Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can’t find my oil pressure sensor (found it)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor (found it) Reply with quote

Hopefully I’m just being dense, but it looks like my engine doesn’t have an oil pressure sensor? Engine is a VW of Canada remanufactured 1.9L in a new to me ‘84 GL. From the pics I’ve found online, it looks like it ought to be visible next to the oil filter in this pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question Question Question

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=

Last edited by TomInAlaska on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

On 1.9L engines the oil pressure switch is kind of between the pushrod tubes on the left side of the engine block.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

You will need to remove the shield protecting the tubes (assuming you still have one installed). May need to use some penetrant and care if the fasteners have not been undone in a long time.

The sensor has a brown wire connected to it.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

View of my 1.9 before working on the connector to that pressure switch, with push rod tube shields removed.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

That would explain it! I'll see if I can get the pushrod tube cover off without wringing any bolts off and get it hooked back up tomorrow. Thanks!

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

perhaps you are different Very Happy on your side of the pond but there are (usually) two pressure switches fitted as the one between the push-rods operates at a lower pressure and when it operates and engine is above a certain rpm then the outcome is pretty certain.
VW fitted a second pressure switch in the location as described by OP.
It is difficult to spot but is tucked away where engine bearer 'kinks' around the engine centre-line. This switch operates the 'buzzer of doom' when engine rpm is higher and is a higher pressure switch naturally. This is designed to give owner some protection if the fault is not 'terminal'.

I'm pretty sure there are better explanations already covered on this subject-but good luck finding the switch it is well tucked away. Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

randolph57 wrote:
perhaps you are different Very Happy on your side of the pond but there are (usually) two pressure switches fitted as the one between the push-rods operates at a lower pressure and when it operates and engine is above a certain rpm then the outcome is pretty certain.

For US spec vehicles the 1.9L engines used on 83 1/2 through 85 models had one switch located between the pushrod tube and the second switch near the water pump began with the 2.1L 1986 models.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

So I found the sensor right where its supposed to be, and there is a brown wire plugged into it, but its melted in two on the exhaust pipe and I can't find the other half. Rolling Eyes

There is a Blue/Blk (or maybe Green/Blk) unplugged wire that goes into the harness alongside the wire for the coolant sensor. According to the wiring diagram, the oil sensor wire should be Blue/blk, so, I'm thinking I just connect the melted wire to this Blue/Blk wire?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor Reply with quote

Blue/black would be the correct color. Try giving it a tap to ground and seeing if the oil warning light comes on.

FWIW, I replaced the wire to my oil pressure switch with some high temperature wire I got from an appliance repair shop.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor (found it) Reply with quote

I connected the sensor to the blue/blk wire and I got one more light in the dash. Progress!

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can’t find my oil pressure sensor (found it) Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
I connected the sensor to the blue/blk wire and I got one more light in the dash. Progress!

Applause Applause Dancing Dancing
I felt the same way when I fixed the Parking Brake/E- Brake warninglight over to the left with a new bulb.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: