Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip Reply with quote

It is high time to replace the window rubbers and felts on the '88 Vanagon. While I'm at it, I'd like to install a power window kit, tighten up the wing vent window hinges so they stay open, and strip off the window tint film.

Any tips on all this?

Specifically I'm wondering:
- I've never ever removed glass from a vehicle. Would you recommend buying the rubbers (from where? the stuff is spendy!) and bringing it to an auto glass place to do?
- Is the GoWesty power window kit okay? The van has power mirrors (which don't work) if that matters. I read something about factory harnesses . . . ?
- Vent window tightening - seems irritating but simple?
- To remove tint film, do you like steaming, heat gun, or chemicals?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip Reply with quote

If you want to save some coin, just change the bottom scrapers (two outers, two inners). Unless the others are really shot and you hear whistling on the highway, I would leave them be.

For the power mirrors, first check the wires inside the rubber boots at the door jambs. Most likely broken wire(s) there.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip Reply with quote

I can sell you a proper set of power window regulators with wiring and switches, I would avoid those Add on units. There are clunky and slow. For not a lot more money you can an OE set up

As far as removing tint, glass cleaner and a bunch of fresh razor blades. Changing those scrapers is an easy job. Depending on the year, I only change the outside scraper as well as the run channel felt and the run in the back of the vent glass. Go Westy has an excellent video on that job, buy them from GW and then watch their video.

On Daly vans with chrome door openings, I just grab the chrome and completely remove it, a good pull and it comes right out from behind the vent rubber.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip Reply with quote

OE would be nice! PM sent.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip Reply with quote

I just had some very old tint on mine and it chipped off like loose paint.
After it was all gone I washed with sprayaway "world's best glass cleaner" and it all cleaned up fine.

I have read that one can tape plastic (like a section of a trash bag) to the inside of the windows and spray ammonia in there and leave it in the sun for a little while and it melts the tint gum. No experience on that but it sounds about right. Not a big problem if you have the glass out you could put both windows in a trash bag and soak them, close the bag and leave in the sun.

I got my new window rubber from either can cafe or go westy. I don't remember the cost was too much different. Go westy has a utube vid on the process but I'd be a little more fussy than they show regarding cutting the top part to fit because they end up with gaps.
I'd cut it long and keep testing and grind off excess with maybe 50 grit sanding disc on a 4.5" grinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Seals/Felts, Power Windows, Vent Windows, and Tint Strip Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I can sell you a proper set of power window regulators with wiring and switches, I would avoid those Add on units. There are clunky and slow.

Can't comment on any particular person's refurb'ed OEM stuff, but the GW kit is clunky and slow IF your manual regulators are in perfect shape, and your felt and scrapers are well worn. Otherwise, you're lucky if it can close the windows at all. Fought my GW kit for a couple of years (including replacing the drive assemblies with a kit off Epay) and threw them away earlier this year. The plastic tubes on the drive assemblies just disintegrate in the heat here - not sure if they'd last any longer in cooler climates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: