Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake line diagram?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

No I think that T is the T I am currently struggling with...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

The item labeled "boost" is the proportioning valve

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

I also noticed that going to the front calipers on the diagram it is a rubber hose right to the caliper, whereas on my van the rubber hose goes to a very very short little end piece of metal pipe... are some people now bypassing this little end-piece of metal pipe, or is it just omitted from this diagram because it's so short?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

It's unlikely they're leaving those short sections out on the stock brakes. It was just an oversight on behalf of the person who made the diagram. I might be mis-remembering, but I'm pretty sure both types of brakes found on the T3 use those short tubing sections right at the front calipers.

y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line diagram Reply with quote

mikepomerleau wrote:

I went under the van and checked my lines... everything seems "as per diagram" except I didn't notice any "UNION" near the rear for the rear line, is this UNION necessary for anything?

thanks
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

It's probably there just to break up a very long run of tubing, though if you can find 100" lengths, I'm not sure there would be any issues with omitting the union adapter.

y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It's probably there just to break up a very long run of tubing, though if you can find 100" lengths, I'm not sure there would be any issues with omitting the union adapter.

Yeah, it's not there... I can get 10meter lengths so it's not problem.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

Did anyone ever save the diagram as the link is now dead?

If you have it can you please post it?

Thanks,
Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Thanks,
Tim

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Thanks,
Tim

Thank You!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

Here is that original diagram, but I am skeptical regarding the accuracy of the lengths listed --- can anyone confirm the TRUE LENGTHS.

At the beginning of this thread 2 separate posters posted very different LENGTHS. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

This is what was posted:
60 inches (X3) about 10$ each (pre-flared with connectors)
40 inches (x1) about 7$
30 inches (x2) about 7$
20 inches (x2) about 6$
12 inches (x2) at about 5$

- - -
1. Master cylinder to front tee 1850mm (72.8 inches)
2. Master cylinder to rear brake pressure reducer 2130mm (83.8 inches)
3. Front tee to left brake hose 140mm (5.5 inches)
4. Left front brake hose to left front caliper 350mm (13.8inches)
5. Front tee to right front brake hose 950mm (37.4 inches)
6. Right front brake hose to right front caliper 350mm(13.8inches)
7. Brake pressure reducer to rear tee 2900mm (114.2inches)
8. Rear tee to left rear brake hose 623mm (24.5inches)
9.Rear tee to right rear brake hose 285mm (11.2 inches)
10.Left rear brake hose to left rear wheel cylinder 550mm (21.6 inches)
11.Right rear brake hose to right rear wheel cyl. 550mm (21.6 inches)

1980 thru 85 shows;
3. Front tee to LF hose 500mm
4. LF hose to caliper 120mm, while RF shows as 1100mm! (wrong, both are identical @120mm!)

Which measurements are the correct ones.... I will go out and measure some on my own van but until then please respond, anyone who KNOWS off hand, thanks.
Ed

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

I dunno if the 2wd are different, but for the Syncro I added 4" of length to each front hard line coming off the junction T. This way when connection to the rubber hose is unbolted from the chassis, there is enough space to move it away from the chassis and space for wrenches.

I ordered one 25' roll of line and that was enough to do the van. However I did not replace the booster to the front junction as that line was in great shape. If you're making lines, I wouldn't be cutting both sides at once. Build it like plumbing, in one direction only!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I dunno if the 2wd are different, but for the Syncro I added 4" of length to each front hard line coming off the junction T. This way when connection to the rubber hose is unbolted from the chassis, there is enough space to move it away from the chassis and space for wrenches.

I ordered one 25' roll of line and that was enough to do the van. However I did not replace the booster to the front junction as that line was in great shape. If you're making lines, I wouldn't be cutting both sides at once. Build it like plumbing, in one direction only!

Previously I did pretty well with having pieces (both ends cut) made up for me cheaply at the local garage.... BUT I could remove from my van the exact (rusted) piece that needed replacing - so this worked fine.

But I am in Europe now, and planning to replace the brake lines on my other van which is in Canada. I was hoping to get the correct measurements then have the pieces made here in Czech, then bring them to Canada >>> cheaper and easier that way (the garage makes them fast and insanely cheap).

But from what you say it sounds like that might not work so well??? Are not all vans basically laid out the same?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

The rigid brake pipe full sets are not expensive.
Example 80-83.

https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/transporter-t25...83-n310410
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The rigid brake pipe full sets are not expensive.
Example 80-83.

https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/transporter-t25...83-n310410

Thanks Mark.
But the problem is this is for my Vancouver van, and I don't think it is cheap to get the rigid pipe set there.... locally, or online after shipping and Duty.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

I was suggesting you could buy an affordable complete set in Europe to bring with you.
As opposed to having lines made to bring with you.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I was suggesting you could buy an affordable complete set in Europe to bring with you.
As opposed to having lines made to bring with you.

Mark

aha! ....might even be cheaper than that to have them made locally. But that link you sent is very reasonable - thanks!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

I have decided to buy a coil of hard line --- and a flaring tool --- and all the fittings.... and bring them with me to Canada.

My parts guy says that a 10meter coil of COPPER pipe costs about $20USD. That seems a lot cheaper than Vancouver NAPA prices.

From my calculations it seems to me that to replace all BRAKE and CLUTCH lines, for one van, it will require just under 15 meters. Does this sound correct?

Can anyone tell me the size/guage/type of hard line to buy. He recommended COPPER (metal is available) - and said that in Europe the use of COPPER is prohibited. [in B.C. there are no vehicle technical controls so nobody would notice] I suppose COPPER is much more resistant to rust.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
I have decided to buy a coil of hard line --- and a flaring tool --- and all the fittings.... and bring them with me to Canada.

My parts guy says that a 10meter coil of COPPER pipe costs about $20USD. That seems a lot cheaper than Vancouver NAPA prices.

From my calculations it seems to me that to replace all BRAKE and CLUTCH lines, for one van, it will require just under 15 meters. Does this sound correct?

Can anyone tell me the size/guage/type of hard line to buy. He recommended COPPER (metal is available) - and said that in Europe the use of COPPER is prohibited. [in B.C. there are no vehicle technical controls so nobody would notice] I suppose COPPER is much more resistant to rust.

just to be correct, because the difference is life or death, the stuff you want is Copper-Nickel, or cunifer. plain COPPER e.g. refrigeration/water line is absolutely the wrong thing to use as it can rupture under brake pressure.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: brake line diagram? Reply with quote

aha.... I'll confirm this, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: