Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Awesome Ghia!! Glad we aren't in the same neighborhood since it looks as if you chose the same color as mine, or close to it. Though it would look cool having my late model convertible next to your early lowwwww low light!! Love it!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Always interested in engine specs. I see you have an FK7 and 51.5 carbs.
what heads do you have and what size venturies are you running?

I think getting the idle circuit right is one of the big challenges on IDA's
Do you yours have a 3rd progression hole?

60 idles seem a bit big, but every engine is different. Did you try 57's of 55 when in was unhappy?

I LOVE THE WHEELS Very Happy
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Awesome Ghia!! Glad we aren't in the same neighborhood since it looks as if you chose the same color as mine, or close to it. Though it would look cool having my late model convertible next to your early lowwwww low light!! Love it!
Jeff

Thanks, the main colour is Porsche Amethyst Pearl Metallic, roof is Porsche Basalt Black, and the wheels (& a tach face) Porsche Crayon.

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Always interested in engine specs. I see you have an FK7 and 51.5 carbs.
what heads do you have and what size venturies are you running?

I think getting the idle circuit right is one of the big challenges on IDA's
Do you yours have a 3rd progression hole?

60 idles seem a bit big, but every engine is different. Did you try 57's of 55 when in was unhappy?

I LOVE THE WHEELS Very Happy

the engine spec is a CB "builders choice" 2276cc, we changed cam to FK7 on recomendation from the builder to give me a torquey, responsive & very streetable drive. Heads are CB CNC 044, big beef IDA manifolds. I "downsized" the vents to 37, again to give me a super responsive package. Might have gone too far downsizing the vents (45mm inlets), but I'm very happy with how smooth and driveable the IDA's are. I do think that some of this is the crank trigger setup, which has given me more control over my timing particularly at idle/progression and under load. Yes, 3rd hole drilled. It screams all the way to the rev limit (which currently kicks in hard at 5500rpm)
I did try 55 idles, wasn't happening. Bucking and backfiring. Smaller idle airs might work with the 60, but for now i'm gonna enjoy it Very Happy it is very smooth, and lots of power, and MPG on cruise just isn't a priority.
2003 911
www.hertfordshirevehiclestorage.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

We're off to Classics at the Clubhouse sunday (any other UK Ghia's attending?)

https://www.classicsattheclubhouse.com/

time to get her shiny Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2003 911
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Awesome car and love the modifications. Do you mind posting or sending me a PM on your steering wheel model?

You succeeded on the shiny part Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Awesome car and love the modifications. Do you mind posting or sending me a PM on your steering wheel model?

You succeeded on the shiny part Very Happy

Thanks, put 140 miles on her today and loved every mile.

itsawesty wrote:

Steering wheel is a momo heritage california. I'm really happy with how this all came out, time to get these gauges wired up.

its a momo heritage california. I had to use a 60's beetle column (no MOMO boss adapter for the earlier lowlight column). Sure i read somwehere beetle columns are a little shorter (it was shorter than my lowlight one) which helped with the additional length from the boss.
2003 911
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Saw your car on Sunday at Classics at the club house. Hell of a car you got there.... with the work to go with it. Smile
1969 T2 Deluxe
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

mooopers wrote:
Saw your car on Sunday at Classics at the club house. Hell of a car you got there.... with the work to go with it. Smile

Cheers Cool it was a good show, def one to add to the calender for next year.

Shame I wasn't about for a chat when you saw the car, next time
2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

picked up a nice accessory, rear tow hook Cool

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

heading home from classics at the clubhouse sunday the ghia caught some attention on the M25. Thanks to SM the photographer tracked me down and shared their photos

Cool Cool
2003 911
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Do you get any hassle from the police about no front plate?
1969 T2 Deluxe
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

itsawesty wrote:
heading home from classics at the clubhouse sunday the ghia caught some attention on the M25.
That is one sweet looking ride Cool
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

mooopers wrote:
Do you get any hassle from the police about no front plate?

not yet Shhh i carry a front plate with some rubber p-clips to attach it to the T-bars just in case. My 73 westy has no front plate either and not caused me any attention. I know a few folks who don't run one

crocteau wrote:
itsawesty wrote:
heading home from classics at the clubhouse sunday the ghia caught some attention on the M25.
That is one sweet looking ride Cool

thanks, the UK weather isn't doing the colour any favours, it really pops in the sunshine when we ever get it
2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

photoshoot time! coming to an edition of Volksworld soon. A couple of days cleaning and prepping the ghia for its photoshoot with Si Gray http://www.sigray.co.uk/ very cool and talented guy. Can't post too many photos and tbh iphone photos just don't work in this setting, with the lighting control Si has set-up. I can't wait to see his shots.

It was along but enjoyable day. Loaded the Ghia in our new enclosed trailer for the 3hr drive to Buxton (if any UK Ghia folks are needing enclosed transport, get in touch).

Back home, fresh wax and tucked up under a tailored fit Ghia cover for the winter. I have a few winter maintenance jobs to take care of (fresh oil, valves, clean carb jets and prob check/adjust K&L pins.
Tucked up for the winter with my (worryingly increasing) Hazet collection Cool

2003 911
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Love it!! Applause Applause

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

super stoked to see my Ghia on the cover of this months volksworld. I think the photos have came out really well and very happy with the article.

https://volksworld.com/

Car will be on display at Volksworld in a couple of weeks, which is shaping up ti be a bit of a Ghia fest based on the count of Karmann Ghia expected on display, and the GB owners club will have a special display.
anybody heading to volksworld?
2003 911
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Congrats Kenny...another award. I wasn't there but saw the pictures. A custom Chia indeed. Smile

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Congrats Kenny...another award. I wasn't there but saw the pictures. A custom Chia indeed. Smile

cheers John, it was an awesome show and a great weekend. I’m totally stoked with the award, emotions were high!
The organisers did a superb job yet again, and it was great to say hello (again) to all the traders who had played a part in making this ghia happen. The quality of the cars on show was incredible, with some big time historically important VW’s on display. a few photos of the weekend-

2003 911
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

FANTASTIC!!
CONGRATULATIONS !! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Congrats, I saw it at the Volksworld on Saturday looked even better than the first time I saw it at Classics at the club house.
1969 T2 Deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: