Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

How do you attach the separate heat crossover tubes for the manifold carb heat on this manofold? I am not sure if the two materials are weldable or could I simply use an exhaust sealant? They are a fairly tight friction fit, but not enough to seal.

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

It pretty much needs to be welded. You didn't mention what material your trying to attach to the SS header.

I would find a SS tube and weld it where needed. Mild steel can be welded to stainless using a normal mig setup, but it does not look very good and is prone to cracking. It's a pretty terrible option.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

I think he's referring to those aftermarket single carb manifolds where the heat riser tubes come loose in the box and shove into the lower casting, no welding that. Copper high temp RTV would work fine there.

Before you get too far along look through the hole where the tubes go into, some aren't drill all the way through.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

Post a pic
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

As busdaddy says, I am dealing with the single intake manifold, not a header. See here:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Super-Stock-Intake-Ma...nifold.htm

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

The center section of that is aluminum. The pre heat tubes are steel, and yes they are a sloppy fit
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

Yep neither one is stainless steel. You have steel tubes and they shove into a cast aluminum center section. Use your favorite flavor of high temp sealant.

Also apply the sealer while its being fitted. Get everything bolted up before the sealer cures because I'm pretty sure that will make it easier to line up all the flanges and such.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

Get everything fitted/clean and use high temp JB Weld (Extreme Heat).

https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-extremeheat

There are other epoxy type materials, but they are pricey...made by Loctite
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that tells me what I need to know. I was hoping to be able to weld or something similar but as I feared the materials don't allow it.

Thanks!

Chris
zoltron55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting 1 of those intakes let us know if you notice a difference
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching manifold heat tubes to a CB SS single intake manifold Reply with quote

Make sure to test fit everything first before using any sealant. The tubes are pretty long to accommodate wider engines, and may need to be cut down to fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: