Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/24/business/stick-shift-collector-cars.html

Here are some interesting facts from the article.

For 1980, 35% of cars produced for sale in the United States had manual transmissions. Today, the share is about 1%. Only 18% of American drivers can drive a stick. This relative scarcity has collectors and enthusiasts salivating.

In 2019, sales of electric vehicles surpassed the sale of manual transmission cars.

"The tipping point, however, was actually the introduction of quick-shifting, hyper-efficient dual-clutch automatic transmissions a little over a decade ago, causing trendsetting sports car manufacturers to all but give up on the clutch pedal. Before that, a manual transmission was de rigueur in any serious performance car."

The article would not have been complete without the following joke which was included, "A common joke among car enthusiasts is that the stick shift has a new and unintended feature — as an anti-theft device."

As for us air cooled VW owners, since the great majority of our cars have stick shift, and since VW stopped importing them about 44 years ago, their value is not going to increase dramatically unless they are restored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

the unattainable is really attractive

All that predictable, really.
Little consolation then, that all quick shifting dual-clutch transmissions are in fact, manual transmissions, albeit automated. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I have 6 manual shift vehicles, including my 2 VWs.

Mrs. Cusser drives a Yukon.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Manual transmission equipped cars now seem to be a theft deterrent because less thieves know how to drive them? Very Happy
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
Manual transmission equipped cars now seem to be a theft deterrent because less thieves know how to drive them? Very Happy

Yep, just a sampling below. Dancing
https://fox59.com/news/carjacking-thwarted-because-thief-couldnt-drive-stick-shift-police-say/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/...63062.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591654/W...shift.html
https://www.al.com/breaking/2008/06/wouldbe_car_thief_cant_drive_a.html
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30150986/carjackers-cant-drive-stick-shift/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I was just speaking to the VW dealer last week....eventually contemplating a new Golf. The mk 8s never arrived and may never arrive....so everything available is mk7.....and limited.

They stated that even with the Golf....even with GTI and "R" models......it may be very hard to find a standard trans....and may actually need to be ordered.

Ray
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I have 5 cars. All of them have manual transmissions with a clutch pedal, even the newer one. I don't know how to drive an automatic...... Very Happy
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

It’s good to be the king- Mel Brooks

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Yes I’ve seen this same line of thinking on some other make car and truck forums, especially the truck fellows. Manual trans vs. Automatic???

Somehow you aren’t a man unless you can drive stick shift. 😀 shit you are not a man unless you can deliver a fresh Boeing 737 to the terminal.

I feel very manly in my stick shift New Beetle, in an estrogen -laden sort of way.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

In a way, i do pity those that have never "actually driven" a car. The only true driving experience, in terms of operator control and applying expertise, is having the torque at the rear wheels and having full control of which gear to be in at what speed and what conditions the "actual driver" is deciding to do at any moment in response to truly controlling the vehicle. You just can't do this with front wheel drive and auto trans, imho. Also driving without power steering or power brakes, combined with a lack of overall weight, makes for a road feel that is connected to the driver's ability level. This is why somebody with a muscle car who gets to drive bug then says..." that was like go-cart!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Pfft any real man uses 3 pedals, an ignition advance lever, throttle lever, neutral/handbrake lever, and a manual crank for starting.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

The thing I don't like about cars with automatic transmissions is that I don't control the shift points, and the damn things like to "hunt" at certain speeds. Maybe the technology has gotten better over the years...but maybe not. I hear a lot of the cars with automatic transmissions these days run into really expensive transmission repairs after about 80,000 miles or so. Ford, GMs, Toyotas newer VWs and Hondas, to name just a few. I've never had a transmission problem with any car I owned that had a manual.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I hear a lot of Subaru’s get their transmissions replaced with VW ones, user GeissZeit here can help you with that swap
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I hear a lot of Subaru’s get their transmissions replaced with VW ones,..

The Vanagon guys are installing Subaru transmissions....

I'm currently working on my 6th conversion of a Subaru trans for rear engine use.
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I was just speaking to the VW dealer last week....eventually contemplating a new Golf. The mk 8s never arrived and may never arrive....so everything available is mk7.....and limited.

They stated that even with the Golf....even with GTI and "R" models......it may be very hard to find a standard trans....and may actually need to be ordered.

Ray

The Mk8 Golf will ONLY be the GTI and R models in the U.S. They will be available in 6sp manual or 7sp DSG. But as you say it might be hard to find the manual. They are also being built in Germany now as Puebla is retooled to build the new Taos SUV. Mk8's should arrive here by November. This is what my dealer told me anyway.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Doesn't apply to VW's but if you really want to screw up the young get a 3 speed on the column. "3 on the tree" is beyond all understanding Very Happy
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
I have 5 cars. All of them have manual transmissions with a clutch pedal, even the newer one. I don't know how to drive an automatic...... Very Happy

Don't become a car thief...
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Pfft any real man uses 3 pedals, an ignition advance lever, throttle lever, neutral/handbrake lever, and a manual crank for starting.

Wimp. Get a horse.

Or walk
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

kirk1015 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

The Mk8 Golf will ONLY be the GTI and R models in the U.S. They will be available in 6sp manual or 7sp DSG. But as you say it might be hard to find the manual. They are also being built in Germany now as Puebla is retooled to build the new Taos SUV. Mk8's should arrive here by November. This is what my dealer told me anyway.

Good to hear!

One of my reasons for askimg about the Mk8's at the dealer.....is that i wanted to know if they were planning to import any "standard" Golfs.....and not just the transmission. The three basic models.....standard, GTI and R......everything ai have read has stated that IF "standard" model Golfs will be made....they will be four cylinder turbo like everything else....but will only be the 1.4L/140 hp engine.

My current 2012 Golf is a standard (with manual trans).....but had a convenience and winter package (premium stereo, heated everything, sunroof, monster matts etc.)....and a 2.5L five cylinder with 172hp.

While most VW owners state that the five cylinder is boring.....95% of them have a damn automatic. This thing rocks with a manual trans.....and just turned over 210k miles yeaterday.
I cant imagine spending an extra 4k over what I spent 9 years ago.....for 30hp less and higher maintenance.

So they are pushing all of the US into a GTI or R as your only choices....unless you want a "fat chick".....my term for a Jetta Laughing

Ray
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual transmission cars rising in value (NY Times) Reply with quote

I am teaching my daughter to drive stick shift in her 74 beetle. She just got her driver's license, and will turn 16 soon. She is doing OK, but has had a few freak outs and she is stressing herself out a little bit. She'll get it figured out. Or she'll ride her bike. Options.

We have 6 vehicles currently, not including a few motorcycles. Three stick shift, and three auto trans. All have their good and bad things about them. I prefer an auto in a full size truck, as it is much better for backing trailers and plowing snow. I prefer a stick shift in a small car as it is better for maintaining speed and staying in the powerband when necessary.

As to an anti-theft device, I like to park my single cab in a situation where you MUST use reverse to move the truck. Even if a thief can drive a manual, odds are the dipshit will never figure out how to find reverse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: