runs Subaru coolant manifold heater outlet----upper fitting on Expansion Tank----lower fitting on Expansion Tank----unlabled hose----heater loop including "H" bypass fitting----original Subaru heater return pipe.
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

OK I have finally wrapped my head around all of this.

(It's funny to see how many things I got wrong in my first post with pictures)

One last question:
Regarding the two heater lines which come back from the van: One is the flow TO the heaters and this one goes to the coolant manifold. The other hose is the return FROM the heaters and this one goes to the Subaru's built-in bypass to the thermostat.
But how do I know which line is the TO and which line is the FROM?

It's easy to trace the hoses from the rear heater... and one has a valve on it... which one is which?

Thanks a bunch,
Christian
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

your hot coolant FEED from the subaru crossover pipe will go to the line with the heater valve shut off

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

The hot coolant leaving the engine goes to the coolant distribution manifold. The heater supply and radiator supply (hot side) both exit the manifold. Heater and radiator return go to the left side of the van in the stock configuration. Your coolant return pipe from the radiator is broken in your photograph. That is on the cold return side. The hot side is usually worse. You need to do something about the pipes.

There are lots of diagrams of coolant systems for Subagons out there. I do not run a Subie motor but I can guaranty that the bypass system to make the thermostat work is the hardest part.
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
your hot coolant FEED from the subaru crossover pipe will go to the line with the heater valve shut off

Great, Thank you Skills
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
Your coolant return pipe from the radiator is broken in your photograph.

Can you tell me more specifically what you're seeing that's broken?

I've been under there a lot and haven't seen anything broken... and nothing is leaking or dripping even though the lines have fluid....

But I certainly don't want to reassemble broken stuff....
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

The long plastic coolant pipes have a steel insert in the ends. That insert is beaded or flared. The plastic has a barb at the ends. The flare reinforces the plastic barb. The barb gives mechanical purchase to retain the hose and clamp. The plastic pipe cracks through behind flare. Then the steel insert creeps out of the pipe.

So now the hose can move on the pipe. Leakage occurs and later a bad day.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

Google subaruvanagon coolant systems images. Easiest crossover feedback loop to the thermostat is two Tees between the heater hoses. I use PEX 3/4x3/4 x1/2 Tees and a bit of 1/2 inch hose. 3/4 inch fittings will fit 5/8 hose.The effective opening is 3/8 inch for the crossover.
I've used 1.5 inch marine exhaust hose fitted over the plastic pipe past the brass insert and double clamped it with no problems.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

If you have an extra tube on the coolant pump for an oil cooler you can Tee some hot coolant from the hot heater line as a feedback loop.

Without an extra nipple welded on the coolant manifold for hot coolant access and you want a flow-through design expansion tank, you can Tee off the hot heater line to the top of the expansion tank with bottom back to the heater return using reducers (1 inch to 5/Cool for your feedback loop. With the heater valve closed you still have continuous flow through the expansion tank and a feedback loop. You can adjust the opening of the Tee in the heater return to be either 3/8 or 1/2 inch opening cheap and easy with PEX fittings.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

The best diagram I have seen is at RJES website form England. It is clearly labeled and easy to read and understand.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

A #4 cylinder cooling mod would function as a feedback loop to the thermostat as well. Two kits available or I found an M20 x 1.5 male by 1/2 NPT female fitting on Amazon + 1/2NPT barb fitting + PEX Tee to the heater return for cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GHttsdHIR8
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
The long plastic coolant pipes have a steel insert in the ends. That insert is beaded or flared. The plastic has a barb at the ends. The flare reinforces the plastic barb. The barb gives mechanical purchase to retain the hose and clamp. The plastic pipe cracks through behind flare. Then the steel insert creeps out of the pipe.

So now the hose can move on the pipe. Leakage occurs and later a bad day.

I understand what you've written.

I wonder if anyone has a photograph of these steel inserts? Or could point me to such a photo?

I will inspect the ends of the plastic tubes for cracks. If I can't find any cracks, I will probably machine some stainless inserts (while I ponder the mystery of where the original inserts went....)

Thanks!
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

When you're working on something like this, you just think about it all the time. You don't have a choice!

So I've come to understand the function of the bypass in terms of the thermostat function.

For the most part I am following the Small Car system arrangement. I have so far plumbed everything other than the bypass.

Here is the standard Small Car coolant diagram, with which I'm sure most folks are already familiar:

The first question I have is: Doesn't the section of the system with the expansion tank (outlined in pink below) function as a bypass?

I imagine that the answer is that the hot coolant flowing through the expansion tank has cooled down just a bit by the time it's gotten through there, and then it mixes with the coolant from the radiator - which has cooled down a lot - and so it suffers from the same set of circumstances as the heater return line.

So my next question is...

Why could you not just use T fittings to arrange a bypass such as I have photoshopped in the above image (pink arrow)? This seems to accomplish much the same task as the Small Car plumbing and the Tom Shiels spacer, but without the added time and expense of modifying the coolant manifold or the stock Subaru bypass...

Cheers,
Christian
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

For what its worth, the coolant diagram from RJES, seen here, shows the hot side supply line for the heaters coming in on the line without the control valve... which is the opposite of the info provided above by Mr. Skills@eurocarsplus.

Hmmm...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru EJ25 into a Vanagon BASIC COOLING SYSTEM questions Reply with quote

crobox wrote:
For what its worth, the coolant diagram from RJES, seen here, shows the hot side supply line for the heaters coming in on the line without the control valve... which is the opposite of the info provided above by Mr. Skills@eurocarsplus.

Hmmm...

I would run the hoses so that the flow was in the stock direction which unless I am mistaken is what Skills suggested. I know for my rig where I have gone to a Ford heater valve to control the flow through the front heater, the heater valve will leak through if you reverse the direction of flow making it so you can't turn the heat off all the way.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: