Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

Although i replaced the shift bushing ,and the coupler rubber pieces (made in Germany) greased everything up good after two weeks the annoying rattle came back ,my 1/4 window lock mechanism is loose and also rattles , the back side of my steering wheel plastic cover mounting points broke off s Shocked o that rattles as well. Cool
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

Shifter bushing; replaced, didn't last 2 weeks before the rattle returned.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

My rattle comes from the back of the convertible top. It has a hook like lock that holds the top down on either side. On the drivers side it will stay hooked for the first 5 minutes of a drive and then you hit a bump and it comes loose. The noise it makes is like 2 squirrels screaming at each other. I have tried lubing things up and bending the hook to latch better, still no luck. I am finally going to buy a new hook/latch and hopefully be done with this. I feel your pain, who knew 2 pieces of metal rubbing could make such a racket.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

My shifter rattle was SO annoying. I spoke with a guy who worked at a dealership years ago. He said it could be worn "hockey stick" bushings in the nose cone, or just certain cars. He said the fix was to install a spring under the shift rod just in front and under the coupler. My car did this and I didn't feel like dropping the trans so I tried it...it works GREAT! Haven't had one rattle since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

Driver's side window, rattles in the channel when all the way down. Tightened every nut and bolt I can, no way to fix it. If I raise it about 2 inches rattling stops.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

I hear no rattles because of the engine noise. Wink
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
My shifter rattle was SO annoying. I spoke with a guy who worked at a dealership years ago. He said it could be worn "hockey stick" bushings in the nose cone, or just certain cars. He said the fix was to install a spring under the shift rod just in front and under the coupler. My car did this and I didn't feel like dropping the trans so I tried it...it works GREAT! Haven't had one rattle since.

How do you secure the spring? And what spring did you use?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

Turn the radio up louder
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

The first 5-6 houses down my street, in the 0600 hour, and the passenger rear rattles. I put new bump stops, wasn't that. I got under there with a mallet, hit everything I could find, nothing rattles. I hold the passenger door while driving, not that. Running boards are tight. Rear wheel is tight.

Put on an after-market 13" steering wheel. The horn didn't work before, so the cap in the center now rattles.

My main fix: rev the engine a little more, and turn up the stereo. . .
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

My passenger side seatbelt rattles annoyingly when not in use against that steel ledge the rear seat is on!
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

Most of mine come from window rattles, especially with the top down on my 71' vert. One of these days I will do a full door rebuild on each side, but I HATE working in the doors.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
I hear no rattles because of the engine noise. Wink

This! If I have rattles, I can't hear them! Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

I will admit that with the engine running in the 70, it is really hard to hear anything. It is so damn loud! But when I get to an empty stop sign and make a complete stop, I can hear the inside door release handle rod rattling against the steel door panel. DRIVES ME F’n CRAZY. But then I mash the pedal and forget all about it, till the next quiet intersection. Thankfully there is only one quiet intersection near me. So I avoid it so that I do not have to think about the door rod rattle!

Thanks for bringing that up! Ha ha ha!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

I’m also interested in the spring fix!
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

Hey Vanram and Airstream : in my "build" thread , on page 2 March 31, you'll see a spring I found on the tunnel floor under the shift coupler when I cleaned out all the loose rust -sb001 was kind enough to provide an exploded diagram of all the parts of that area and a short explanation , only a bit tricky to put it back in place on my Autostick and I came to beleive that it's purpose was to return the shifter to a centre position when in neutral but now that I think more about it , it keeps "tension" on the shift rod no matter what gear its in - now it makes more sense that it prevents the rattling ... that tab on the "floor" of the tunnel where the spring connects can't only be in the Autosticks ...

Roger
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

The buckles on my rear seat belts (stock) can make a surprising amount of rattle noise at times, although usually just have to shift them around a bit to get them to “shut up”. Probably that way since new, I figure — older cars could be a lot more noisy inside (even brand new), as compared to what we’re used to w/ newer cars nowadays.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...

Last edited by baldessariclan on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying rattles that drive you nuts, do share yours! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I will admit that with the engine running in the 70, it is really hard to hear anything. It is so damn loud! But when I get to an empty stop sign and make a complete stop, I can hear the inside door release handle rod rattling against the steel door panel. DRIVES ME F’n CRAZY. But then I mash the pedal and forget all about it, till the next quiet intersection. Thankfully there is only one quiet intersection near me. So I avoid it so that I do not have to think about the door rod rattle!

Thanks for bringing that up! Ha ha ha!

Thanks for my most likely diagnosis,lol. I hadn't gotten in there but thats what I was betting on!

[/quote]
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: