Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

ULU wrote:

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that this is not the time to convert the steering on my car.

There are a couple reasons that I have decided this, and one of them is money.

AWWWWW, come on guy!!

You need to get your priorities straight!! Laughing

I understand completely where you are coming from and agree wholeheartedly - FAMILY COMES FIRST!! Cool Cool Cool

In my case; I joke that my Daughter (we only have one child) and my Grandkids (we have two) are paying for my fishing trips, boat, and cars - I am spending their INHERITANCE!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

GOOD LUCK and STAY WELL!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

There are things I could sell off to make money but I hate to sell things. Otherwise, I might’ve sold his car shortly after receiving it, as I figured out how bad it really was.

I really did not like any of the aftermarket steering racks that I have found, for my application.

Maybe I could make the cheap Berretta rack work. I was just in the garage deciding if I should go spend $50 at a junkyard and get one to cut up.

I decided that, considering how this car is constructed, it would be no real impediment to changing the steering over later.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Does anyone make a good offset shaft manual rack and Pinion conversion kit for a Volkswagen bug beam axle?

I need the steering shaft to come out in approximately the same place as it would with the bug but I will be rotating the rack down to match my lower steering shaft angle.

Right now I have a ball joint beam axle vintage 1973 as far as I can tell. All the steering is stock Volkswagen so far except that the steering gear has been rotated on the beam axle as I mentioned.

The car is all custom and you can see it in my SS100 Kit Kar thread hereabouts.
I have plenty of latitude for clearance in the body or chassis as required.

It is obvious I can get an inexpensive rack and pinion set up from a Honda car new for $125... Probably lots of similar stuff is available on eBay, where I saw that, for Korean cars in Chinese cars etc.

I don’t wanna have to prototype the whole setup if I don’t have to.

Did the original manufacturer of the replica have issues in using VW steering box?

B
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Is there a way to use late super beetle rack and pinion parts? 1975-79 super had r&p.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

finefettle wrote:
Is there a way to use late super beetle rack and pinion parts? 1975-79 super had r&p.

The Super Beetle is front steer while the Beetle is rear steer.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Quote:

…Did the original manufacturer of the replica have issues in using VW steering box?…

How would I find that out?

The manufacturer folded up over 35 years ago, after making only a reputed 800 units. Personally, I would be surprised if they made 800 and I know that they were not all for Volkswagen, as some were made for the Pinto gear.

The thing is that I have big issues with the setup Bro.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

finefettle wrote:

The steering shaft on all these units is too far left. It fouls the bodywork.
To make it work the shaft sticks outside the body.

The stock 73 column and the straight tube shaft extension are lying on the floor in front of the car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you can see the hole where it penetrates the body side.

This is the hole where it penetrates the fender.

YUCK!

I thought I could get a wider rack that has too much travel and too many turns and cut the rack itself and narrow it to centralize it on my frame.

But it looks like one of these aftermarket dune buggy rack and Pinion’s would be the easy way to go if I could get one that had the proper travel and number of turns. So far that is not the case.

So my next thought was to go on a junkyard adventure, looking at racks from tiny European and Asian cars.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Ulu,

Even with that HIDEOUS steering gear arrangement, you've still got a very good-looking ride there!! Laughing Laughing

Sometimes even with the very best of intentions, guys just don't seem to grasp what some of us really enjoy about this hobby(?).

To me (and I sorta' feel that you fall into the same category), it's all about the "tinkering", making it better(?), and making it "Your Own". I will readily admit that in my case there is a little "Bring-and-Brag" syndrome also. Heck, that's what car shows and cruise-ins are for!! Rolling Eyes

With my Type 35, the external exposure of the steering column and gear is not an issue since the original was actually that configuration. I have actually gone with chrome and dressed it up. However, I just don't really like the "feel" of the VW steering box and would just prefer converting to R&P. It's certainly not a "deal-breaker", but we old engineers never die, we just tinker away.

GOOD LUCK, STAY WELL, and above all - ENJOY!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

texastomeh wrote:
Ulu,

Even with that HIDEOUS steering gear arrangement, you've still got a very good-looking ride there!! . . .

Thank you Tom,

I just wish there wasn’t so much hideous rust on the frame. But then again I really wanted to change the whole arrangement ahead of the firewall.

No . . . the truth is, I wanted to just buy the car and drive it, but of course you know that never happens how we want.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Not knowing which Benz that replica is supposed to be, I'd leave it alone. Cover the hole in the fender with a 'reverse scoop' like what's coming out of the bodywork, or even a shift boot with the neck held open so the shaft can turn unimpeded. There are plenty of vintage pre-war cars that have their steering gear outside the bodywork... embrace it and drive the car Smile
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Benz?
You just kinda dropped in cold here, huh?
Check out the SS100 Kit Kar thread below, Wink
It’s supposed to be the prototypical Jaguar.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes what .. ever..

They all look fairly similar, so no, I did not look at the SS100 thread.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea bro.

And re the SS100 thread, it will be 90 pages long before the SS is running again. Embarassed
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Years ago I worked for an auto parts store and had access to the picture books. I was looking into a rack that may work for a beetle pan. As it also happened at the time a VW Quantum was in the local junkyard. I pulled it to get a look at it. I think with a little creative mounting it may work. This one was a power rack but they might have had non power as well. One thing I did was reverse the center bracket for the picture. Have a look. I never actually made this work but I think it would (with a bit of fabrication) If my memory serves it was 2 1/2 from center position either way.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

@glassbuggy
Thank you for the photo. I am sure I will eventually come up with a rack that works.

2.5 turns would work as well as what I have now.

I am really getting about 1.4 turns right but only 1.2 turns left
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

I have actually driven this car 20 miles now and many things have come to light.

Also: Just an update to let folks know that I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Some of you have been priceless in saving me work and avoiding trouble.

I not given up on this R&P idea, I want to change it more than ever now.

Imagine that my steering wheel is nearly stock diameter, but my wheelbase is 13.5” longer than a ‘73 Beetle. Easily you will realize that the steering is very slow. Painfully slow. So slow I am tempered to put on the “off-road-only” quick-steer adaptor to the pitman arm. Or reforge it longer.

But faster steering and more progression would be a boon, when driving at even modest speeds. If this is ever to be more than a trailer queen she needs help.
Pajero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing a Kerscher R&P and so far it looks like it's going to work well.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

That really looks great on the Ghia buggy but would stick out on my car.
Literally . . . I think it would penetrate the whole front valance.

Last edited by Ulu on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

I had to knock this bracket down because the stock stabilizer rubbed the underside of front valance.

mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rack and Pinion for Kustom Bugs? Reply with quote

Pajero, I installed an R&P kit from Alex which is similar to yours.

What are you using for the connection between the steering column and the rack? I couldn't find anything that would match the splines on the rack.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: