Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Friedpotatoes wrote:
Alright, I have been scanning this post trying to catch up over the 20 something pages. The tires on my 57 single cab have seen better days as they just hit 11 years on the truck. Currently they are off brand white wall P205/70/15, I was noticing there is not much of a market for those from my local tire shop so I have my eye on the 205/75/15 size thats mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I guess to get to the point does that size work with the other fender lips?

I have always put Hankook on my other cars and even more recently my Oval window bug, So I have my eye on the link below.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/hankook-optimo-h724/p/10983

I have never had a problem fitting 205-75-15 tires to a bus, only problem is with the way they feel on a bus.

P rated tires generally have too soft of a sidewall. I would recommend staying away from them. I run 195R15 LT rated tires. They feel great, and they fit. I have run a couple brands recently, and they both felt the same. The currently available ones that I like are Achilles LTR-80.

Yep. I have not run the Achilles, but they are a damn sight better than a passenger car tire.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
German Krew wrote:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but BFG makes a badass LT All Terrain tire.

Last I checked it is NLA in a 205. I just saw some at the local tire shop in 215/75R15, but they might be a little too big without some modifications. Not sure.

215/75R15 fits on all stock height buses, but on 62-earlier buses with big-nut brakes in the back (wider), you have to deflate the tire to get them installed.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

sled wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
German Krew wrote:

Last I checked it is NLA in a 205. I just saw some at the local tire shop in 215/75R15, but they might be a little too big without some modifications. Not sure.

215/75R15 fits on all stock height buses, but on 62-earlier buses with big-nut brakes in the back (wider), you have to deflate the tire to get them installed.

Do they clear the front dogleg on an early bus?
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

My truck is not drivable yet, but I like the look of these 195/70R15's that I was worried might be too tight on my small nut/big brake rear end. This clearance is at full droop in the back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Keep in mind, these are ALL quite a bit bigger section (width) than the stock which was 6.40-15 6.40 x 25.4= 163.56mm.
I swear, when I first got into bay window buses back in the 80's and came to realize the correct tires for them were 185R-14 REINFORCED, there was a skinny reinforced 15 as well and I think it was 175R-15 Reinforced. At that time (1982-85) I figured that was Michelin/ Kleber/ Conti's tire for a splitty bus.
I gotta pull the trigger soon for my 1956 and these fat tires wont go on the rear without dropping the shock.
I'm pretty sure I saw 185R's someplace.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Keep in mind, these are ALL quite a bit bigger section (width) than the stock which was 6.40-15 6.40 x 25.4= 163.56mm.
I'm pretty sure I saw 185R's someplace.
Al

185/15s are available from Vredestein, Riken, Michelin, etc. However, most are H or V rated passenger car tire, for Jag e-types and such. None of these are cheap.
Riken makes it as a C rated tire. just can't find any in stock.

I think they all would be fine for regular driving, and they certainly are the perfect size, not super wide, but the proper diameter.

Coker makes a redline tire. looks cool.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
My truck is not drivable yet, but I like the look of these 195/70R15's that I was worried might be too tight on my small nut/big brake rear end. This clearance is at full droop in the back.

Continental Contact C rated 195/70/15? I have these on a bus. They are good tires but I dont like how square edged the tread is, where it transitions to the sidewall, its noticeable in the handling. I had 195R15 Nexens on the same bus and preferred them. The tread pattern is nice though for a camper etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

[quote="buseric"]
bobrk wrote:

Continental Contact C rated 195/70/15? I have these on a bus. They are good tires but I dont like how square edged the tread is, where it transitions to the sidewall, its noticeable in the handling. I had 195R15 Nexens on the same bus and preferred them. The tread pattern is nice though for a camper etc.

I agree, swing axle does a lot of camber changing. Rounded tread might make more gradual breakaway transitions.
Not a lot of tire technology dedicated to 70 year old suspension systems.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

Continental VancoFourSeason. It seemed like the closest thing to what I needed at America's Tire. We'll see how they go. I had 165R15 Pirelli P3's on there before and that was completely the wrong answer.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
buseric wrote:

Continental VancoFourSeason. It seemed like the closest thing to what I needed at America's Tire. We'll see how they go. I had 165R15 Pirelli P3's on there before and that was completely the wrong answer.

Yeah thats them. I was too lazy to go out to the shop and check the name. Way better than 165 bug tires! I also had those on the same bus and anything is better than 165s.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
bobrk wrote:
buseric wrote:

Yeah thats them. I was too lazy to go out to the shop and check the name. Way better than 165 bug tires! I also had those on the same bus and anything is better than 165s.
Heh, I'm lazy and take pictures of everything now.

They don't look super cool, but the proof will be in the driving.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

[quote="Alan Brase"]
buseric wrote:
bobrk wrote:

I agree, swing axle does a lot of camber changing. Rounded tread might make more gradual breakaway transitions.
Not a lot of tire technology dedicated to 70 year old suspension systems.

It makes a difference when you hit a bump mid-corner.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
sled wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
German Krew wrote:

Do they clear the front dogleg on an early bus?

yes they do Very Happy
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

IM buying some vancos this week, any update on the Driving feel of these tires?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

ozark23 wrote:
IM buying some vancos this week, any update on the Driving feel of these tires?

I wish I could tell you, but my truck is still not drivable. You're right about how not cool they look, though lol. I was shooting for load capacity, ease of purchase and price. Hopefully I will get it running this summer.

MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I got tired of being blown all over the road on my old Pirelli P rated tires. I found the Yokohama Geolandar 205/70R15 light truck tires. Much more stable on the road. They are still available, even Walmart has them

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yokohama-Geolandar-AT-G015-205-70R15-96H/311669209

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
I got tired of being blown all over the road on my old Pirelli P rated tires. I found the Yokohama Geolandar 205/70R15 light truck tires. Much more stable on the road. They are still available, even Walmart has them

They do look good, but unless I'm mistaken, they aren't L/T tires with reinforced sidewalls? 96 load rating should be fine, but without the sidewall reinforcement, you could still get wandering.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Rhodrich wrote:

They do look good, but unless I'm mistaken, they aren't L/T tires with reinforced sidewalls? 96 load rating should be fine, but without the sidewall reinforcement, you could still get wandering.

I may have confused being classified as a Light Truck/SUV tire with being rated LT. Sucked in by marketing (again). Thanks for pointing that out. On the up side, they are much more stable than what I had.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Rhodrich wrote:
MrWhoopee wrote:

Thanks for posting that - I was looking at the specs and couldn't figure the sidewall rating (6-ply or ?) and was about to ask

Another one came up when you open that link too:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yokohama-Geolandar-A-T-G015-All-Terrain-Tire-205-70R15-96H/844258485
Is it different?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
Just took off the thunderer ranger r101 tires 195r15c 8 ply off the front of my 64 bus that had pressure at 30 and it was like white knuckle driving. put on my other prospector suv tires 205 75 15 load 1609. I think its much better.
https://simpletire.com/brands/thunderer-tires/rang...Zip=49501. I think the rangers are just too heavy a tire for a split bus. At pressures above 30 it seems not all the tread even contacts the road. Was afraid to run them with less than 30. Havnt run across anyone else using them and or pressures under 30 just to get them to be stable...........68 front end with new ball joints, center pin, drag link, tie rods ok, steering box rebuilt.

I'm running the T-Rangers on my 1966 Sundial. 30 psi front 34 psi rear, Bilstein
shock and Addco swaybars fron and rear. These tires are white knuckle driving, especialy at freeway speeds. (65 mph).

I'm thinking this tire is too heavy for the bus. The drive feels "skatey", as if the tire is not in full contact with the road. I had a set of Hercules tires in a slightly different size and the drive tracked straight, didn't get blown around and handled well. Should have kept them.

I'm now looking at the Grabber ATX tire. Same height, in the 1600 lb range rather than the T-Ranger on the 2000 lb range. Now I'm thinking the bus doesn't weigh enough to make a good connection, tire to road.

What's the latest opinion on the Grabbers? 205-75-15
BTW- I'll have a set of T-Rangers with about 200 miles on them for sale soon.
$200 p/u in San Diego.

dgsaz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 31

Jump to: