Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
The original 40-Horse in my '61 Beetle is a few thousand shy of 100,000, case never split, uses no oil. It's a trooper.
Aye, without knowing anything about Bugs, I bought a beat-up '63 rag sunroof 40-horse. Brakes didn't work, clutch barely alive, burned-out stock exhaust, etc. No idea of original milage or how many owners, LOL.

Fixed the brakes, changed the trans oil, adjusted the clutch, and put on a hide-away exhaust. Changed the oil, adjusted the valves, new plugs/points, etc. Changed the main jet on the stock carb because I thought the exhaust needed it (wrong - too rich, but what did I know?).

Drove that car between Tucson, AZ and Phoenix almost every week for many years. This was at a white-knuckle 55-60mph while 18 wheelers blew by at 75-80mph!

Without an oil filter, I changed the oil every fourth weekend, 13 times a year. Cleaned the air filter every oil change, and checked the valves every other. Cleaned/gapped the plugs/points frequently.

That kind of basic attention to detail yielded 120,000 miles in AZ heat and cold! 30's to 110+ (it's a dry heat, though...).
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

The early engines were built like they had a governer on the engine with the tiny carbs and manifolds and pea shooter exhaust and muffler systems.

Made to last with pedal to the metal all day.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
The early engines were built like they had a governer on the engine with the tiny carbs and manifolds and pea shooter exhaust and muffler systems. . .Made to last with pedal to the metal all day.
................................................................................................................ i think why the motors in the 1960s and 1970s lasted longer was because there was better gas at the pumps reg. gas was 96 to 98 oct. with lead in the gas . not this 87 oct. gas . we have to deal with now . with no lead the biggest thing that hurts a air cooled motor now a days is the valve guides wear out . every one says the single port heads would hold up . not true they had soft valve seats i have seen the valve seats come lose and fall out on the 1967 to 1969 single port heads over the years . vw did install hard valve seat s in the 1970 single port motor heads . dont get me wrong i had many single port vws over the years . that ran good but i all so had them drop ex valves and valve seats . . but i used to run the dog shit out of them when i was young . and drag race them on the street . just my two cents spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

I always run the highest octane i can get in my air-cooleds. Fortunately I live in an area where I can get 93 octane anywhere, higher at some stations. Better gas does certainly help an air-cooled engine live longer. Here's an article from a couple years back about the auto industry lobbying to get 95 octane rated as the new regular.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20180417/BLOG06/1...ew-regular
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

I Rebuilt a 59 Beatle 36 Horse once, It went about 55000 before spinning a rod bearing.
My 71 Bus went about 25K with a pretty much stock 1600, it was still running but the case had hammered out both the thrust and the mains, the crankshaft was worn on the mains, and one of the rods was into the copper of its bearings. The rebuild was with Thick Wall 88mm cylinders and H beam rods and balanced and matched clutch and flywheel and balanced and matched Counter Weighted 74mm Crankshaft, fully 14mm inserted 10mm studs with Full Flow oiling and a Filter and a Webcam 163 with Dual 36mm Dells. It's still going with 25K and has good endplay.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

I like hearing about how many miles people have put on a type1 engine and how they’ve maintained them. Real life experience.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my buddy’s 59 double door panel van. He drives it daily in hilly Oregon. We’ve crossed over many mountain passes over the years camping.
Sunday as we headed back home the engine finally seized after possibly 240,000 miles.

The engine being used is from his 73 Ghia all stock US spec and he suspects original from VW. He ran it in his Ghia for many years and the engine had 90k miles when he bought the Ghia. We don’t know how accurate that is. He knows he’s put 150,000k miles. So we know at a minimum it lived many many miles. My buddy is an engine builder. He also works for a VW restoration outfit for a living.
He had a feeling this was going to happen this year but out of curiosity he wanted to see how long the unicorn would go. Thankfully he broke down 98 miles from home at put that AAA to use. For the record, he loves a stock 1600 single port set up. He may go big for the new engine for fun. Because he’s never made a big engine from himself. He hasn’t made up his mind yet.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

^^^^ Bummer!

Hopefully he has an engine in the wings to get the bus back on the road for the summer camping season.

Send him my condolences. I should have gone on that trip. But family takes precedence over camping with friends. Smile

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
^^^^ Bummer!

Hopefully he has an engine in the wings to get the bus back on the road for the summer camping season.

Send him my condolences. I should have gone on that trip. But family takes precedence over camping with friends. Smile

Yup he had a spare in his shop. He dialed it yesterday. I was going to offer up one of yours in a pinch Wink Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What T-1 engine -1948 to end, is most reliable & last longest Reply with quote

Then you have Robbie of Airschooled. He crosses the country a few times a year in a 1969 tin top camper loaded with tools. The engine used in this photo is a 1600sp that he built. Only issue it had was a failed Brazilian lifter around 60k miles. A known issue with that particular lifter.
With the good fortune of friends with parts in Colorado, he was back on the road in a couple days. He got 90,000 miles before he replaced that engine. I believe current 1600sp has about 60k miles.

I believe he’s done Pikes Peak twice Shocked

airschooled wrote:
We stuck in a new old generator and climbed Pike's Peak. 14,115 feet.

Apart from an experimental air jet swap in Maryland, I have not adjusted the engine since sea level. (edited)

Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: