Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

andrigs fan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Quote:
jpaull wrote:
One problem with the current metal fans is the basic sheetmetal flexes so easy. Half of these that i install, i spin them, and they are not even true. When tightening it on, it bends/flexes some. it relys on one thin sheet of flexible sheetmetal to keep straight. Not exactly a foundation of strength.

A one piece of composite that is most likely not flexible seems like something that would stay straight and true better.

SOOOO TRUE!!!

I just (two weeks ago) received a new (had to wait nearly two months to receive since they were on backorder) "welded and balanced" type 1 DH fan from Gene Berg Enterprises ($129.00).

It certainly looks new and is nicely welded. I have no way to test or verify if it is "balanced" (which I was assured was done "dynamically" when I inquired prior to ordering). It looks like a quality piece and I am by no means questioning the quality, integrity, or pricing of GBE!

In my case, the issue is the DESIGN OF THE FAN and my not having a zillion-dollar strobe lighted truing fixture/machine. The runout was/is "wobbly as H#LL" despite my best pitiful efforts to correct it using every means available to me as a hobbyist! I think that I have gotten it to a point that it won't rub (at least in the mockup), but I will just have to wait and see how it behaves at speed and under load. I am prone to believe that the best that I can hope for is that it doesn't rub - forget "runs true". Sad

Of course, it can be argued that "not rubbing" is GOOD ENOUGH, but after over-killing in a lot of other areas, I am striving to reduce vibration, noise, imbalance, inefficiency, etc. everywhere that I can. Rolling Eyes

I would/will replace it in a heartbeat if this new composite fan proves out!!

THANX, and STAY WELL!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I saw the aftermath of a fan explosion a couple weeks ago at a race over in Ohio ,at least I think that’s what happened. Not sure of the specifics or what happened, but it sure ruined a nice looking shroud. Maybe this composite fan won’t cause as much damage if it does come apart.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but as I look at it, it seems the hub of the composite fan would round out before the fan shattered
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I have a new Berg fan I bought, probably 25 years ago, never used that i just mounted on a alt to check play. Axial was.008", radial was .020".

There are 112 points that would need welded, if you so desire. Also, for the material, intake manifolds have been some form of plastic/glass, whatever for a long time.

Want to see how long something lasts? Try to purposely destroy it. Destructive testing.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting one of these fans and running it with my doghouse system ( all cylinder tins and flaps ). Where i live i am going to need all the cooling i can get with 9.5:1 compression and the tropical climate.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

being as light as it is, if the addaptors fit corectly it should need no balancing if the machine shop that made the mold had a clue what they were doing. I would suppose a shop that does turbos could balance them perfectly if some proper sized addaptors were made. truing up run out may help.
I did try to balance one of my fans that I spun up in the shroud.I got it about half as bad as it was, thats as far as I could get it.possiably du to side to side run out. I put it on my 2028 for 80000 mile of lots of zinggers & fun. before I sold the car, as far as I know it's still in there.
one thing to remember side to side run out will try to flex the fan back to a straight non run out plane when it gains rpm, the more rpm the more it trys to "right" it's self. this can be catastrophic for a fan thats not strong enough at the shaft area. I would of liked to seen a spider in the back side of andrigs fan, but it may not be a issue, only time and high rpm will tell,it may not need one. I also wonder about alt cooling, that may or may not be a issue as there are pullys that have fans aswell as some alts that have the internal fan, so it may not be needed in andrigs fans.
in the end we just need to do testing and try to read between the lines. blind test by owners are just that, blind.
If I were to try this fan on the same engine take the air flow reading in front of the fan with std type vw heads then again with super flow heads there should be quite a change in reading due to the different air flow through the heads as the supers have less fins, and a big hole between the ports thus reducing pressure letting more flow through. IMHO you need a fan that will flow and make more pressure than the oe fan. how close to the shroud the fan is makes a differance there too.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I would like to hear a recording or video of the test engine running with this fan. I am curious because Andrig mentions that it sounds louder and different than a stock fan.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I would like to hear a recording or video of the test engine running with this fan. I am curious because Andrig mentions that it sounds louder and different than a stock fan.

I will post a video, when I get mine. It’s on its way
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Looks like page 3 hasnt sprawled into garbage yet.

Forgive me if it was already mentioned but what is the fan made out of?

The nice thing about this fan is if you really want to balance it even more you actually have material to remove unlike the stock units. You have to be careful on what you take out of course but it's still and upgrade.

I know a hand full of people, and have seen many here on the samber, who complain about how noisy the stock fan is. I wonder if this new one ends up being quieter if it can be marketed as a quiet fan.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Respectfully, read pages 1&2 and visit his website.

I’m not touching the material question as I’ve already gone off on that one.

Andrig clearly tells everyone this fan is louder than stock...
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

chickensoup wrote:

Quote:
Forgive me if it was already mentioned but what is the fan made out of?

PLEEEEEZ NOOOOOOO!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Respectfully, read pages 1&2 and visit his website.

I’m not touching the material question as I’ve already gone off on that one.

Andrig clearly tells everyone this fan is louder than stock...

Ah ok thanks. I thought it was answered somewhere but couldnt find it when I skimmed over. I will check again. Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I never really noticed the fan noise on my car. I assumed all that noise I heard on other vw's was those dam pea shooters on the oe fluffmer.I woods thought a curved or even just angles blades wood be quieter and take push more air with less pumping losses. but Im no "rocket sciantest" I just drive the dam thing with dinamite straped to my back....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOM Shocked Rolling Eyes I have worked with lotsa diferent balde types.some are better than others.some are simopler to manufactiure than others. this type weather straight or curved or angled would be no different making the mold or molding it unless a lip was added. it is what it is we will have to waite and sea. too bad rock krushier w=isant hear he claimed to hold pattents of blade desyne and was a ex spurt in his field.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

These came in too late. It was 117* last week and I was driving my doghouse type 1 Laughing . If the initial reviews don't suck I'll probably order one of these to try. Worst case scenario, I'd rather have a plastic fan explode than a metal one. I've seen exploding metal fans break fins off the heads.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I've never noticed fan noise either...especially when driving. Where I live you keep the windows down or die from heat stroke

mark tucker wrote:
I never really noticed the fan noise on my car. I assumed all that noise I heard on other vw's was those dam pea shooters on the oe fluffmer.I woods thought a curved or even just angles blades wood be quieter and take push more air with less pumping losses. but Im no "rocket sciantest" I just drive the dam thing with dinamite straped to my back....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOM Shocked Rolling Eyes I have worked with lotsa diferent balde types.some are better than others.some are simopler to manufactiure than others. this type weather straight or curved or angled would be no different making the mold or molding it unless a lip was added. it is what it is we will have to waite and sea. too bad rock krushier w=isant hear he claimed to hold pattents of blade desyne and was a ex spurt in his field.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I've never noticed fan noise either...especially when driving. Where I live you keep the windows down or die from heat stroke

mark tucker wrote:
tex florida...dam neer the same weather, I was in tex last week for a few days.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
txoval wrote:

mark tucker wrote:
tex florida...dam neer the same weather, I was in tex last week for a few days.

I thought FL humidity levels were off the chart. I remember being yelled at to get ouf of the pool in Orlando during the summer due to an incoming thunder storm.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Fan noise, what's that? I can't hear a fan over the roar of the 45 Dells at WFO anymore than I can hear it over the whine of the straight cut cam gears. Shocked

For all the questions here regarding the materials of construction, noise and balance.
Buy one and try it. For the price point. It's an inexpensive component.
Test it yourself!

I'm on the waiting list. I wanna support a new innovator in the business.
Help the man out.

Remember when HPMX Gen 1 carbs came out? Guess who did the R&D?
You guys did. Then EMPI improved the carbs based on customer feedback.
Hell I have a set of EMPI D-series door stops. Those are gen 1. And suck ass! Twisted Evil

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

The material is a trade secret... OK, 'nuff said. The balance... well, it's so light it doesn't matter to me and I'm sure it's pretty spot on anyway. It looks like a quality unit.

I'm just mainly curious about the sound. I think it would be a good idea for Andrig to post a video or recording that shows that.

Some may love the noise. Many could give a damn about noise they just wanna go fast Cool Maybe it's not noticable, but perhaps it is very loud and sounds like a helicopter. For example, I don't like the sound of loud straight cut gears personally, but some people want that sound. I for one would just be interested to hear it on an engine. It isn't a deal breaker, just a suggestion out of interest. I'm sure a video of an engine with this fan running will pop up soon enough anyhow.

I'm keeping it in mind for my next top end overhaul scheduled for next year.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/100063442975216/videos/61...ted_videos

At 27:25 Andrig's runs the fan prototype, in a 36 HP DS fan shroud.
IMO the electric motor makes more noise that the fan.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: