Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

It's awesome, kudos on a well-done job. The hood gaps are nice and tight and uniform, very nice.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Very nice. Cool
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I got my new plugs and wires into the bug today. Also got my restored distributor in. Threw my timing light on for good measure and the notch is dead balls on the line in the case, so far so good. Car is running and doing ok, certainly sounds good - if not a tad fast. I had been smelling fuel and came to realize when the carb was rebuilt it was likely never “set up”.
So, I looked in my manual and with the engine running, I turned the screw in - the engine slowed; ok I thought. Then, too slow! So I opened up a bit. Too fast! I did this dance for a bit until it sounded healthy. Still, a tad fast - even if it did slow up after 15/20 seconds.
So, I do notice that when starting the car it takes a good handful of cranks. Sometimes, I even need to come off the starter and try a second go - upon which it starts. Is this a timing issue or does that sound like a carb/fuel problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

My speedometer and radio illumination are not working. Of course, my first stop will be power and ground, then bulbs. Looking at the diagram, power goes to the Speedo light (and has a splitter to the radio lights) which goes to the bulbs and the grounds through the speedometer or the radio respectively. Is this correct? I partially suspect an issue with my light switch given that other than my headlights I get no other control from the switch. I just want to make sure I’m chasing this in the right direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the radio illumination isn't tied to the gauge backlighting circuit, rather, it's powered internally and lights up when the radio is switched on.

The speedometer and fuel gauge backlighting are controlled via a dimmer rheostat inside the headlight switch, with power coming out at terminal 58b (red/grey striped wire) in all positions except off. The rheostat contacts can get dirty over time, and a few quick cycles of the dimmer knob from full bright to full dim will often get things working normally again. Other than bad or incorrect bulbs, the other likely problem you'll run into is poor connections between the bulb, bulb holder, and the bulb holder socket in the gauge. All backlighting circuits ground through their respective gauges to the dash.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks.
Based on this diagram which matches my radio model and year it seems there is a spade-split for the gray and red wire which goes to the radio. I assumed this was the light-circuit wire for the radio given that it goes to the light bulb in the speedo.

I do think the issue may be in my switch though as neither of the other gauges illuminate. I will try the full bright-full dim cycling tonight though and see if that helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Going to change my oil tomorrow.
I know with my 77 bus which had solid lifters I had to add zinc additive into the oil. Should I do the same with my 64 bug?
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Is there a “correct” orientation for the interior door handles?
When setting mine up yesterday, with the correct gray knobs and escutcheons, we set them parallel in just a position that looked nice and was out of the way of the door arm rest.
Looking at the 22 mile ‘64, it seems as though the door handle should be oriented straight down (presumably for ease of open/unlock or lock functions). As for the window winder it’s tough to tell what position it is in when closed as I can’t tell the position of the window be it up or down from the photo.
Does anyone have insight?

The Off Radar ‘64:

My 64:

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I'd say: leave the Herbie stickers off. It's already a heads turner like this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
I'd say: leave the Herbie stickers off. It's already a heads turner like this!

Lol hi, welcome to the thread. Haha
You’re right, and I agree. Thanks for the compliment - they’re staying off!

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Replaced the headlight switch with one I got this last weekend at the swap. Went from the box-style to the round style. Not sure which is “more correct” but I got the new one in and all wires connected. All lights now working, strong and bright.
Really happy that my dash lights work again. Just have to chase why my rear license plate light doesn’t come on though.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Pretty excited that the car won first place last weekend at the Terryville Bug A Fair and came away today with another first.

Also had the chance to line up three of the car’s owners at the Bug A Fair last weekend.
Owner 4 happened to live nearby to the Connecticut show and had no plans for the day. So I invited him down to come see the car.
Owners 4,5, and 6 pose with the 64! I have to get down to see #1 soon, 2 is dead, and 3 is accounted for but not in good health himself.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I try to position the window crank so it isnt in the way of my knee when the window is all the up or all the way down. I am long legged and my left knee is always resting against the area of the window crank.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
I try to position the window crank so it isnt in the way of my knee when the window is all the up or all the way down. I am long legged and my left knee is always resting against the area of the window crank.

Thanks Bill! I did reposition my handles to match how they are set in the 22 Mile '64 - which as you indicate also means the handles are away from my knee when I am sitting in the car. I didn't think that through when I put them on the first time but it's a much better configuration!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

It is also correct for the window crank to sit in a 45 degree position towards the upper corner of the door panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
It is also correct for the window crank to sit in a 45 degree position towards the upper corner of the door panel.

Awesome. That’s what I did when I saw that was how the 22 Mile 64 was still configured.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

Awesome. That’s what I did when I saw that was how the 22 Mile 64 was still configured.

That's a little detail, often overlooked.
Nice car and of course beautiful colour. I love pearl white!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thank you! I appreciate the compliment!
I did have them on wrong - as shown above.
I instantly realized that it looked nice but didn’t “feel right” as my knee would hit the winder.
I looked here - you can find anything on TS! - and thankfully there clear photos of the 22 mile ‘64.
I know from my days with my ‘77 Baywindow Westy that VW did have a “correct” orientation for the handles so I assumed that there was some similar reasoning for the Beetles.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

That's a really nice looking car. It provides much for how mine may look one day.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
That's a really nice looking car. It provides much for how mine may look one day.

Thank you! Coming from someone who is often impatient, my project dragged for most of 2020. My line of work meant I was away from the house most days from like 8 am to 9-10 pm or later some days and the bug just sat half-assembled in my garage.
Only this spring when things started to slow up did I get to enlist some VW friends and finish it up.
You’ll get there. I didn’t think it would take me so long but look where we wound up.
Keep on man! Can’t wait to see your car done!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: