Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shortening stock pushrods
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

A while back I asked here if the stock pushrods could be shortened by machining a bit off and just driving the end in deeper. I got a lot of answers but nothing to really sink my teeth into. Mostly "buy this and buy that" and some "you need to know what you are doing" answers.

Well I just completed the learning curve and have an answer for future "do it your selfers" like me. The answer is yes.

I just trimmed off the amount I needed in my lathe, put the pushrod between two old lifters so as to not flatten the ends drove them home. My first attempt resulted in a bent pushrod, it takes a pretty good smack to get the tips to move! I then cut a piece of 1/2" tube to slip over the outside of the pushrods to stiffen them up and voila! No more bent ones!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The top tube is my stiffener sleeve, the next 3 are shortened and ready to drive the ends home and the last one is the finished pushrod.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

This is the way I understood how to shorten stock aluminum PR's.

Did you just machine off the amount that you needed to shorten them and drive the tips home?
Or did you remove the tips completely and reinstall them?

These are just questions for understanding the procedure. I don't have a lathe here.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Yes that was part of my original question. I should have stated that. No I did not remove the tips, just trimmed off what I needed to and drove them in further.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Heat the end a little , expands the alloy more than the steel end . It helps .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Yes it would, good idea!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Good going, oprn. Once I finally get some motivation to continue on my 1776 top-end redo, I'll be shortening the stock pushrods also. Using an adjustable PR I determined I need to shorten them 4 mm. I used a fine-blade hacksaw on an otherwise junk PR to cut through the end manually to test this method, which is shown in the "How to hotrod your VW engine" book. For the 8 PR on the 1776 engine, my plan is to use a thin abrasive cut-off wheel on my stronger Dremel, rest the tool on a wooden fixture, put the PR on another wooden block so that it is parallel to the fixture base and at right angle to the cut-off wheel, and rotate the PR by hand. Cut a few bands off the PR the thickness of the cut-off wheel to reach the 4 mm distance. Hack yes, but it should work. I don't have access to a lathe.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

You could probably press the tip in using the tail stock with a chunk of aluminum rod in the chuck.
Do it right after trimming so it will at least be a little warm.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Did a set recently for a 36hp guy using AA lifters: I prefer to remove the ends, drill for a less extreme interference fit, and reinstall. No reason for the ends to bulge from the press-fit.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

The ends on mine didn't bulge. Not sure why they would as that is the factory interference fit and the factory ones didn't bulge either.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The ends on mine didn't bulge. Not sure why they would as that is the factory interference fit and the factory ones didn't bulge either.

I mean the end of the aluminum where it mates to the steel end. You can see the nearside one in my pic. The diameter enlarges a few thousandths where the shaft presses in.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Would it be any more work to machine that amount off the tip? or half off both tips? Not trying to be that guy that says "your doing it wrong" just a question nothing else.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

Sure would, the tips are hardened steel.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
oprn wrote:

I mean the end of the aluminum where it mates to the steel end. You can see the nearside one in my pic. The diameter enlarges a few thousandths where the shaft presses in.

You are correct, I measured 1/2 thou bulge on both my end and the factory one. Good eye!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening stock pushrods Reply with quote

I have 3 summers of driving on the ones I shortened for my 1904. I don't have a lathe so I tapped around the pushrod with a ballpien hammer to relieve the press fit, pulled the ends out and used a tubing cutter to remove most of the material and a file to finish.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: