Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel bearing installation help needed
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrekhus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

Installing rear wheel bearings on a 63 Beetle. Left side tapped into place just fine. Right side is fighting me. Got it tapped on most of the way and it just doesn’t seem to want to go any further. Any suggestions on how to get it the rest of the way? Do I just keep tapping on it?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

they usually are pretty loose in the axle tube housing, so I assume you mean the inner race doesn't want to go far enough on the axle shaft. If you can get it off again, try some red Scotch Brite to polish the axle shaft there.

I hope you are tapping on the inner race. If not, do so with a hammer and long flat-end punch. Alternately, use a blunt-end attachment on an air impact hammer, but again, on the inner race that seats on the axle shaft.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ebrekhus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
they usually are pretty loose in the axle tube housing, so I assume you mean the inner race doesn't want to go far enough on the axle shaft. If you can get it off again, try some red Scotch Brite to polish the axle shaft there.

I hope you are tapping on the inner race. If not, do so with a hammer and long flat-end punch. Alternately, use a blunt-end attachment on an air impact hammer, but again, on the inner race that seats on the axle shaft.

Yes I have been tapping on the inner race alternating side to side. It’s almost there but not quite enough to get the bearing cap on.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

It sounds like you only need a couple more millimeters of travel. The air hammer might help, as vibratory micro-impacts often "walk" stubborn parts along their way. And you can pull on the axle shaft with one hand while you use the air tool in the other. I'm talking about one of these using the pointy bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwood-Air-Hammer-Pneumatic-Chisel/dp/B07PXN9H3Z
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

I was having the same problem on my car and I found a thread in which it was mentioned that installing the rear drums and torquing them down will finish driving the bearing in (the nut pulls the axle while the drum pushes the inner race)

That's the way I did it, but I would have preferred a method where I could see that it was working correctly. I initially couldn't get the castle nut on far enough to install the pin. It took A LOT of force to get it together.
ebrekhus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

jimdubs wrote:
I was having the same problem on my car and I found a thread in which it was mentioned that installing the rear drums and torquing them down will finish driving the bearing in (the nut pulls the axle while the drum pushes the inner race)

That's the way I did it, but I would have preferred a method where I could see that it was working correctly. I initially couldn't get the castle nut on far enough to install the pin. It took A LOT of force to get it together.

Did you just put the drum on with no other parts between the drum and the bearing and tighten the axle nut?
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

Did that axle slide out with the bearing?
You may have pulled the axle out far enough that the fulcrum plates dropped behind the axle spade... If that's the case...
DO a search for fulcrum plate problems.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

ebrekhus wrote:
Did you just put the drum on with no other parts between the drum and the bearing and tighten the axle nut?

I put everything in as if I was putting together for good, because I was.

I imagine you could just slip the drum onto the axle end with no backing plate and hold the drum to keep the axle from turning while you run the nut on, but I cannot verify that because I never tried it. I tried to use a length of pipe to achieve the same thing but the problem was that the axle turned and I had no way to stop it. The brake drum would give you something to hold.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

No need to tap, pound, beat the bearing on to the axle - it's not good for the internal transmission parts. Install inner spacer, bearing then the drum. Carefully tighten the axle nut until it bottoms out (nut will run out of thread). Remove drum and install outter spacer and drum again then tighten all the way - the bearing is now fully seated on the axle.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
riverart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing installation help needed Reply with quote

I did what Joey said, except I just put it all together and bolted it up. The tapping on the inner race didn't work for me and I was afraid of damaging tranny.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: