Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Looking for a left side dash panel where I can mount a 2-5/8" Autometer tach and two 2-1/16 gauges. All I find is a 3-1/8" tach hole in all the one's I've looked at. Anyone know where one could be had? Thanks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

My VW Dashboard Gauges, first installed in 1977. I cut the stock grill to make these fit (I don't know if aftermarket grills were available then).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My VW Dashboard Gauges, first installed in 1977. I cut the stock grill to make these fit (I don't know if aftermarket grills were available then).

How did you cut the holes without tearing up the thin grills?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:

I’ve thought about that too. I suspect my X-ACTO knife could slice through that cleanly. Maybe some nice wire cutters. I dunno. Looking forward to how it’s done.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

When I installed mine, I used a hole saw and very minimal pressure, and snugly pressed against a wooden backing. The thin slats did bend a little bit, but they were easy to straighten.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Tin snips

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel on mine, cut the hole slightly too small then worked my way out til the gauges fit snugly.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Ahhh. So the grill is metal. I thought it was plastic.

When someone has time. I would love to see a picture of the back of the gauges from inside the trunk. Thank you.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Ahhh. So the grill is metal. I thought it was plastic.

When someone has time. I would love to see a picture of the back of the gauges from inside the trunk. Thank you.

Yep, the grills are steel

And sure, please excuse the grunge -

The newer VDO gauges I'm using have a threaded body, the keeper screws on from the back and sandwiches the grill + backer to the gauge's front lip.
Backer is a plastic For Sale sign I rattledcanned, the original was too deteriorated to reuse.
So at least in my case the large gauge sits in the speaker hole and is just supported by the grill, can see the grill's retaining tabs around the edge; I have them just barely bent incase I needed to remove it again, it's been holding fine like that.
Looking at the pic I 'spose I could remove the former speaker's retainer, lol, but it's apparently not hurting anything.

Smaller side gauges are similar, but the keeper can engage the dash metal as well (you'll need to cut holes in the dash for them).
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Thanks windfish.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Aftermarket gauge panels are usually for 67 and earlier cars. The panels for the later padded dash models are physically smaller. So for the later cars you don't really have an option besides DIY
HarrysRatBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

AirCoolin Parts on EBay has solid ones for the later models w/padded dash. I think he is on here as well!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

HarrysRatBug wrote:
AirCoolin Parts on EBay has solid ones for the later models w/padded dash. I think he is on here as well!

Do you have a link? I tried searching "aircoolin parts" on ebay and got zero results.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HarrysRatBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

AirCoolin Parts EBay seller info cdk1974 (33665). Can't get my puter to do a link!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Found it, thanks.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

Would like to hear from someone who actually tried to use these on a later car with padded dash, since in the description it also says for 62-67.
keg184
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Panels for 2-5/8" Autometer tach?? Reply with quote

I made my own dash panels. Only took a few hours. I made them so they bolt in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: