Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

I have given up trying to use my Grant wheel because the hub adapter just honks the horn continuously. Sent one back and the new one does the same thing. Not sure why.

I’m looking for this type of three or four-spoke wheel, but most importantly, a brand whose adapter is proven to fit with no issues.

Any brand and model recommendations? Hope to stay under $300 for everything.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Both JBugs and SoCal have Volante. Anyone have experience with it?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Get one of these. Look for photos in the gallery for more ideas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1803234

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Pekoe2053 wrote:
Both JBugs and SoCal have Volante. Anyone have experience with it?

I love the Volante that I installed in my '69. Fits and works perfectly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Nice! That looks like a Grant spacer. Does the hole pattern fit the wheel? Also, how do you secure your console to the floor?

Thanks!
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Pekoe2053 wrote:
Nice! That looks like a Grant spacer. Does the hole pattern fit the wheel? Also, how do you secure your console to the floor?

Thanks!

The Volante adapter, which I used, leaves a gap in the column of approx 0.25".
There is another thread in the forums detailing that issue, search "Volante".
The Volante and SoCal people had no solution, although it was a known issue.
The gap does not affect operation, just aesthetics. My solution was to buy a Grant adapter kit just to get the rubber sleeve, which solved the gap problem to my satisfaction. The steering wheel itself is VERY nice, feels great and looks perfect in my opinion. The color is a perfect match to my SCAT ProCar seats.

The console is attached to the carpet with industrial velcro strips from Amazon. It doesn't budge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Good to know about the gap. I already have the Grant rubber spacer so I’ll decide if I need it.
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Post a pic when you get it done!
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

kd69bug wrote:
Post a pic when you get it done!

Ugh. What was supposed to be a five minute job has turned into me trying two brands of steering wheels and adapters and neither working! The Volante hub adapter slides onto the spline too tightly and does not go all the way on the column so that the copper ring on the back of the adapter touches the copper contact. The gap to be closed is about a half an inch or more. I do not want to use a rubber mallet to put it on because I’ll never get it off if it doesn’t work. Any suggestions?

74Shovel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

If you haven't done it already, try using a fine wire brush to clean the shaft and spline. Check for burrs which might be causing the steering wheel to hang up, then add a little never-seize paste to the shaft. Steering wheels are meant to fit tight on the shaft, so it doesn't take much to gum up the works.

'78 Super Convertible
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

I didn't have much luck contacting Volante, they were aware of the problem with my '69 but said they had no fix until possibly the next re-design. However, the gap on my '69 was nowhere near what you are dealing with. See what they have to say and show them the pic. That just cannot be the correct adapter. Mine slid on easily, just left a small gap, works fine.
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

I have been slowly closing the gap by cleaning splines with a wire brush, using some grease, pushing it on, wiggling it off, and repeating. I have it close enough to just make contact with the raised brass tab (for the horn?). The gap between the adapter and column is about half an inch.

Tomorrow I’ll put on the wheel and test to see if the horn works the way it is supposed to. If it does, I have to make the decision to tighten it down with the big nut. Once I do that, I won’t be able to get the adapter off without a puller or something drastic.

I ordered the Grant adapter for my Grant wheel just in case. It honks the horn constantly when the hub makes contact with the horn tab, so I’d have to put the horn on a button under the dash.

What would you do?
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the pic. It doesn't look like it can go any farther, without seeing the adapter itself first. Is all of the threaded end exposed for the nut?
I'm not sure on a '77 how the horn is wired, nor how the turn signals cancel,
my '69 is different. I tried a Grant before going with Volante. The Grant adapter did not leave a gap, but the horn button was crap, and kept popping off. Other than having to cover the gap, the Volante is great.

On this guy's video it shows the horn/signals similar to yours I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPp65S9BMK4
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Success! Thanks for the idea of using the Grant surround to cover the gap which ended up being .25” - exactly what you said. I already had it from my last car so no extra money.

Thanks to all who provided guidance for what should have been an easy job - always, right?

kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

That looks great!
Turn signals, horn all OK?
Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

kd69bug wrote:
That looks great!
Turn signals, horn all OK?

Yes, horn and turn signal canceling both work perfectly! I even took it for a test drive, but who knows? I may be at a gas station someday and the horn will start honking continuously 😂. At least I know how to disconnect it quickly.

Thanks again!
muggermackaye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

I cant seem to find the grant adapter with the rubber boot. Can you post a source or part number... or both?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

Pekoe2053 wrote:
Success!

Thanks to all who provided guidance for what should have been an easy job - always, right?

That steering wheel looks so good, like the car is going 60 mph while standing still! Smile

For your future reference and for others, the steering wheel which APPLEGREEN VW posted before is an original one from a Generation 1 VW Scirocco. VW changed the steering column/steering wheel splines on Beetles with the '73 model year to match those on the upcoming Rabbit and Scirocco. The Rabbit and Scirocco started as 1975 model years. His pictured wheel is a direct replacement and fitment for your Super- no modifications needed- and the horn works correctly if the wheel's contacts have not been mangled. If you look for the aftermarket steering wheel adapter type for a '77 Beetle, it should be the same part number as for a 1st-gen Rabbit and Scirocco.

The gap you encountered-

Over 20 years ago I bought a 1983 Vanagon. It handled really well for a big box but its large, stock steering wheel was bothering me. I tried to fit that same Scirocco steering wheel, and it "almost" fit. The splines matched, but the 'rocco wheel hub had a slightly smaller-diameter taper compared to the Vanagon's column. That also caused an approx. 1/4" gap. What I did was to use a cone-shaped carbide bit burr on a drill to carefully and evenly enlarge the taper on the steering wheel hub until I could push it down further. After the fitment, on the first drive I realized the smaller diameter of the Scirocco wheel required considerably more steering effort while parking than the approx. 2-3" larger Vanagon wheel. Simple matter of reduced leverage.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Get one of these. Look for photos in the gallery for more ideas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1803234

Those Scirocco wheels are awesome. I tend to use take off wheels like Porsche or other VW because as nice as they look, aftermarket wheels(like Momo) don't have the diameter required for decent leverage. Certainly they look great and can be used but I'm getting too old to want to wrestle with the steering wheel. That said, I don't know what diameters you can get those Grant wheels in. Almost all factory wheels come in about 15 inch diameter. I had an awesome wheel from a early 90s Nissan 300zx (last year before airbags...'91 I think) I was able to adapt using a Grant adapter. I gave it to my son after I got a Porsche 944 wheel.

H20SB
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels for ‘77 Convertible Reply with quote

muggermackaye wrote:
I cant seem to find the grant adapter with the rubber boot. Can you post a source or part number... or both?

Guessing it is this part?

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/258/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: