Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I went to E85, started a new thread since it should be informative to those who dare to try it.

I am sure some people stopped reading this thread long ago for one reason or another.

Please reply to it if you have any info, I will post everything I Learn so we can get these air cooled cars running cooler in the hot summers...
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

This just popped up in my recommended You Tube vids.

Link

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

That video needed to end with a burn off!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Prado this Sunday, we will be meeting at Euclid and Shaffer in chino at the Stater Bros 6am.

Taking the car to the EMPI open house 6/19, they are doing a dyno challenge and I got on the list for N/A cars.

For me I just want to see how it does on the E85, I'm sure there will be 15 to 1 drag cars there that will out power me.

I pulled my gas tank to put the larger 14 gallon one in. Already added the -8 outlet, this time I welded one on instead of the adapter one. Also One line under the tank was not Teflon so changing that one.

The German rebuilt Steering box was a POS, So I went back to the TRW I started with, way better. Also the steering dampener went bad and leaked oil all over the front of the pan. Nothing lasts like it use too.

Last edited by King_vw61 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

See you at Prado, maybe at the Empi open house as well!
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I’ll be at both.

I'll be the guy getting arrested for replacing your tube bumpers with T-Bars and your front tires with smart car tires.. Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

the trw I bought new 16 years ago that would barley turn was adjusted so tight on the pinion bearings thats why it would not turn by hand.... a good adjustement & gooder lube is a good idea on all this stuff we get.new,used,old rebuilt etc. no mater what it is it will need work before installing if you wish it to last.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

See you guys at Prado. Scorchin weather Shocked
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Prado was a Huge turnout. as always.

My car was having issues with float level Friday and I thought I fixed it. Well I did i just forgot to tighten the screw that the float hinges on for the 1-2 side. came out and sprayed E85 all over the hot exhaust. no fire, E85 ignites at 695 and gas at 495, I'm lucky it was on the E85. Walked back and found the screw in the road. Fixed the car and all was good. took 2 times to get the screw in the carb right, long day,, whatever.

Going to Berg in the am to get the Float tool they sell and going to set them right then safety wire the screws in.

Dyno at Empi on Saturday, If the rest of the N/A cars take their belt off I will do the same. This will be the first time dyno'd on E85. Just one quick pull to see how it is doing on it. Should be good.

I did switch out my old Mallory unilite for a MSD distributor, hoping the Rotor is more friendly to 2.2 amps of power.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQEuRdEBUdx/
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Went to Empi today, lots of cool cars and tons of people, with no masks,,, good to see.

Car made 208.8 at 6200rpm way rich. Didnt have time to mess with the main jets and I knew it was a safe tune. Belt off no screens but still thru the muffler.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUpzluJNWW/

I had
180 airs
210 mains
F2's
5.0 boosters
46 vents
on Race E85.

you can see it was super rich from the video. Which means I have lots of room for better #'s

The floats were High for the last month. I read on here time and time again to make sure they are good. Well I am here to say check them... I spent 500 miles of tuning and it has been off due to fuel going into the carbs from hi float levels.

The driving of this car feels amazing now. Still a little rich on the idle circuit but smooth and fun to drive. The Berg tool works great for setting the float level.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Im glad your having fun. just a few more things to work out and....you will be bored again....dam the luck.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

got it closer on the WOT.

The Aux vents or boosters from a 4.5 to a 5 is letting more fuel in so I can jet smaller. Gary Berg told me this would happen.

I have this in the car now and am right at 12.5 at 7000 rpm in 3rd gear.

On E85

200 mains
200 airs
46 vents
F2's with 10 thou shaved off
5.0 Aux vents
2.9 fuel pressure
77 idles with 110 holders
15 degree at 1100 Idle 30 degree total
floats set at 5mm
300 needle seats

I will do a few more long pulls and see if the AFR stays under 12.5, if not I will go to a 205 main. All of this is with the screens on. The dyno run was screens off and 210's were way fat.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just want to say thank you to Robert for taking his time to explain what he has gone through in this amazing adventure.
Just picked up my dream car 2-3 weeks ago after 30 years in the Vee dub movement, a 62 DKP like beetle.
I have some stumble up to 3500 rpm but after reading this thread for about a week now, I know what kind of homeworks to do, or have somewhat an idea.

Thank you again, you certainly help people like me with limited knowledge understand how to take care of their beast on the road.

I am eager to follow your E85 adventure in the other thread.

Cheers from Montreal!

Bruce
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Thanks, remember the Idle air holders are great to fix that issue. 100's or 110's seem to do the trick if it's close. F2 tubes are rich lower also. That's my go to tube.

Car acted like it ran out of fuel on the highway today( just left house for a short drive). didn't die but would not drive(rev up). made it off the highway and sat for a sec. then it was fine. looked at the data and all looked fine. I did hit the switch on the MSD to record the timing and rpm. It happened as soon as I hit the switch. I might have a setting on the MSD power grid wrong...

Also the aeromotive pump is way louder on the E85. Not sure if it is starting to fail. I did order a new one for a spare. It is E85 friendly.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

do you need to add some lube to the fuel running e85? if so be sure to pick a smell that your not going to get tired of fast....some of them can really get to you when you smell them a lot.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I don't think so, the 15% gas is enough to keep everything lubed. If I need to its news to me...

Figured out my issue with the car not revving over 1200 rpm.on rare occasions.

Setting on the powergrid..... I have it set to record when I get on the 2 step then stop when engine goes under 800 rpm. easy enough.. Here is the problem. The grid has safety features that are there if you need them or not.

When I hit the switch to record the grid thinks i'm making a pass. It has a time for the run in case your throttle sticks. Mine is set at 12 sec, that is the longest it will go. Then you pick the RPM you want it to limit after 12 sec. I had it at 1200.

So when I hit the switch to do a burnout 12 seconds later the car would not rev over 1200, Looking back it has done this several times. I always thought it was the Rotor or low fuel. Once turned off and started it re sets the timer until I hit the 2 step again.

It is now set at 7000 rpm. I had several times leaving Daves shop that I came back due to the car doing this. He always asked what I broke?? Such a relief to figure this out.

On a side note I have a spare fuel pump on the way since I thought it was a fuel issue.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Looking to order new heads for the 3057cc build. looking for opinions. It will be a 105. bore. street driven on E85. 12.5 to 1. big roller cam.

Shawn says he would like a 54 intake and a 39 exhaust.

Jpm's? Im looking at under 5k with manifolds.

This engine will be N/A like mine now, I am kicking around the idea to make the current one turbo once the new one is done.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
3057cc
Cool Twisted Evil
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

if you turbo the currant motor ,, you won't need the 3057cc Laughing ,,just sayin Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

eye wood go with the cb dominator heads...if I had the $$ to do so. or the ones made south of the border that have the splayed valves....I think thats the mexie bug thats got them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 76 of 84

Jump to: