Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am looking for a set of 914 Fuchs (4 lug) for my '70 Squareback (Type 3). I have seen a number of photos from sellers and it is hard to understand what the stock finish is. I am referring to the all aluminum version that appears to be matte with shiny raised surface.
Are the raised 'spokes' polished? and the rest is raw/cast aluminum? Is any part anodized or painted?
Second question: how should you go about restoring them? Is it as simple as sand blasting them clean and then rebuffing the top section?

Many thanks!

Last edited by knewknew on Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

They are anodized.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't forget the correct bolts. Many use the incorrect watercooled lug bolts that have a tapper. The correct have a ball seat like these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about the lugs!

Still curious about the finish. Is the top surface polished after being anodized? It’s not very apparent in your photo, but I have seen some that seem to have two different sheens.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

knewknew wrote:
Thanks for the tip about the lugs!

Still curious about the finish. Is the top surface polished after being anodized? It’s not very apparent in your photo, but I have seen some that seem to have two different sheens.

Most likely the whole surface is first polished, the top areas are then masked with a peel-able mask...then the whole rim is pre-etched (which you have to do with anodizing)....then anodized.

Yes...anodizing "can" be polished away....but anodizing is harder than the aluminum its on.

If I had to do a bunch or these....I would put the rims in a vibratory polisher and walk away for a day. Then a simple spray stencil to cover the polished areas you want to keep and just spritz on the peel-able mask.

A few minutes in the sodium hydroxide pre-etch...then into the anodizing tank. A couple minutes to peel the mask and you are done.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes...anodizing "can" be polished away....but anodizing is harder than the aluminum its on.

Thanks Ray, that makes better sense to me now!

When researching ball lugs, I saw a video that explained they come in 3 different radius sizes: #12 #13 and #14

However, most retailers list only the thread diameter and pitch.

Is it general knowledge that all VW/Porsche ball sockets are the same size? Vintage and modern? I'd hate to get the wrong type and booger it up.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

Sand blasting is too harsh. Why not just get them totally polished? The can be buffed to look like chrome. I've done some by hand but takes 6 hrs per wheel - wet sanding and buffing with jewelers rouge.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

send to al reed in california for him to re anodize He does marvelous work
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Fuchs Rims - Original Finish? How to restore? Reply with quote

Google:
restoring Porsche Fuchs wheels
1968-1989
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: