Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

lol,

I'm looking forward to a lot of money headed to me. Hey I have a friend and she wants the rims. I want to give her a fair price. No one on an idea on the value of the rims and the 67 engine? That engine will just sit is the problem...

0-60 in 20 seconds won't cut it.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

It’s your ride and you can do with it what you like.

But why be so concerned about whether the car is a correct 67 with correct deck lid and fenders when you’re going to destroy its originality by removing the original engine?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Your dash and engine look to be all original. Can't see the model#s on the carb or distributor but they appear to be the original Solex 30Pict-1 carb and 113-905-205K or 205L distributor. Check and confirm the part#s.
The air cleaner housing was also a '67 only type. Can't see if yours is correct as your pic does not show the entire housing. Does it look like this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check this site for the list of '67-only parts.
http://1967beetle.com/one-year-only/
The more of these original parts you have the more your Beetle will be worth. So don't sell or junk any of them as these one-year-only parts are sometimes very hard to find.

From your pics so far you seem to have found a nice "barn find".
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Well the decklid doesn't impair my driving.

I lived right out of the city and now the city moved into my area. An engine 0-60 in 20 seconds could be dangerously slow, that is not a joke. I would like to keep the engine but if its worth maybe 3k to someone with a 67 who needs one in good condition maybe a better home no? On the other side, I could keep the engine put it up somewhere safe but even garaged the humidly is so high here in Florida eventually the engine will rust.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

I understand that the acceleration is too slow but then a VW really doesn’t fit well on modern roads without all of the safety features of newer cars not to mention the sheer size of some of the behemoths that want to swat you like a fly! Regardless of the size if the engine.

Do what you like but if it were me I would be very nervous driving it on busy roads or highways. It’s a very old design with no crumple panels, very light, with lousy lights and iffy brakes and the inevitable 50 year old corrosion in unseen structural places.

Horses for courses. Enjoy your bug, drive it on quiet roads away from the busy traffic. Buy a cheap Volvo and spend your money on your VW weekend driver.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Sadly a lot of what you say are good points.

This brings into question should even be driving on busy roads and highways with electric cars that can go from 0-60 in 2 seconds becoming the norm? The safety argument can be made for so many classic cars where does it stop?

I do want to get on the highway occasionally with the top down and drive to the beach and course come home and wash the entire care and undercharge too lol.

That being said I might want to jump in the car and drive to a family members house on the weekend for a drive too. Same issue 75mph highway

Hopefully self driving cars all too soon become the norm for people surfing the internet on their cell phones while driving!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

Look I agree with you 100%. We just have to be realistic with what we expect from the car. I'll still drive mine, but will think twice where and when I will use it.

I think the occasional drive on busy roads is warranted, but again the more you do it, the more likely you are to get someone texting on their phone while you sit at a red light!

The sad fact is that cars of yesteryear are just terrible when it comes to safety.

I grew up and started to drive in the late '60's. Cars did not have collapsible steering columns, no dual circuit brakes, probably drums which were not well adjusted and tended to pull in one direction or the other, no ABS so locking the wheels in an emergency stop tended to be the norm, no retractable seat belts or no seat belts at all, steel dashboards with protrusions, heater/demisters that really did little else but fog up all the windows, seats that were held on by flimsy metal runners, designed for kiddy cars not automobiles, etc.

All I know that in my state in Australia the road death toll is now about one third of what it was in 1968 when my bug was born, despite the huge increase in car numbers, the sheer massive increase in size and weight of particularly 4x4 SUV's, higher speed freeways and distractions like electronic road signs and the scourge of mobile phones and social media demanding attention even if driving.

I can see the time when cars will all be autonomous drive, all driving at the same speed, with no need for traffic lights because cars will just be programmed to enter intersections by communicating with each other to avoid collision. You'll actually get there faster if this is done. Our classic cars will be the curiosities that probably have to be used on closed roads. That's if you can actually get fuel for it any more.

Not in our lifetimes? Maybe our children's. The aeroplane has gone from the Wright Brothers to basically flying itself in just over a century.The Internal Combustion Engine will cease to be the norm regardless of how many people (or countries) try to resist it. Governments will legislate for it.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed 67 beetle vert r fenders, deck lid & engine correct? Reply with quote

You make good points and my back ground is computer science and I have an understand the future coming eventually. (Hopefully) Now I work in real estate...Anyway

I often made the same argument most of my life about people who ride motorcycles, especially with no helmets.

Example at the office years ago an older friend pulled up with his motorcycle with no helmet on. Out of concern I said to him "It is too dangerous be on the road without helmets in its not even safe to be on road on a bike at all. In Florida the police don't even use turn signals!" All the similar reasons you named I warned him. He took a bit of offense and said something like "I'll rough anyone up if they hit my bike. Long story short I wondered how he was going to do that if he wasn't alive...

**Florida, the universal helmet law was ruled partly unconstitutional on December 8th, 1995.**

Now Florida isn't exactly the smart state in the nation and most know that. I feel like he must of felt similar to use in that moment though. I'm going to drive my car on the road that I'm legally allowed to.

If it was me on the bike I would have wore the helmet. I'll do as much as can to make the car safe and part of that is putting in an engine that make the car move to another position on chess board per say if I have to.

I been driving over 20 years and never been in accident, avoided many and saw people in my review mirror not lucky enough to claim the same. How I did it? Good breaks combined with traction control and acceleration. I was also planning on putting all cross drilled rotors around the car. Upgraded seats with a 4 point harness and most likely Recaro seats. This will not be a stock beetle.

Fast forward I rarely see motorcycles on the road anymore here. Most were Harleys here and the owners have grown old and left the hobby or some sadly passed away. I remember when the owner of the largest Harley dealerships named after him was killed in another state at a biking event. What happen? They changed the name of the dealerships... Anyway, I'm going to drive my car and do what I can to make it safe as I can. "I'll put the helmet on."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: